Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
14,350 Posts
This article has probably already been quoted, but it remains interesting in light of what pictures we have seen since. It states that Toyota intends to build a true off-roader for enthisiasts in addition to a Rav4 type variant for the masses. This article says nearly all the right things that we seem to want them to say about an FJ successor:

Toyota Aims To Build FJ Style 4x4 Wrangler Challenger
I read that back in December. I'm not holding my breath! :lol:

·
Forum Beer Meister
4,565 Posts
I agree, the successor is sitting in my driveway it’s the 5th gen 4-Runner. I just can’t see Toyota getting into another niche market when they would have to completely retool a factory for this purpose.

·
トヨタ Master
14,350 Posts
Somebody mentioned the Jimny:

·
Registered
13 Posts
As much as I want the FJ to come back, you have to be careful what you wish for because the successor might not turn out to be what we want. And the 4runner is too big for my taste if we're supposed to buy that instead.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota FJ
33 Posts
As I said a few replies up, Toyota still produces the FJ, just not in the US. You can still buy brand new 2021 FJs overseas. They are huge in Africa and the Philippines and the UAE and Toyota still builds them for those Markets.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
"How much does it cost to ship it to the US?"

Shipping is not the issue, getting it legally through customs is.

In the US, a vehicle over 25 years old is allowed to be imported. Importing a younger vehicle must be certified to meet emissions and safety regulations, which the FJ stopped meeting after the 14MY.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota FJ
33 Posts
"How much does it cost to ship it to the US?"

Shipping is not the issue, getting it legally through customs is.

In the US, a vehicle over 25 years old is allowed to be imported. Importing a younger vehicle must be certified to meet emissions and safety regulations, which the FJ stopped meeting after the 14MY.
Which is also why the Land Rover Defender disappeared after the 80's and is just now coming back.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser AT
430 Posts
Had a talk with Toyota Costa rica
They claim the FJ is with the American regulation (ISO)
The 2022 models are special order @60,900 USD and will be available from June 2022

My next step is to see here (Mexico) on the import and customs... Hope it can be done
It is on the pricy side to be honest (and it's before local tax and whatever needed to have it here) but a new FJ sounds very appealing to own.

·
トヨタ Master
14,350 Posts
The 2022 models are special order @60,900 USD and will be available from June 2022

My next step is to see here (Mexico) on the import and customs... Hope it can be done
It is on the pricy side to be honest (and it's before local tax and whatever needed to have it here) but a new FJ sounds very appealing to own.
Careful, it might have contact tracing built in.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
"They claim the FJ is with the American regulation (ISO)"

Why would a salesman in Costa Rica know that? Also, note that "ISO" is not an American regulation, it is a European industry standard (no relation to US FMVSS, or to European EU regulations).

Please google, "Import a vehicle into the US" and read up. Lots of folks have gone down this road before. The successful ones purchase a vehicle >25 years old.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts

Ok I live in So Cal so if you manage to pull this off let me know. I would love a new FJ :)

Reactions: FJraja

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser AT
430 Posts
I added
"They claim the FJ is with the American regulation (ISO)"

Why would a salesman in Costa Rica know that? Also, note that "ISO" is not an American regulation, it is a European industry standard (no relation to US FMVSS, or to European EU regulations).

Please google, "Import a vehicle into the US" and read up. Lots of folks have gone down this road before. The successful ones purchase a vehicle >25 years old.
Basically I'm not so up to date or familiar with the codes or regulation... So I asked about "standards, regulations, norms or ISO" threw at him all I thought of...
He just replied that "meet the American standards"
I'm aware that in the US it's difficult to import legally whatever do t meet these standards... However in Mexico things should be different and hopefully easier to manage. (sad but true, well sad in some cases and helps in other)
That's why I thought to give it a try and see if can be done.

Now that I have bit more info I can start checking it from here... Already understood for example that a local can't import a car like that (for some reason) but I'm a forefinger so this could help to make it more possible.

Gonna have to check, wait and see 🤞

·
トヨタ Master
14,350 Posts
I added

Basically I'm not so up to date or familiar with the codes or regulation... So I asked about "standards, regulations, norms or ISO" threw at him all I thought of...
He just replied that "meet the American standards"
I'm aware that in the US it's difficult to import legally whatever do t meet these standards... However in Mexico things should be different and hopefully easier to manage. (sad but true, well sad in some cases and helps in other)
That's why I thought to give it a try and see if can be done.

Now that I have bit more info I can start checking it from here... Already understood for example that a local can't import a car like that (for some reason) but I'm a forefinger so this could help to make it more possible.

Gonna have to check, wait and see 🤞
There's more than one way to grease the wheels...

141 - 157 of 157 Posts