Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Unfortunately it is much more complicated than that. The electrical system can be simple, but once they add computer software into it so every system can talk with each other, it becomes complicated. So far he has been to the dealer around 9 times, if I can remember correctly. The check engine light comes on and The car goes into a limp mode. Toyota is keep changing parts on that Prius and still happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Under warranty?

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
At least in California, electric vehicles are the future. For commuting it's definitely the way to go. Technology is improving by leaps and bounds every year. I haven't seen anything proposed that would make me consider replacing my FJ, but I have no doubt it's coming. I have an EV (Chevy Bolt) for my commute and the FJ for fun.

In approx 10 years, when it takes 15 minutes to get a full charge with 600 miles of range ... there will be no range anxiety or fear of running out of juice on a trail. Instant torque, 4 motors to crawl over the trickiest terrain, no altitude power-drain ... It's coming, so grab your popcorn.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have solar at the house and considered buying a volt or other electric but the range issue held me back so my daily driver for the next 10 years is my oil burner vw TDI. That has travel range that I can count on. Can't wait for the tech that gives me 4 independent electric motors for wheeling off road:grin

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,334 Posts
Maybe they have a deal like Apple to save the battery when it's old so it doesn't just die..... :wink
Then taxes would rise as there’d be no income from speeding fines as your Toyota was running on half power and not able to break the limits...:wink

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,334 Posts
I don’t know, whilst I do see the need to replace the combustion engine with something cleaner I don’t think electric is the way to go unless someone can find a way to store it efficiently and without the need for precious metals and other elements that cause their own issues. Rememebr the Hummer is greener than a Prius argument... there was a lot of truth in that article.

It all smells a bit like the old times of oil conglomerates dictating that the diesel engine had to run on oil when it was designed to be green long before it was trendy... all because of the power of corporations

·
トヨタ Master
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Should I have named this the petroleum vs. electric car thread? :thinkerg:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts