Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
81 - 100 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL

Enough with the socker mom bull****. The 4runner is too expensive, getting all done up in leather and electronics etc... I hardly ever see offroad people driving one. Mostly I see women driving them, and not the type that like the great out doors...

A Diesel can get 25-30mpg... one of the biggest turn-offs for the FJ and 4runner is pathetic fuel mileage. Also tow capacity isn't anything remarkable. Were it as good as a diesel would offer, I could see people buying these for work vehicles all the time if outfitted like a survivalish vehicle. Ford is about to release a diesel, and they have already bent Toyota over the knee and spanked them mercilessly... and it's just getting worse. (Jeep has had one out for awhile, but you have to a little crazy to buy one of those things that fall apart)

FJ needs diesel power plant (you people that say it won't happen make me sick inside, go away & take your excuses with you), good attachment points for winches, racks, trailer hitch, and tow hook. Simplify the body panels and inside pieces... Price will be very reasonable and people will flock to it. And I mean all ages of people.

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts
DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL

Enough with the socker mom bull****. The 4runner is too expensive, getting all done up in leather and electronics etc... I hardly ever see offroad people driving one. Mostly I see women driving them, and not the type that like the great out doors...

A Diesel can get 25-30mpg... one of the biggest turn-offs for the FJ and 4runner is pathetic fuel mileage. Also tow capacity isn't anything remarkable. Were it as good as a diesel would offer, I could see people buying these for work vehicles all the time if outfitted like a survivalish vehicle. Ford is about to release a diesel, and they have already bent Toyota over the knee and spanked them mercilessly... and it's just getting worse. (Jeep has had one out for awhile, but you have to a little crazy to buy one of those things that fall apart)

FJ needs diesel power plant (you people that say it won't happen make me sick inside, go away & take your excuses with you), good attachment points for winches, racks, trailer hitch, and tow hook. Simplify the body panels and inside pieces... Price will be very reasonable and people will flock to it. And I mean all ages of people.
I'll bet my left testicle there won't be a diesel FJ.
1) Diesel in light vehicles is being legislated out of existence in most countries
2) It'll likely be a 2.0-ish (turbo) petrol hybrid. It won't be a bro-dozer.
3) Hybrids have more power, more torque, better economy, and lower emissions than diseasle.

·
トヨタ Master
15,238 Posts

A Diesel can get 25-30mpg... one of the biggest turn-offs for the FJ and 4runner is pathetic fuel mileage.
You might wanna travel to the Rockies as there are about 2:1 4Runners to X-vehicle out here on the trails. Jeeps are a close 2nd. They don't get as bad of mileage either, not as good as a diesel, but we get 20 with our '18 on a continuous basis at 7200'.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If they can get some mpg out of a turbo gas, that's not bad.

I'd prefer to see better diesel tech developed.

I'm not into hybrids at all. They cost too much, and are not that good for the environment. Frankly all cars these days cost way too much. It's getting out of hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
While I love my FJ forever, I would like to see it's successor squeeze at least 300hp out of a 4 litre engine. Is this not on everyone's mind too?

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts
While I love my FJ forever, I would like to see it's successor squeeze at least 300hp out of a 4 litre engine. Is this not on everyone's mind too?
Of course it's possible and Toyota could do that without issues, but that's not their design philosophy of over-engineering and under-stressing everything - That's how you get solid reliability.
That's also how you can bolt a TRD supercharger to the otherwise stock engine and not void the warranty.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
42,349 Posts
FJ needs V8 gas power plant (you people that say it needs a diesel make me sick inside, go away & take your whining and crying excuses with you), good attachment points for winches, racks, trailer hitch, and tow hook. Simplify the body panels and inside pieces... Price will be very reasonable and people will flock to it. And I mean all ages of people. >:D

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts
FJ needs V8 gas power plant (you people that say it needs a diesel make me sick inside, go away & take your whining and crying excuses with you), good attachment points for winches, racks, trailer hitch, and tow hook. Simplify the body panels and inside pieces... Price will be very reasonable and people will flock to it. And I mean all ages of people. >:D
Yeah, well, a 5.7 in the FJ would be simply epic... Give it a supercharger or twin turbos (you know - for economy).

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
42,349 Posts
Yeah, well, a 5.7 in the FJ would be simply epic... Give it a supercharger or twin turbos (you know - for economy).
There is one that Low Range Off Road in UT has something to do with and they have a video that I watched. It's got the Magnuson/TRD supercharger and a couple of things like exhaust and then they took it up to a place in ID to get the tuner dialed in. It's putting out around 550/550 to the wheels so it's pretty stout. I've read various things on them just like the FJ in that they can get better mileage if you aren't romping on them all the time.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
So the consensus is 350+ HP out of some imaginary diesel engine that gets an imaginary 30 MPG and tows an imaginary 10,000 lbs for less than $30k imaginary dollars? :lol: Sounds a little un-realistic in an offroad SUV to me. Personally I think turbo diesels are overrated in anything other than a pickup.

You can still get 12 mpg driving like a maniac with 35's and stock gears and do it faster than everyone else does anyway.... add some gears and aux gas tank for $4k.

Currently available as the closest FJ Cruiser replicant is the 4th gen 4runner. Just missing the quirky body but makes up for it with V8 and larger gas tank. Only slightly more plush interior than the FJ and cheaper. What is the FJ cruiser anyway? Not exactly in the unobtanium $$ Land Cruiser line. I don't think there is an FJ cruiser successor that doesn't mimic a vehicle Toyota already has more success making.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
42,349 Posts
So the consensus is 350+ HP out of some imaginary diesel engine that gets an imaginary 30 MPG and tows an imaginary 10,000 lbs for less than $30k imaginary dollars? :lol: Sounds a little un-realistic in an offroad SUV to me. Personally I think turbo diesels are overrated in anything other than a pickup.

You can still get 12 mpg driving like a maniac with 35's and stock gears and do it faster than everyone else does anyway.... add some gears and aux gas tank for $4k.

Currently available as the closest FJ Cruiser replicant is the 4th gen 4runner. Just missing the quirky body but makes up for it with V8 and larger gas tank. Only slightly more plush interior than the FJ and cheaper. What is the FJ cruiser anyway? Not exactly in the unobtanium $$ Land Cruiser line. I don't think there is an FJ cruiser successor that doesn't mimic a vehicle Toyota already has more success making.
I imagine that the imagery in the imaginary scenarios of your imagination and imaginary images is what several imagine.

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts
The 200 with a V8 TD is decent, but it's also enormous and super expensive. The 70 with any engine is a pig to drive. A bulletproof pig, but a pig none the less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Diesels can run all day long, hard, in 110F, days on end, in desert... And they can make that low end torque that lets you pull a trailer, up a hill without a big fuss. I guess it's true that they need to improve their emissions however... Still, can't be out competed for severe conditions.

A V8 is just going to get bad MPG. A 6 cylinder will fit in an FJ and can be turbo'd to get good fuel mileage. That's how all the other trucks are getting better MPG than Toyota.

Minimalism is growing, and FAST. Don't be surprised if a lot of people would eat a vehicle that isn't all bells & whistles.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Go drive a Landcruiser with the Turbo Diesal in it and get back to us....

Have no idea on fuel mileage but ran well
I've driven plenty of diesels and my FJ runs well. A diesel would suck for true crawling. Even high speed in the desert when you need to punch it and get the instant power its gonna suck. Not to mention an increase in reliability issues. No thanks. :wink

The 200 series in other countries comes with a twin turbo V8 that only makes 268 hp with tow rating of 7700 lbs. The U.S. version has a "petrol" V8 that makes 381 hp and tow rating of 8,200 lbs with 4 mpg less. If anyone thinks Toyota will option a diesel motor better than what the 200 series comes with they are wrong. I would way rather have a gas 6 or 8 cylinder that makes the same power as anything diesel.

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts
There is one that Low Range Off Road in UT has something to do with and they have a video that I watched. It's got the Magnuson/TRD supercharger and a couple of things like exhaust and then they took it up to a place in ID to get the tuner dialed in. It's putting out around 550/550 to the wheels so it's pretty stout. I've read various things on them just like the FJ in that they can get better mileage if you aren't romping on them all the time.
A guy I know builds large composite stuff (aircraft parts, high performance boats, the roof to Apple's new HQ, etc) and decided to rebuild a bunch of parts on his Tundra - He chopped a foot off the chassis, rebuilt the tub & tailgate in carbon fibre, CF hood, fenders... Last I heard he hadn't done the doors (yet). He's taken 600KG weight out of it and it looks stock apart from being a little shorter. He had to get custom springs and shock valving because it was too light for even the softest springs & shocks off the shelf. He was going to supercharge it, but decided not too - it climbs dunes better than anything else out there just with the stock engine and has more than enough power.

Of course, an FJ wouldn't see the same weight reduction if it switched to CF hood, fenders & tailgate & maybe door skins, but I reckon you'd lose a good 200 kg without compromising safety / structural integrity.
CF isn't super expensive made in industrial quantities, but of course it's more expensive than stamping steel.
I'd like to see a full frame vehicle still based on the J150 (or its successor) but with some composite panels (or options) and some hybrid tech to augment the petrol engine for more power/torque. That would help CAFE.
As for towing - it can't be all things to all men - buy a V8 Tundra if you want to tow or a F350 diseasle brodozer.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
42,349 Posts
A guy I know builds large composite stuff (aircraft parts, high performance boats, the roof to Apple's new HQ, etc) and decided to rebuild a bunch of parts on his Tundra - He chopped a foot off the chassis, rebuilt the tub & tailgate in carbon fibre, CF hood, fenders... Last I heard he hadn't done the doors (yet). He's taken 600KG weight out of it and it looks stock apart from being a little shorter. He had to get custom springs and shock valving because it was too light for even the softest springs & shocks off the shelf. He was going to supercharge it, but decided not too - it climbs dunes better than anything else out there just with the stock engine and has more than enough power.

Of course, an FJ wouldn't see the same weight reduction if it switched to CF hood, fenders & tailgate & maybe door skins, but I reckon you'd lose a good 200 kg without compromising safety / structural integrity.
CF isn't super expensive made in industrial quantities, but of course it's more expensive than stamping steel.
I'd like to see a full frame vehicle still based on the J150 (or its successor) but with some composite panels (or options) and some hybrid tech to augment the petrol engine for more power/torque. That would help CAFE.
As for towing - it can't be all things to all men - buy a V8 Tundra if you want to tow or a F350 diseasle brodozer.
If you search for SDHQ they have a couple of videos and then info on their website of their specialty projects which include the Double Cab Tundra with the 5ft box and the shortened chassis. They have one with the supercharger and a long travel suspension and one with a more "medium" style suspension. They also have a V8 FJ Cruiser video too.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts
Diesels can run all day long, hard, in 110F, days on end, in desert... And they can make that low end torque that lets you pull a trailer, up a hill without a big fuss. I guess it's true that they need to improve their emissions however... Still, can't be out competed for severe conditions.

A V8 is just going to get bad MPG. A 6 cylinder will fit in an FJ and can be turbo'd to get good fuel mileage. That's how all the other trucks are getting better MPG than Toyota.

Minimalism is growing, and FAST. Don't be surprised if a lot of people would eat a vehicle that isn't all bells & whistles.
I guess that's why all offroad vehicles here in the middle east are petrol and not diesel powered, because what would we know about deserts & extreme conditions?
If you have an automatic, the torque is moot - the torque converter takes care of that for you - you just need decent trans cooling.

Personally, my naturally aspirated v6 (both of them) seem to work just fine in soft sand at 50+c (all day) for years on end. Maybe I'm lucky though. As for the range issue - that's an easy one - bigger tanks - my FJ has dual tanks from factory with 160L capacity, manual trans, and a thicker radiator than the US spec FJs (also a stronger rear axle and a bunch of other stuff - all stock).
I can tow a trailer up hills, down hills, into the wind, across the desert with no issues, and no horrible diesel engine.

A friend in South Africa rolled his v6 Fortuner down a mountain (same 1GR-FE as the FJ) and it was written off. He replaced it with a D4D model - he reckons its the biggest mistake he's ever made. Not as much power, fuel economy about the same, and it doesn't like low grade diesel (which is pretty common in a lot of Africa). On the other hand, in the V6, he'd pre-filter the fuel to catch the big particles of dirt/stones/twigs etc and never have an issue...

Diesel is a myth, and the reality is that the only place that it's an advantage is really remote parts of Australia (e.g. on the Canning Stock Route, but even then, it's doable in an FJ/Prado with the stock twin tanks and no spare fuel.)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I’m not a fan of diseisel, they sound awful, they stink, expensive to fix, heavier and it costs more at the pump. Although I never felt that I lack any power in my FJ, I wouldn’t complain if they gave it a power boost. Id love to see it get better mileage so I could drive it more for less $$$ since I love driving the damn thing so much lol.

My biggest criteria is to make it an FJ and not some alien looking iteration of a 4x4 with FJ tags on it..keep it true to the FJ line in style, capability and reliability. Maybe bring back the removable roof and doors. Give it a mileage and power boost, and the option package that people expect nowadays, make the price better than a Jeep. If it’s not instantly recognized as an FJ, then it’s not an FJ( *cough* FT4X )!
Sit back and watch the dollars pour in.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 157 Posts