Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Toyota Might Build a True FJ Cruiser Successor After All

38K views 156 replies 48 participants last post by  CabinCruiser 
#1 ·

Toyota has been toying with FJ Cruiser enthusiasts for years now, but their wish might finally come true.

Last year, the Japanese automaker debuted two concepts that had people wondering if a true FJ Cruiser successor was being considered. But the FT-4X Concept turned out to be disappointing for those hoping to see a serious off-roader, while the more recent FT-AC Concept offers a little more hope. Before you think Toyota has given up on the idea of an off-road SUV, however, you’ll be pleased to hear that’s not the case.
Read more about the Toyota Might Build a True FJ Cruiser Successor After All at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#3 ·
Replace the ugly Highlander with this and then bring us a true off road capable vehicle. We're the silent majority, so we'll never get our way though. This might be an Outback killer if they market it right, but something to replace the FJ Cruiser just won't happen, unless you count the 4Runner, which is what most of us are buying instead.

#6 ·
Oooooooo, nice! I'm really impressed with the 4" of ground clearance! I bet it might be able to successfully negotiate a speed bump in a parking lot without tearing off the front bumper. TOYOTA - UPDATED/MODERN VERSION OF THE FJ40 PLEASE!!!!!

#8 ·
Modern FJ40 and FJ45 PLEASE, with removable top and doors.

If Jeep can do 13 models of the Wrangler, you can do four = 2 door and 4 door versions! Six if you add short and long box versions. :thinkerg: :grin

Use the minimalist approach & get back to the basics! Not everyone can afford a $150K ICON/TLC version, but we'd be willing to pay $30K-$50K.

#13 ·
I kinda would like a bigger box.... like a FJ43, 44, 46?.... but the FJ45 is hot toooo !

#11 ·
If they would only bring the 2018 land Cruiser 79
4.5D-4D V8 I will be a happy camper, simple and unbreakable.

Love this truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
If they would only bring the 2018 land Cruiser 79
4.5D-4D V8 I will be a happy camper, simple and unbreakable.
...]
Love this truck.

I LIKE THE PROs and CONs listing....

Pros & Cons
Pro - Can’t kill it with an axe.
Con- It’s a truck, and it drives like one.

PRICE is the painful part of Toyota anymore, well any mfgr., but especially on the Land Cruiser series...

#15 ·
That picture on the front page will appeal to all those people buying Jeep Renegades. Pointless stuff that makes you feel like an off roader and it can barely negotiate an inch of snow. There's no reason that Toyota can't build a legitimate competitor to a Jeep Wrangler but with better quality. I drive a FJ instead of a Jeep because it's actually made decent by a effective manufacturing process and it's significantly more reliable then a Wrangler. People like Jeeps so much that they can't get past it and really enjoy spending money on maintenance.

#20 ·
Bring back the Iron Pig!

Honestly though. I hope the new FJ replacement has a hybrid power plant and some turbo magic. It won't be diseasel though.
I hope it has a bunch of plastic on the sides and the front to cut down on wind resistance and make it more fuel efficient - also some skinny HT tires.

Then I hope the plastic sh1te is easily removable, and proper bumpers and skids can be attached in their place. (they do this for the LC200 - a chin extension on the front and side skirts). No factory rack (but mounting points)
J150 chassis/running gear or next gen for parts compatibility.

It's all about CAFE folks - hybrid & petrol engines with turbos is the way its gonna be. removable plastic and pizza cutters to further improve economy for CAFE.
This is how Jeep does it - time for Toyota to play the game as well. Maybe some 5.7 supercharged monster edition for a laugh too ;-) - or better still - provide a conversion kit for a 5.7v8 or 4.5 V8 TD upgrade. Screw the Jeep hemi conversion - give me a 5.7 with a blower any day...

#23 ·
There’s room for an authentic small off-road SUV. Everyone moved out of that segment because of truck CAFE ratings, but the 4Runner continues to do well in its segment. But we’re getting a lot of requests from folks who want another FJ or some variant. Some of our concepts are along those lines. We’ll see how market testing goes. As all these SUVs get larger, and we see proliferation in the overall SUV segment—there is room on the lower end in terms of price or authenticity for an authentic, off-road, frame-based SUV, which is what the FJ was. This would be for people going outdoors but truly going off-road. This would not be about all-wheel drive for safety; this would be four-wheel drive with ground clearance. The difference is in wheel travel, and you can only do that with frame-based. This could be FJ-sized, but for an enthusiast, it’s gotta be something with a small wheelbase to be more maneuverable when in the rocks. We’ll do some testing with small concepts.

Toyota?s Jim Lentz Talks Off-Road SUV, Apple CarPlay, and More - Motor Trend

#27 ·
Well said, if it wasn’t fo the stupid CAFE and the and the other retarded Idiots at the EPA we would have some awesome truck here in the US.

"steering wheels on the wrong side the car"

Lol. That would be the least of my worries.
I don’t care if the steering wheel is in the middle, as long as we can get it over here to the US.

#31 · (Edited)
I really hope Toyota doesn't build something like that. All of that vinyl or whatever that covering stuff is all over the vehicle would be worthless and expensive. It would just get torn up if you were on trails with brush. It probably wouldn't last very long for those who have to park out in the sun. It looks like crap and if/when it sags it will block the headlights and others. The elephant ear mirrors look stupid and I sure as hell don't want a "Truck Trend" across my windshield. Not good. :wink :wink>:D

#33 · (Edited)
I don't know what the H E double L is going on. I try to type and for some reason my cursor all of a sudden jumps to a different spot and then words are spelled all weird and I don't catch them all when I move it back so I can finish typing. Then I try to edit that post and it posts it over again instead of just letting me edit it. I hate technology sometimes.

#48 ·
They've been in bed together for awhile. Toyota bought another 11% of the stock last year. I think they are close to reaching 40% now. Coming from the service industry, hopefully this will help Subaru get out of some of the reliability problems they've had over the years, and let Toyota get some of their patented AWD technology, which is better than Toyotas. I think it's a good merge.

#49 ·
I can't believe Toyota or Ford is just going to let Jeep have that off road capable SUV market with the Wrangler. Toyota had the FJ and Ford had the Bronco which both would kill in today's market. My last hope is on Ford that they do something retro with the Bronco, but after the new Ranger release my hopes are not high. My last glimer is Ford used an old protype (like 10-15 years) of a retro Bronco seen at auto shows in the new Rampage movie. If they use that one I'm buying.
I am completely happy with my 13 FJ and am planning on keeping it, but we'll see in 2020 with the new Bronco.

#50 ·
The TRD Off Road versions of Tacomas and 4Runners still come with available A-Trac, Crawl Control, and Rear Locking differential, and are just as capable and on the same basic platform as the FJ, so I don't think they've thrown in the towel just yet.

#55 ·
Yea but why wouldn't Toy or Ford build a off road capable SUV with a full removal top like the old FJs and the Broncos? They are missing the market that Fiat eeerrrr Jeep is taking.
I don't think it would take much to challenge that Wrangler market with a nice new retro built FJ or Bronco. Those would be the only SUVs I would buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.