Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my call today - it seems like they really want to get this fixed as soon as possible. I'm guessing that this will affect cars in other markets too. Worth keeping an eye out for local recalls.

Toyota recalls FJ Cruisers in UAE over steering problem

The Toyota distributor for the UAE is recalling dozens of Toyota FJ Cruiser cars over fears that the steering could fail due to a manufacturing fault.

Al Futtaim Motors said in statement that the steering shaft could separate in the 2014 MY model because it has been welded badly.

The statement said: “Following communication with Toyota Motor Corporation, we have started a Special Service Campaign on 75 Toyota FJ Cruiser 2014 MY in the UAE.

“The steering system contains an intermediate shaft connecting the steering wheel to the steering rack. In the concerned vehicles, this intermediate shaft could have been inappropriately welded. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, a weld on the shaft could separate, resulting in loss of steering control.”

Al Futtaim said it had begun contacting all customers with affected models to book an appointment to replace the intermediate shaft, which takes about 90 minutes.

For more information contact the Al-Futtaim Motors Customer Care Centre on 800 869 682 from 8am – 7pm, Saturday to Thursday.

·
Desert Moderator
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Toyota recalls 10,412 FJ Cruisers in Mideast

Sigh.. Getting this fixed at the same time as the steering recall...

Toyota recalls 10,412 FJ Cruisers in Mideast - Khaleej Times

Toyota Motor Corporation in the Middle East is recalling 10,412 FJ Cruiser sport-utility vehicles for fuel tubes that may overheat, melt and set off a gas leak.
AdTech Ad

n the UAE, around 1,726 FJ Cruisers of 2012 to 2014 models are being recalled, according to the local distributor – Al Futtaim Motors.

“Toyota is committed to customer safety and resolving problems quickly and effectively. To proactively follow that commitment, Toyota Motor Corporation is conducting a Special Service Campaign for customers of Toyota FJ Cruiser to check the fuel breather tube which connects between the main and the auxiliary fuel tank,” a statement issued by the Middle East & North Africa Representative Office of the Japanese auto giant in Dubai on Monday.

“Toyota is committed to a high level of customer safety, service and satisfaction and is working with its distributors / dealers in the potentially impacted countries to promptly address this issue,” the statement added.

Jon Williams, managing director of Al Futtaim Motors, said: “Following communication with Toyota Motor Corporation, we will start a special service campaign on 1,726 FJ Cruiser 2012 to 2014 models fitted with factory dual fuel tanks.”

The fuel system includes a fuel breather tube, connecting the two tanks, that is routed near the exhaust pipe. When the car is in extreme use at high RPM, such as in off-road driving, this could result in fuel leakage which may lead to a potential fire risk, according to the statement.

“In the interests of delivering the highest standards of Toyota product quality and customer care, we have begun contacting our customers directly to book an appointment to replace the fuel breather tube with a new and modified component,” the statement added.

The latest recall follows a bigger one last week covering 1.9 million Prius cars globally for a software problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you know if this problem affects the 2015 FJ VXR at all? Or is it a problem they already fixed prior to launching the new model?

Thanks for your help.

·
Desert Moderator
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know if this problem affects the 2015 FJ VXR at all? Or is it a problem they already fixed prior to launching the new model?

Thanks for your help.
No idea. They called me, so they must have identified those at risk. Next time you're in for a service, get them to check for any recalls. The fuel breather/fire issue has been around a while, and the steering issue was just a small batch I think, so you're probably good. Worth checking anyway though.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks my friend. I'll def give them a shout when I pick it up and ask away!

No idea. They called me, so they must have identified those at risk. Next time you're in for a service, get them to check for any recalls. The fuel breather/fire issue has been around a while, and the steering issue was just a small batch I think, so you're probably good. Worth checking anyway though.

·
Desert Moderator
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks my friend. I'll def give them a shout when I pick it up and ask away!
Its having surgery & service today in the SZR workshop...
After that no spontaneous combustion issues when stuck (hopefully).
160L of fuel means a lot of fire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
But i'd imagine on the 2015 models they wouldn't have such problem, right? Is this only the 2014 models? Anyone know is they located and fixed the problem for 2015 models by the time they were made?

Thank you!
VXRaf :blueblob:

Its having surgery & service today in the SZR workshop...
After that no spontaneous combustion issues when stuck (hopefully).
160L of fuel means a lot of fire.

·
Desert Moderator
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But i'd imagine on the 2015 models they wouldn't have such problem, right? Is this only the 2014 models? Anyone know is they located and fixed the problem for 2015 models by the time they were made?

Thank you!
VXRaf :blueblob:
It's only been in some '14 FJs due to a single batch of parts as I understand it.
It's a free 2 hour fix anyway - they called me a couple of hours ago saying they've fixed both recalls and done the service. I dropped it off at 8:30 this morning.

The AlFuttaim workshop team are pretty good - always do a good job and they're usually pretty quick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts