Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another oil thread, just having trouble decided if I should do something. I've got about 6500 miles on my current oil, it Toyota factory synthetic 0w-20, on a 2010 FJ with 150k miles. Most of the miles on this oil are highway/interestate miles in extended trips, 10 hours at a time. Oil still looks pretty clean.

I'm not near home where I have a case of Redline waiting to get put in, and deciding on whether or not to get another oil change now. I've got 2500 miles to go before getting home, again 98% highway miles.

Seems like the toyota factory synthetic should be good for 10k miles, especially with this driving use. I'm usually proactive and change early, but in this case it's a PITA and will take a day to get it changed before the trip.

Anyone know about the toyota factory synthetic quality and how it lasts on extended changes?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
"Seems like the toyota factory synthetic should be good for 10k miles ...".

But that's just pure speculation, correct?

Unless you send a sample off for oil analysis to determine the TBN value and contamination levels, you really are totally in the dark as far as the oil's ability to provide adequate protection for 10K miles, even given the near ideal (primarily high-speed highway) usage.

Given the known susceptibility of the timing chain in these engines to elongate with poor oil change history, I'd change the oil now for complete peace of mind.

And if you are more concerned with long-term engine longevity than with an improvement of .03 MPG in fuel consumption, I would run 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil rather than 0W-20. 0W-20 was ONLY ever recommended in the USA where Toyota needed to meet stringent government CAFE fuel economy standards. In all other global markets, the oil viscosity recommendations for the EXACT same 1GR-FE engine included viscosities as high as 15W-40.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I bought my 2011 4Runner with 38k on it, I waited the recommended 10K interval for changing the oil...twice. (becuase the dealer did it for "free") After, I started changing every 5k no matter what. When I met my wife's 07 FJ, I started changing hers every 5K as well. Mobil 1 Synthetic on both. I live in Phoenix, so summer heat plays a big factor in my decision to change every 5K.

You could probably go the 10K if you had to, just change it when you get home and go easy on the freedom pedal until you can change it.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
If I recall right my service book show’s two schedules, one for extreme use and one for normal, the latter being a 10,000mile interval for oil change not 5.
True, except Toyota cuts the oil change interval in half (to 5K miles) for vehicles operated under "special Operating Conditions":
Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads;
Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading;
Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below 32°F / 0°C;
Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for a long distance such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use.

(Granted, none of these seem to be the conditions the OP is operating under.)

Having had multiple oil analyses performed on my FJ with the use of a premium full synthetic oil, under the worst-case driving conditions the TBN would have approached my "comfort-zone" lower limit at about 8,500 miles (I never actually run the oil past 6.500 miles).

Given the minimal cost to perform an oil change, and the expectation to have the engine internals in good condition at 300K miles, I'd change the oil now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Agree, I change my oil out at max 5,000 miles regardless and I drain oil that looks as fresh as the day it went in. I do not use the recommended 0W20 but 5W30 as recommended for RoW for this engine
It may look as fresh as the day it went in but that is surely not the story on what actually comes out of the pan at 5k miles. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! I went digging and found a my drain plug washer and oil filter wrench and did the change today. I'm out in the country and thought I was going to have to drive to town to get this done.

I already had Redline 0w-20, otherwise I would have bumped the viscosity a bit based on the comments, at least for summer. I don't like to do this in winter as I get bouts of -30, and though my FJ starts right up, I don't like to run thicker oil in the winter in anything.

@FJtest What's the average bump up or recommendation in viscosity? with 0-20 as a low, and 15-40 as a high, do people run 0-30 or 5-30 on average?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I was going to add ... "based on your winter low temperatures".

If you see -30F, then 5W-30 is appropriate, but even more important than oil viscosity is letting the engine run for a few minutes before starting out, and even then driving very conservatively (low RPM and minimal throttle opening) until engine temperature reaches 160F or more.

I always run Torque Pro, monitoring a whole list of engine parameters, and always let engine temperature reach 100F before driving off. In moderate So California, this is only a minute of warm-up.

I have run Mobil-1 10W-30 in multiple Toyota trucks for the past 20+ years, again all in So California, but with multiple overnight stays in sub-freezing weather in various states, always with instant starting and instant oil pressure.

·
Registered
2013 Iceberg White
36 Posts
0W-20 was ONLY ever recommended in the USA where Toyota needed to meet stringent government CAFE fuel economy standards. In all other global markets, the oil viscosity recommendations for the EXACT same 1GR-FE engine included viscosities as high as 15W-40.
Stuff like this seriously chaps my hide. Thanks for this little tidbit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts