Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TOYOTA OEM In-Dash GPS/Voice Navigation installed

I successfully installed the 2005 Camry OEM Navigation unit today. The steering wheel audio controls were preserved. The Vaistech AIC-100i interface for the iPod also works and I can control the iPod using the steering wheel controls. A backup camera will be installed when the Eclipse BEC106 arrives.

Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Very cool - what did that run you, if I may ask? I kinda like the stock install idea - even if it is from a camry . Looks great - thanks for sharing your idea-

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you get it from the dealer or off Ebay? Nice job.
Thanks.
I bought the NAVi unit from oemvalue.com. The hard to find is the Toyota OEM amplifier but was able to get it from another source with the VSS/Reverse wiring jumper.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good.......is that unit worth the $$
It is for me. The information on the DVD map is priceless when you are traveling to unfamiliar destination.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool - what did that run you, if I may ask? I kinda like the stock install idea - even if it is from a camry . Looks great - thanks for sharing your idea-
Yes, I do like the OEM factory/integration look.
The NAVI unit with the GPS antenna is $1600, Toyota OEM amplifier and the VSS/Reverse harness is $175.

·
Registered
255 Posts
How does the gps antenna look? would to see pics of that.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How does the gps antenna look? would to see pics of that.
Here is the GPS antenna. Mounted inside the compartment above the combination meter.

Perfect location. I run the diagnostics and the GPS antenna is tracking several satellites.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Night time mode of the Navigation map.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Were you able to get the aux input to work? I got the same unit from oemvalue.com and everything works great except the aux input(via the cd/aux button.) Who and where did you the amp and modified wiring from?

The setup looks great. I think the Camry navigation is the only way to go. It looks 100x cleaner!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yeah I was looking at this as well.

I like that the unit fills up the entire space (no fillers on the side) and I'm not sure about having a hard drive in a cold climate (-30 C). I was actually looking at the 2007 Camry unit - do you know if it is significantly different?

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
This setup is definately slick and seamless. how is the ipod hookup to this unit?

If only someone would come out with a replacement center plastics to std double din so fillers or wings won't be necessary and OEM look!

T

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Deleted.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Were you able to get the aux input to work? I got the same unit from oemvalue.com and everything works great except the aux input(via the cd/aux button.) Who and where did you the amp and modified wiring from?

The setup looks great. I think the Camry navigation is the only way to go. It looks 100x cleaner!
I have the older version of the VAISTECH AIC-100i interface. It emulates the port as CD Changer. It responds to the MODE button on the steering wheel audio controls.

I'll get in touch with my contact and get permission if I can post his email here.

Back view of the 2005 Toyota Camry Navigation unit.

A - Power, ground, Amplifier, Ignition, speakers
B - VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), Reverse, Park/Brake
C - CD Changer, RSE inputs or XM Input
D - Voice Command, Microphone/Switch
E - RSE outputs, Steering controls and voice out
F - RSE Video input
G - Backup camera (video and power) perfect for BEC105/106 from Eclipse
H - Unknown ???
I - Radio Antenna
J - GPS Antenna

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This setup is definately slick and seamless. how is the ipod hookup to this unit?

If only someone would come out with a replacement center plastics to std double din so fillers or wings won't be necessary and OEM look!

T
Yes, no messy wiring/crimping except the VSS and Reverse tapping to the ECU wiring harness.

To connect the iPod to the Navigation unit, I use the Vaistech AIC-100i adapter in CD changer mode.

I mounted the adapter and iPod inside the glove compartment.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does the subwoofer in the back still work and how is the headunit in terms of sound from the stock FJammer unit?
The sound quality is much ... better because of the ( required) amplifier.
I don't have the factory subwoofer so I can't definitely say "Yes", but it should work since the factory audio wiring harness are used and the steering wheel audio controls are preserved.

1 - 20 of 388 Posts