Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the new FJs should come with a rear view camera in addition to the proximity sensors. It's so hard to know what's behind you sometimes. Backing out of parking lots, I'm afraid of little children or whatever that may have wandered behind my FJ.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I think the new FJs should come with a rear view camera in addition to the proximity sensors. It's so hard to know what's behind you sometimes. Backing out of parking lots, I'm afraid of little children or whatever that may have wandered behind my FJ.
tell me about it. I reversed onto my brother in laws civic a couple months ago.cost me 800 bucks to fix hood & bumper done with my hitch Lol the sensors where off...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't trust the sensors at all. Poles, low laying items, or dirty lense will make it not useful. Give us a camera!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
it only helps if people use them....and before we had sensors and rear cameras what did everyone do in vehicles that were tall or with poor rear visibility?

we walked back to our vehicles...looked around and behind us to ensure it was clear...and backed out slowly using our properly adjusted mirrors. If really tenuous, you got someone to spot you back to ensure you were safe.

Guess what...it works today as good as it did 20 years ago. :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it only helps if people use them....and before we had sensors and rear cameras what did everyone do in vehicles that were tall or with poor rear visibility?

we walked back to our vehicles...looked around and behind us to ensure it was clear...and backed out slowly using our properly adjusted mirrors. If really tenuous, you got someone to spot you back to ensure you were safe.

Guess what...it works today as good as it did 20 years ago. :D :D :D :D

I do as you said. There is however no mirror to adjust for things under the rear tire. Between the time you get into the FJ, buckle in, and start up the vehicle, someone can easly have gotten behind you. I'm speaking of parking lots, not outside driving around.

You just can never be too careful. If you can anticipate everything, there will be no need for airbags, anti-lock brakes, or even seatbelts.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Toyota sells a backup camera for the FJ. It's made by Rostra. I bought it from TRDsparks and installed in our FJ. My wife would probably not drive it if it didn't have the camera. It really helps backing up at night with low visibility and low light. I agree it should be a factory option on a vehicle like this.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
That's exactly what they should do is put the toyota navi and monitors in the FJ and also a back up cam. For now I can live with a Pioneer navi system and back up cam.:cheers:

·
Registered
504 Posts
I definitely agree, the first thing I wanted to do once I got the rig was to add a back up cam. More then convenience, I think it's a safety issue especially if you have kids or pets....

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree. Where's our cameras Toyota? I will be installing my own, probably better quality than they could have done but I wouldn't have to if it was an option at purchase!

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I think you guys looking for cameras either bought the wrong vehicle or are looking for the wrong solution.

If you want high tech, electronic gizmos like nav and cameras....look at a FZJ100 or LEXUS RS330, etc. The FJC is expensive and complicated enough, IMHO.

What you should really be asking for is better visibility on the next bodystyle FJC.

Again, JMO.....it IS a crappy design not only for rear visibility but for all around visibility as well....thank style over function for that.....the chopped top look is in so your ability to see was compromised.

JMO,
Sean

***EDIT*** All that said though...I still say if you guys want it as an option....no reason why Toyota shouldn't do it. On the other hand though....you could easily make the argument that not every "option" is worthwhile....for example a diesel. Too much would have to be changed or the platform would become too complicated to make that stuff happen. Within reason, a camera option would be nice for those that feel they need it.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
While i agree with sean's statement i have to say i like the rig just as it is for the most part. I dont have any problems with backing out or anything. I use my mirrors. Then again i used to drive a ford cargo van and that was way worse. Did no one notice that these features were not available when they looked at the FJ? I just dont get it.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Back up cameras are $99 at Walmart....go buy one....

Toyota...I want a camera too....but in the FRONT so I can see the boulders I'm crawlin' over.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Back up cameras are $99 at Walmart....go buy one....

Toyota...I want a camera too....but in the FRONT so I can see the boulders I'm crawlin' over.....

I prefer mine on the bottom so I can see what I just ran over. I've owned several cars with less than optimal visibility over the years and I learned how to drive this type of vehicle. Mostly it just involves having good awareness.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I think this one Toyota might actually do..

Have you seen the new 2009 Tacoma. It has a Slick camera set up in the rear view mirror. When you are in drive it looks like a mirror and when you put it in reverse the back up camera shows through the mirror.

Very cool set up, so You might see it in the near future on the FJ120

:cheers:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think this one Toyota might actually do..

Have you seen the new 2009 Tacoma. It has a Slick camera set up in the rear view mirror. When you are in drive it looks like a mirror and when you put it in reverse the back up camera shows through the mirror.

Very cool set up, so You might see it in the near future on the FJ120

:cheers:
I was just going to mention the tacoma having the backup cam. the cam itself is mounted in the tailgate handle. and the screen is in the mirror. it works really well.
But I don't understand toyotas reasoning with that one. I mean, my last vehicle was a tacoma, and I had virtually NO trouble seeing behind me. now if I didn't have tha avn6600 with backup cam in the fj, I'd be screwed. and the stock backup sensors are mediocre at best. especially if they have a little dirt on em.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I drove a Tacoma over the weekend that had a backup camera built into the rear view mirror. I was looking for more towing but the family was underwhelmed. When the salesman called to see if I had decided I asked if a new FJ had a backup camera available. NOPE! The Venza does, the Tundra does, the Tacoma does, not the FJ. That, IMHO, is a really bad marketing decision.

Of course you can't get a Tacoma with the FJ rubber interior and a Venza with a price point of $37k doesn't have a 3 memory power seat like my Passat. So at least Toyota is consistant in the "goofy features decisions" catagory.

I did send a note to Toyota via the official site. I wonder if I'll get a reply.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I thought that Toyota did add an option for a back-up camera for the FJs (2009s). The one that I saw is built into a spare tire cover. The tire cover looks like the Rav4 tire cover with a opening in the middle for the camera. Was this a planned option that was cancelled?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I drove a Tacoma over the weekend that had a backup camera built into the rear view mirror. I was looking for more towing but the family was underwhelmed. When the salesman called to see if I had decided I asked if a new FJ had a backup camera available. NOPE! The Venza does, the Tundra does, the Tacoma does, not the FJ. That, IMHO, is a really bad marketing decision.

Of course you can't get a Tacoma with the FJ rubber interior and a Venza with a price point of $37k doesn't have a 3 memory power seat like my Passat. So at least Toyota is consistant in the "goofy features decisions" catagory.

I did send a note to Toyota via the official site. I wonder if I'll get a reply.
The '09 FJ Cruiser does have this option. The problem Toyota has, is an overabundance of '08 inventory that they must unload. The dealership by my house, has about 10-2008s and 2-2009s on the lot. Both '09s have the optional backup camera. The spare wheel cover (does not cover the tire) looks cheesy.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts

Your salesman is WRONG. The 2009's can be ordered with an optional factory backup camera, and Toyota makes a backup camera kit for the 2007-8 MY FJ's. I know because I have one on my 2007. I bought it from : Rear Sight Camera at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC and here's what it looks like.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
287 Posts
I thought that Toyota did add an option for a back-up camera for the FJs (2009s). The one that I saw is built into a spare tire cover. The tire cover looks like the Rav4 tire cover with a opening in the middle for the camera. Was this a planned option that was cancelled?
I'm almost sure Toyota offers this on the 2009. Since I've often driven cargo vans I'm used to backing up very slowly and checking visually first if anything is behind the car. I recently drove a mini van that had a backup camera but I still took the same precautions. My fear is that people think the camera will do all the work but you still have to use your brain.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts