Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is like they have people try and make something radical that appeal to everyone, so they can sell a TON more. The reality might be that they simply don't get to sell 6 million a year; so why waste the development money on something no one really cares about???? Is there crack in Japan?

It seems like Toyota has been straight up struggling to follow market demand. My mother was about to get a rav4, but they come standard with a screen size only as big as her phone, and it is really low powered with less gears than the Camry, on top of AWD sucking more power... The reason they haven't upgraded it, is they still sell like tickets to a Harry Potter. 2019 & 2020 are suppose to be overhaul year for almost everything but the rav4. We will be seeing better MPG in the tacoma, which means better MPG for a real FJ if it is ever made. They know they need to start innovating again.

Comparing to Jeep...

I just built a Jeep Sport on their website (2door). I added hard top, AC, upgraded axle with LSD, trail pack, weather mats... and it's a 6spd (people like manuals, better or for worse, auto is +$2k). It has more power than the original FJ, and they haven't even gone turbo yet, but are still making 25mpg highway. $31,500 sticker price. While that is still $513/m payment (actually a really high number for average americans), that is very competitive! They are setting a bar, no doubt. OH WAIT and they come standard with a solid front axle! That's a very expensive upgrade for an FJ...

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts
OH WAIT and they come standard with a solid front axle! That's a very expensive upgrade for an FJ...
Yeah, but SFA isn't all roses is it...
Sure they're OK for rock crawling, but so are portal hubs, and Toyotas don't get the death wobble either.
IFS is actually preferable on every terrain except rocks, but not all SFAs are built equal - the Toyota SFAs on the 70's don't have anywhere near as much flex as on Jeeps or LandRovers.
There's a reason that the vast majority of Toyota 4WDs have IFS - and it's not because it's cheaper (obviously it's not). There's also a reason why the Landcruiser is the weapon of choice for everyone in every sh1thole the world over. If they can't get a LandCruiser, they settle for a HiLux. When was the last time you saw anyone driving a Jeep in a combat zone? When was the last time you saw a wildlife documentary in Africa and they were driving a Jeep?
Toyota knows all about how to make reliable 4WDs, but the simple fact, as much as we hate to admit, is that Jeeps and FJs are toys for first world people.
Landcruisers (70 and 200 series) & Hilux are tools, as is the Defender - despite the perceived lack of reliability, those things rule Africa - why? Because they're reliable in the ways that actually matter.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
My wife has a 2016 JKU.
There is no way in Hell that is will get 25 mpg on the highway unless you're driving 50 mph.
Last time I drove it on the interstate I was getting around 15 mpg at 74 mph.

The wind noise is awful.
My FJ got 19 + at the same speed, rode better and was quieter inside even with the factory roof rack.

I'll give the Jeep this much, it's not slow.
I just bought a new 4Runner and I'd guess that the JKU would outrun it by a WIDE margin.

Neither are race cars, but stuff like this matters when you're merging into highway traffic or passing someone on a two lane road.
The six speed trans in the Jeep is the most awkward shifting trans of any modern vehicle.
They suck.

Wife's is an auto, and it's far better. The new ones will be better yet, but we'll see how they hold up.

I don't ever see a true FJ replacement being built. Toyota is selling everything they make now, and won't change anything until they have to.
You can't even order a Toyota, it's buy off the lot, a dealer trade, or you're out of luck.
I can go into a big 3 dealership and order whatever I want from options that are available.

I've tried doing a build request with Toyota more than once, it never worked out.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
41,633 Posts
Something I've noticed is that Toyota seems to be moving the 4Runner in the direction of the FJ more than anything. They now offer the manually shifted transfer case instead of the electronic one in one off road package. They are adding the better suspensions and other things too. It's funny how people are upset about no FJ replacement and yet the 4Runner is pretty much what people have wanted and wished the FJ was all along. Go back and read the threads on things. Wish it had 4 real doors, wish it had more room, wish the rear window opened, wish the backseat door windows opened, wish this and wish that. It's here and they are adding the transfer case and the crawl along with other things too. It just doesn't have that unique look too it like the FJ. If they build another FJ then what complaints will people have with it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Something I've noticed is that Toyota seems to be moving the 4Runner in the direction of the FJ more than anything. They now offer the manually shifted transfer case instead of the electronic one in one off road package. They are adding the better suspensions and other things too. It's funny how people are upset about no FJ replacement and yet the 4Runner is pretty much what people have wanted and wished the FJ was all along. Go back and read the threads on things. Wish it had 4 real doors, wish it had more room, wish the rear window opened, wish the backseat door windows opened, wish this and wish that. It's here and they are adding the transfer case and the crawl along with other things too. It just doesn't have that unique look too it like the FJ. If they build another FJ then what complaints will people have with it?
I test drove a 4Runner while shopping 4 door Wranglers (and ended up with a FJ). I liked all the parts/features of the 4Runner but the sum/driving experience just didn't do it for me. It's possible the styling was an unconscious factor. I'm not a fan but would overlook for the right vehicle.

When I test drove an FJ I knew it was right. Can't really explain it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You make so many good points there @BIGGUY, and you basically a summarized it dead on..it doesn’t have the unique look( and for me, the unique feel from the driver’s seat ).

I’m one of the guys that doesn’t mind the things that others may have found quirky..I adapted to them because the great points far outnumber the drawbacks..take the good with the bad..it’s about compromises( it seems that every hobby I’ve been involved in is that way as well ), so overall the FJ is a vehicle I’ve fallen in love with. I actually like the half doors, makes it easy to clean the interior and to load/unload things quickly from the rear without having to walk and maneuver around a rear door..I jump out, pivot, open the half door, reach in and go.

If Toyota would consider the designs that were posted by that designer I’d be camping out at the Toyota dealer’s parking lot waiting for it.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
41,633 Posts
You make so many good points there @BIGGUY, and you basically a summarized it dead on..it doesn’t have the unique look( and for me, the unique feel from the driver’s seat ).

I’m one of the guys that doesn’t mind the things that others may have found quirky..I adapted to them because the great points far outnumber the drawbacks..take the good with the bad..it’s about compromises( it seems that every hobby I’ve been involved in is that way as well ), so overall the FJ is a vehicle I’ve fallen in love with. I actually like the half doors, makes it easy to clean the interior and to load/unload things quickly from the rear without having to walk and maneuver around a rear door..I jump out, pivot, open the half door, reach in and go.

If Toyota would consider the designs that were posted by that designer I’d be camping out at the Toyota dealer’s parking lot waiting for it.

When I bought mine I was looking for a new vehicle to replace my 1990 4Runner and 1990 pickup. I didn't really like the Tacoma at the time and the 4Runner was a bit more expensive than I was looking at paying. Then I saw that they were making the FJ and started reading everything I could find about it and then ended up buying mine. I was on the way to see Mom in the hospital down near where my dealer is when he called and told me he had one in if I wanted to drive it as the guy who had it on hold gave it up and they didn't know when they'd get another one in. I ended up going for a short drive and then took it home that afternoon.

I loved the look and the room in the cabin sitting in the drivers seat was the best I'd found. The suicide doors were perfect for me as I could turn in my seat to open them and add or remove things and also open both the front and rear one to block the wind a bit when doing the watering. I thought the power was decent as it took me up to speed on the Interstate and it was just fine crawling slowly on the rocks. I also loved the transfer case having a lever instead of a knob as I just didn't trust the knob. All in all I loved my FJ.

I've just seen all the threads over the years of what people don't like about the FJ and most of them are solved with the 4Runner in a not so different sized package.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Again you nailed it! One other bonus I forgot to mention as a bonus for the half doors..they make roadside pee breaks( when you’re traveling alone )so easy..I stand between both doors half opened for complete privacy, while answering nature’s call..hate to lose that feature!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
41,633 Posts
Again you nailed it! One other bonus I forgot to mention as a bonus for the half doors..they make roadside pee breaks( when you’re traveling alone )so easy..I stand between both doors half opened for complete privacy, while answering nature’s call..hate to lose that feature!

Yep. I wish my Tundra had them as they are easier to use for me in a lot of ways and the watering breaks are the main ones.

Reactions: FatJohnson

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts
The new Toyota CVT is pretty cool with the launch gear.

https://youtu.be/HanImTejIVM

A CVT acting like a CVT should (i.e. not taking gear shifts) would remove the need for regearing.
Let's face it - any new FJ will be a hybrid and it will not likely have a manual transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, but SFA isn't all roses is it...
Sure they're OK for rock crawling, but so are portal hubs, and Toyotas don't get the death wobble either.
IFS is actually preferable on every terrain except rocks, but not all SFAs are built equal - the Toyota SFAs on the 70's don't have anywhere near as much flex as on Jeeps or LandRovers.
There's a reason that the vast majority of Toyota 4WDs have IFS - and it's not because it's cheaper (obviously it's not). There's also a reason why the Landcruiser is the weapon of choice for everyone in every sh1thole the world over. If they can't get a LandCruiser, they settle for a HiLux. When was the last time you saw anyone driving a Jeep in a combat zone? When was the last time you saw a wildlife documentary in Africa and they were driving a Jeep?
Toyota knows all about how to make reliable 4WDs, but the simple fact, as much as we hate to admit, is that Jeeps and FJs are toys for first world people.
Landcruisers (70 and 200 series) & Hilux are tools, as is the Defender - despite the perceived lack of reliability, those things rule Africa - why? Because they're reliable in the ways that actually matter.
Sure I think Landcruiser 70's, HiLux, and Defenders are awesome... and not imported at all to the US. Plus the prices on everything is getting upsurd.

I guess? I'm not into the styling of the 4runner nearly as much. It's also like $10k more than what the FJ's were selling at. The reality is my list of complaints with the FJ are nothing to deter ownership. As much as I might like to see some things, none of it seems necessary.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I figured that was the case. I’m guessing they’ll sell a few of them, but not to many of us forum members. I understand what Toyota is doing with this concept, and I think it will appeal to quite a few people that want to bomb down backroads and do some light exploring/camping. BUT, for the guys that are serious about off-road adventures, this is a joke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the market for a FJ Cruiser; but this POS from Toyota? Look even though I don't have one, I now hate the profile of this machine, the swept back, which looks like it won't have too much room in the rear, and even with the rear seats in the down position, with all of the camping, even Prepper gear most owners have for their own rigs won't even fit this beast. You can take that so-called rack on the top and shove it down their throats. This looks like it won't accept any after-market rack such as "Baja", "Rhino-rack", and others. However, I imagine that the kiddies out there will like or dislike the beast because its not a look that an FJ would have. So I can say from my own point of view that this will be another trendy car that will die off for lack of any enthusiatic buyer....:x

·
トヨタ Master
14,350 Posts
I'm in the market for a FJ Cruiser; but this POS from Toyota? Look even though I don't have one, I now hate the profile of this machine, the swept back, which looks like it won't have too much room in the rear, and even with the rear seats in the down position, with all of the camping, even Prepper gear most owners have for their own rigs won't even fit this beast. You can take that so-called rack on the top and shove it down their throats. This looks like it won't accept any after-market rack such as "Baja", "Rhino-rack", and others. However, I imagine that the kiddies out there will like or dislike the beast because its not a look that an FJ would have. So I can say from my own point of view that this will be another trendy car that will die off for lack of any enthusiatic buyer....:x
Welcome to the forum!

Crappy or plasticy or not, that's the way cars are now. I've seen a fair share of vehicles go through the shop over the years and I would have to say that Toyota and Honda probably have the best longevity with synthetic parts, Subarus probably being 3rd in that ranking(not early 2000's). My '77 FJ40 with plastic dash and other little cheap looking tidbits still are in good shape for the age.

As far as a prepper rig, the last true prepper rig by Toyota was the 1973 Land Cruisers as they still had points ignition and solid state electrics, which may or may not be EMP proof.

This new one will be trendy as you stated, like the Crosstrek, but with the RAV4 name, it will find it's way into many blue collared American driveways and will still have Toyota dependability and haul the kids to the ski slopes and dance recitals with ease and decent efficiency. I doubt we'll see many in the dirt.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts