Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
I didn't really want to know that. :crying

Charlie

UPDATE: I checked out the website, and I feel a little better, because you can only get an FJ with an automatic. lol
Not sure if you can get an MT as a special order though. That used to be the case.

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
O.k., yea, I had one of those "bulletproof" hilux nearly burn to the ground on me about a month ago while parked.

There is this myth, mostly among Americans that don't get to drive them much, that the Hilux is some sort of tank that nothing can stop.

Not all hilux are equal. How good they are depends radically on what country they were built in, and what years.

The one that lit on fire, literally filled the cab with smoke from an electrical fire, was built in Argentina, and was a 2013. A short, caused by a plate that protects the muffler, came loose and rubbed through the wiring harness. The entire wiring harness had to be replaced, after taking out the dash, the transmission, and not sure as I sort lost interest in following the rebuilt due to it not being my truck. My mechanic said that I was lucky it did not just turn in to a molten pile of metal.

That same truck had holes worn in the fenders, from gravel. Like it sort of looked like it had been shot with buck shot, from the inside out. Bunch of other problems showing up with fairly moderate driving, for a pickup marketed as being bullet proof.

That was pretty well maintained hilux too, however when driven it was not babied. It was a work truck in rural part of the Patagonia, but was only driven about 3 months out of the year. It spent most of its life in storage.

Don't get me wrong, the Hilux, for utility pickup are some of the better ones out there. The problem is in recent years Toyota seems to be building them for fleet vehicles (e.g. mining companies, construction companies, rentals, ISIS, etc), expecting them to be turned over after a few years. Think the bean counters final figured out that there was no money in building most of them to last anymore.

My point is, that their build quality, depending on the market, is not as bulletproof as their reputation.

On the other hand, I have driven a 2001 hilux (believe built in Brazil but can not recall for sure), that is still going strong, and it had 200,000+ km in 2004 when it was bought used. It was driven under the same conditions, and even worse, as the one above that is basically melting down.

The point is, the large variety of hilux I see (they are most common vehicle in chile due to the mining industry), come in all types of different quality of build. I would say radically different qualities of build, depending on year and country of origin.
Yeah it's not true that the HiLux is unstoppable - that's the LC70. The HiLux is just hard to stop.
Your post brings up some good points though - why are Toyotas so reliable?
Part of it is core build engineering - engines & chassis especially are over engineered. Then comes simplicity - the number of electrical do-hickeys are minimised unless they are reliable, so no trick electronically controlled suspension, mechanical linkages to transmission etc, - they don't have fancy digital dashes etc.
Granted - the HiLux family are renown for plastic sh1t falling off (front fender liners especially, and front plastic bumpers are pretty vulnerable, but generally the mechanical and electrical bits are super reliable and waterproof.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
TOYOTA FT-AC CONCEPT

I see a little Matrix, Rav4, Subaru Crosstrek, CH-R, and a hint of Tacoma grille. Tires look fairly large, maybe 31 or 32 when compared to the bike tire on the back. The sunshade looks a little like a faring off of an aftermarket roof rack. I see no door handles, solenoids? Something else to fail perhaps. The rear looks a little Grand Cherokee-esk and it's kinda ugly but I kind of like it too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Looks like another crossover, but nicer. It's not square enough or remotely FJ-ish enough for me.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Just watched the unveiling video and the guy talked about adventure and getting out and then the removable this and the removable that and how it can be controlled by your cell phone and the massive 20" wheels and getting mud on it makes it right and good and blah, blah, blah........ Nothing shown or said about the interior or drive train. It's go stuff that's removable and controlled by your cell phone so you can drive whoever steals the stuff nuts by turning things on and off. It's got skid plates to protect things because of the ground clearance with the massive 20" wheels. It doesn't look bad, but it's not an FJ replacement or off road vehicle to me.

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
As cars go it's not bad. To compete with an offroad rig it's a fail... not that any of us are shocked though, lol.

·
トヨタ Master
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
That looks an alot like the new Rav 4
Funny you mention that, I just saw a Lexus commercial the other night. Looks identical except for the offroady stuff and higher stance.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts