Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought our 2008 Brick FJ into Toyota of Greenwich for a 30K service, which they told me consisted of an oil change, spark plug change, and lubing the joints. They also did a cabin filter change. I left the truck with them from Thursday to Wednesday since I was away.

When I returned to pick the truck up late on Wednesday, the AC fan sounded like a kid had stuck a playing card in his bike spokes. I ran back in, told them what was going on and they said to bring it in the next day to get it fixed.

While driving the truck the yesterday morning, the check engine light came on, and then the dash lit up. I called them up, they said it wasn't a problem and they'd fix it when I brought it in for the fan. They had the truck all day, and when I came in to pick it up they said it had thrown an error P0441 because the tech had forgotten to reattach the hose for the PCV valve.

Last night the check engine light came on again, along with the rest of the dash. I'm here waiting for them to fix it now, with the uneasy knowledge that the wife and I have to drive 500 miles to see my parents in about 2 hours time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Toyota of Westport is a sh!thole too for anyone wondering! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I brought our 2008 Brick FJ into Toyota of Greenwich for a 30K service, which they told me consisted of an oil change, spark plug change, and lubing the joints. They also did a cabin filter change. I left the truck with them from Thursday to Wednesday since I was away.

When I returned to pick the truck up late on Wednesday, the AC fan sounded like a kid had stuck a playing card in his bike spokes. I ran back in, told them what was going on and they said to bring it in the next day to get it fixed.

While driving the truck the yesterday morning, the check engine light came on, and then the dash lit up. I called them up, they said it wasn't a problem and they'd fix it when I brought it in for the fan. They had the truck all day, and when I came in to pick it up they said it had thrown an error P0441 because the tech had forgotten to reattach the hose for the PCV valve.

Last night the check engine light came on again, along with the rest of the dash. I'm here waiting for them to fix it now, with the uneasy knowledge that the wife and I have to drive 500 miles to see my parents in about 2 hours time.
What state are you in? RI?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not to up on engine codes and the like but it sounds like the A/C fan noise is associated with the cabin air filter change. (You may already know that) Possibly something that was laying on top of the filter, i.e pine needles, leaf, small stick fell into the squirrel cage when they slid the filter out. It can be a mess in there.

Hope all worked out.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
P0441 is an evap code "incorrect purge flow" hopefully the tech just forgot to hook up a hose. however toyota has a lot of problems with evap canisters. their new system, on the FJ, has a small pump on it and they're even more prone to problems, especially up here in new england. either way it is poor service. the heater fan should have been run to blow out any debris that fell into the blower after the cabin filter change, and any service that includes plugs or other engine service should have been test driven to check for problems.

·
Registered
491 Posts
P0441 is an evap code "incorrect purge flow" hopefully the tech just forgot to hook up a hose. however toyota has a lot of problems with evap canisters. their new system, on the FJ, has a small pump on it and they're even more prone to problems, especially up here in new england. either way it is poor service. the heater fan should have been run to blow out any debris that fell into the blower after the cabin filter change, and any service that includes plugs or other engine service should have been test driven to check for problems.
The fan noise is something that fell into the blower motor while doing the cabin filter change.

The code like mentioned above is a incorrect purge flow code. I ve got big hands, so when I do spark plugs on Fj's or Tacos I unplug, and take the hose of the purge, just to give my self some more room, and to make sure I dont break it during the spark plug change.

Granted, both of those should have been checked before the car ever left the dudes stall. I am still amazed people dont test drive cars before and after repairs anymore. It prevents things like this from happening, that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to take so long getting back to this thread folks:
I'm in Fairfield County, CT.

The noise in the blower was definitely debris, I knew that from the beginning but it was annoying that it was a problem. Any employee driving the truck out of the shop, out to the lot, or bringing it to the service door should have noticed.

The evap code ended being "a plug" that hadn't been reconnected. About an hour after I made the post, the master mechanic took a look at the problem and apparently pointed out a something that was unplugged immediately.

I still have the issue of a loud and sharp clank from the driver side front wheel well, and the rear passenger side. The dealership hasn't returned any calls about this either, but apparently Toyota corporate has been calling here while I've been out of town.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems with service. I take my FJ there and so far have never had any problems. I was just there for my 27,000 mile oil change though so no big deal.
I did not like my service with Toyota of Stamford so changed to the one in Greenwich.

Hope it all works out for you!

PCDF

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to try Toyota of Stamford, but given what you're saying I may not bother.....

Sorry to hear of your problems with service. I take my FJ there and so far have never had any problems. I was just there for my 27,000 mile oil change though so no big deal.
I did not like my service with Toyota of Stamford so changed to the one in Greenwich.

Hope it all works out for you!

PCDF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts