2,160 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts

for the fun of it, lol
great approach angle
maximum "unuseable" space
keeping that sliding door

wait... isnt it too similar to that vw camper now?
now ot looks like a 18 wheel truck. lol

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I'm not sure what you guys are all looking at!?! That CAD drawing looks like the real deal to me..they just have it covered/camouflaged to confuse prying eyes! Nice find CC.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
The bumper LEDs make it look like the 4Runner Limited.

Based on the previous two concepts I think Toyota is trying to make an FJ-styled CUV, probably to compete with Jeep's Trailhawks. It's interesting that they chose to debut this at the same auto show as the new generation Wrangler. IMO, I doubt Toyota will offer a real body-on-frame FJ successor anytime in the near future. Whatever it is, I swear they better not call it causualcore again.

Now if Toyota wanted to make a REAL Wrangler fighter all they have to do is give us this...:grin

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
^^ that has so much chrome potential.
chrome a pillar
chrome fender
chrome wheel
chrome bumper wings
chrome door handle

the oval headlight killed it for me.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
New teaser photo of the powerplant!! It looks like a hybrid of sorts....

·
Desert Moderator
6,067 Posts
why do they keep teasing off-road concept vehicles, that are not off-road?

Just build a proper off-roader, and then a bunch of millennial golf carts for the masses.

Which I find all really strange, because Toyota has a very big following in very remote / developing countries. Inspite the b.s. about the whole world moving to the cities next year, it simply is not true. In fact, many of the developing (and developed world) urban zones, have such crap roads an off-roader is actually useful.

All these Toyota concept vehicles have what I like to call "millennial tech and design". That is what I call something when some piece of technology, that has basically gone as far as it is going to go, get's messed with by some frigen millennial, simply because they got to mess with it to have an excuse to call it their own. They are not even solving a problem, just changing the paint color or whatever cosmetic thing. I fired all the millennials that worked for me, because they all insisted on trying to "improve" on things, that did not need improving. Sorry guys, your going to have to get a bit more original before the World will let you put your name on crap. Hopefully there are still some adults working at Toyota, to fix this before the final production starts.
Toyota have bulletproof 4WDs - They are called LandCruiser and HiLux. that's what lives in the real world.

·
Desert Moderator
6,067 Posts
The bumper LEDs make it look like the 4Runner Limited.

Based on the previous two concepts I think Toyota is trying to make an FJ-styled CUV, probably to compete with Jeep's Trailhawks. It's interesting that they chose to debut this at the same auto show as the new generation Wrangler. IMO, I doubt Toyota will offer a real body-on-frame FJ successor anytime in the near future. Whatever it is, I swear they better not call it causualcore again.

Now if Toyota wanted to make a REAL Wrangler fighter all they have to do is give us this...:grin
That's a bastardised SWB LC70.
They are bulletproof, but they would be hated in the US market. They are slow, uncomfortable, have zero creature comforts, and old fashioned styling.
The LC70, despite having a sold axle in the front has shiity front flex compared to a Jeep (or even an FJ).
LC70s are not built for flex pose shots, nor are they built for mall cruising. The vast, vast majority of them are unmodified (apart from an HMG or rocket pod mounted in the back) and operate in te shiitiest environments on the planet with minimal, basic maintenance only for at least 500,000 km.
If you want a tool, get a toyota. If you want a toy, buy a Jeep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Toyota have bulletproof 4WDs - They are called LandCruiser and HiLux. that's what lives in the real world.
The thing is, -most- people wouldn't use an FJ for work. (I do, but I don't need to haul people or things, I just need the off-road capability).

So for the hardcore 4x4 real-world use in North America, 99% of the population use trucks.

For the Sunday commute, groceries or taking family to the beach, the 4Runner is better than the FJ.

For long range, off road stuff. All those LandCruisers and HiLux's would be perfect for? There just isn't a market for them here. Why? Because you have to search out that sort of stuff.

In the lower 48, what is the absolute furthest you could ever go without hitting a paved road? I mean not even crossing it, or coming within 10 miles of one. Probably not very far. And even if you could find an area, you really have to search!

Where they sell the LandCruisers and Hilux's, that sort of area is just 'oh about 10 klicks outa town mate!'.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
In the lower 48, what is the absolute furthest you could ever go without hitting a paved road? I mean not even crossing it, or coming within 10 miles of one. Probably not very far. And even if you could find an area, you really have to search!
While not as remote as AB, North of Wamsutter, Wyoming and Blind Canyon, Utah would fit your criteria.

Dodge 2500 with Cummins is probably the vehicle of choice in those areas.
Would the ranchers in those areas buy a Toyota? Hell no, they still think we're fighting the Japs. >:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Would the ranchers in those areas buy a Toyota? Hell no, they still think we're fighting the Japs. >:D
I once got into a "discussion" with a chap who thought my '14 Tacoma was a foreign car. I pointed out that my Tacoma was made in San Antonio, and that his Chevy 1500 was made in Mexico. He wasn't impressed. lol

Charlie

·
Desert Moderator
6,067 Posts
I once got into a "discussion" with a chap who thought my '14 Tacoma was a foreign car. I pointed out that my Tacoma was made in San Antonio, and that his Chevy 1500 was made in Mexico. He wasn't impressed. lol

Charlie
Not just made, but designed. The Taco, Tundra, Seqoia, Camry (and Prius I think) are all American cars. More American than an "American" brand.
Jeeps I believe are mostly American, but they are built with unionized labour so by definition are substandard.

·
Desert Moderator
6,067 Posts
The thing is, -most- people wouldn't use an FJ for work. (I do, but I don't need to haul people or things, I just need the off-road capability).

So for the hardcore 4x4 real-world use in North America, 99% of the population use trucks.

For the Sunday commute, groceries or taking family to the beach, the 4Runner is better than the FJ.

For long range, off road stuff. All those LandCruisers and HiLux's would be perfect for? There just isn't a market for them here. Why? Because you have to search out that sort of stuff.

Where they sell the LandCruisers and Hilux's, that sort of area is just 'oh about 10 klicks outa town mate!'.
Here, where we have a full range of 'yota models (except 4Runner, Taco, & highlander) Hilux and LC70 are 100% work vehicles and not driven for pleasure. The Toyota SUVs (LC200, 150 Prado, Lexus GX, Lexus LX, Fortuner, Sequoia, FJ) are family and leisure vehicles, as is the Tundra.
The Taco might have a market here in the leisure truck market - The Ford Ranger is reasonably popular, as are the full sized trucks (Tundra, F150, Silverado, Ram 1500).
The 4Runner is a North America only variant based on the J150 platform (FJ, Prado, GX) and sits between the LC150 Prado and Fortuner in the SUV market. The Fortuner is based on the Hilux platform, and with the latest model design work moved from Thailand to Australia, and as a result has moved a little more upmarket closer to the Prado, but both models have good sales.

And Yes - You can still buy new FJs here. I drove past a massive billboard advertising the Xtreme editions of FJ, LC200 & Fortuner today, and they're still on toyota.ae (and in the showrooms)

·
Registered
119 Posts
O.k., yea, I had one of those "bulletproof" hilux nearly burn to the ground on me about a month ago while parked.

There is this myth, mostly among Americans that don't get to drive them much, that the Hilux is some sort of tank that nothing can stop.

Not all hilux are equal. How good they are depends radically on what country they were built in, and what years.

The one that lit on fire, literally filled the cab with smoke from an electrical fire, was built in Argentina, and was a 2013. A short, caused by a plate that protects the muffler, came loose and rubbed through the wiring harness. The entire wiring harness had to be replaced, after taking out the dash, the transmission, and not sure as I sort lost interest in following the rebuilt due to it not being my truck. My mechanic said that I was lucky it did not just turn in to a molten pile of metal.

That same truck had holes worn in the fenders, from gravel. Like it sort of looked like it had been shot with buck shot, from the inside out. Bunch of other problems showing up with fairly moderate driving, for a pickup marketed as being bullet proof.

That was pretty well maintained hilux too, however when driven it was not babied. It was a work truck in rural part of the Patagonia, but was only driven about 3 months out of the year. It spent most of its life in storage.

Don't get me wrong, the Hilux, for utility pickup are some of the better ones out there. The problem is in recent years Toyota seems to be building them for fleet vehicles (e.g. mining companies, construction companies, rentals, ISIS, etc), expecting them to be turned over after a few years. Think the bean counters final figured out that there was no money in building most of them to last anymore.

My point is, that their build quality, depending on the market, is not as bulletproof as their reputation.

On the other hand, I have driven a 2001 hilux (believe built in Brazil but can not recall for sure), that is still going strong, and it had 200,000+ km in 2004 when it was bought used. It was driven under the same conditions, and even worse, as the one above that is basically melting down.

The point is, the large variety of hilux I see (they are most common vehicle in chile due to the mining industry), come in all types of different quality of build. I would say radically different qualities of build, depending on year and country of origin.

·
トヨタ Master
6,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
And Yes - You can still buy new FJs here. I drove past a massive billboard advertising the Xtreme editions of FJ, LC200 & Fortuner today, and they're still on toyota.ae (and in the showrooms)
Hey buddy, pick me up one next time your out, k? You can bring it over to me when you finally come to Summit for the 1st time. >:D

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
It's great and all that Toyota likes to tease us with these concepts BUT, if they are serious about an FJ replacement, then they should damn well keep the grill and headlights true to the original just as they did with the FJC! Changing the whole look and slapping an FJ sticker on it isn't going to cut it.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
I didn't really want to know that. :crying

Charlie

UPDATE: I checked out the website, and I feel a little better, because you can only get an FJ with an automatic. lol

21 - 40 of 58 Posts