Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yet another recall has been announced by Toyota, this time regarding the Tire Pressure Monitoring System found on some of the automaker's trucks and SUVs.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 22,000 examples of 2008-2011 FJ Cruisers, Land Cruisers, Tacomas, Sequoias and Tundras, failed to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard #138 (TPMS). Apparently the affected vehicles had tire pressure monitoring systems that weren't calibrated correctly and did not illuminate a low pressure signal at the required minimum tire pressure.

As with many of these recalls, NHTSA believes the problem could lead to drivers piloting their vehicles with under inflated tires, potential causing blowouts and resulting in accidents.

Toyota has instructed its dealers to re-initialize the TPMS system on the affected vehicles free of charge, though at the time of our post had yet to confirm a start date for the recall. Concerned owners of the affected vehicles can contact Toyota at 1-800 331 4331 or the NHTSA safety Hotline at 1-800 337 4236 for updates. Alternatively if you prefer doing things online, more info can be found by clicking on the link below.

More: Toyota Recalls Trucks over Tire Pressure Monitoring System Issues on AutoGuide.com

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I would imagine I'm affected as well since I have the factory TPMS sensors installed on my aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is what is says when I log into the owners site, ironically it does not even mention the FJ under What is the condition?:

1. Non-Compliance B1B - Certain 2008 through 2011 Model Year FJ Cruiser Vehicles Equipped with Toyota-Recommended Light Truck tires and TRD Accessory Wheel
Code: B1B
Memo
At the present time, Toyota is developing the remedy for this safety recall. As soon as a remedy is available, Toyota will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Please continue to check this site for additional information.
What is the Condition?
In certain '08-'11 MY Land Cruiser, Tacoma, Sequoia and Tundra vehicles on which both TRD Accessory Wheels and Toyota-recommended Light Truck (LT) tires were installed prior to the delivery of the vehicle to the first purchaser. These accessory wheels and tires were installed as a Post Production Option (PPO) by Toyota Motor Sales USA (TMS) or as a Dealer Installed Option (DIO). Vehicles with these accessory wheels and tires do not meet the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) telltale illumination requirements specified in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 138 because the telltale will not start illuminating illuminate at the inflation pressure specified by the standard.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the TRD package on my 2010, it comes with the 16 inch TRD wheels and 265/75/16 BFG/AT tires that are "E" rated. These are heavy duty truck tires that you run at 30 lbs on the FJ. I bet that is the problem and that the low pressure alarm does not go off until the pressure would get real low? Not a problem for me I watch my tire pressure (old guy).

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Not a problem for me I watch my tire pressure (old guy).
:lol: That doesn't make you an old guy. It means you take care of your stuff. I check mine too. I did think it was weird that my TPMS didn't go off when running at 20 PSI on a trail, but I don't really care as long as the annoying light isn't coming on.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am actually glad that I don't have TPS on my 07. I just check my tires every month or two.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I spoke with a large Firestone/Bridgestone dealer a few weeks ago, and they said the TPMS systems mandated by the fed govt are driving them insane and pushing prices way up. He pointed specifically to the lack of any sort of common standard, so they constantly have to update their database to figure out what to use for a specific vehicle. He also said the parts are very expensive, and they now have to keep more stuff in their inventory to deal with the lack of standardization.

Thanks "big brother" for forcing something more expensive on me that I totally do not need. I am smart enough to check my tire pressure once in a while to keep my tires from wearing out prematurely, to prevent getting damaged or blowing out, and to prevent loss of gas mileage.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I spoke with a large Firestone/Bridgestone dealer a few weeks ago, and they said the TPMS systems mandated by the fed govt are driving them insane and pushing prices way up. He pointed specifically to the lack of any sort of common standard, so they constantly have to update their database to figure out what to use for a specific vehicle. He also said the parts are very expensive, and they now have to keep more stuff in their inventory to deal with the lack of standardization.

Thanks "big brother" for forcing something more expensive on me that I totally do not need. I am smart enough to check my tire pressure once in a while to keep my tires from wearing out prematurely, to prevent getting damaged or blowing out, and to prevent loss of gas mileage.

-FJ Florida-
Governments always make it sound like they are worried about our safety. They say that's why they make laws and regulations. BS. Anytime laws are implemented I always say. FOLLOW THE MONEY. :rawr:

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I havn't received a notice yet & I don't know I really care. For some folks it's probably a good thing, becasue they have no feel for proper vehicle performance. I always check my the tires before I get in and after I get out visually to amke sure the side walls all bulge the same. If you were traveling through a bad part of town would you really stop driving if the light came on or would you pray your luck holds out a keep moving until it was safe to stop? I'll bet most people would take the risk unless you could get a cop to show up for a non emergency call? Sad but true

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've always wondered my my TPMS light never came on the few times i've aired down to 18psi...this would explain it. Not really a problem since i check my tire psi every so often but still would be nice if it worked.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My '08 Sandstorm TPM alert comes on and bugs me during the whole time I am aired down to 21-22 psi offroading. That is also how I noticed a nail had made my tire go low one day when I was backing out of my garage. Mine seems to work fine. :clap:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just read this on edmunds, "Toyota dealers will re-initialize the tire-pressure monitoring system. In other documentation filed with the federal government, Toyota said the tire-pressure monitoring system on the affected FJ Cruiser vehicles will be changed because it cannot be reset."

I assume that is just the sensor in the tire that will be changed out... Right?

Toyota Recalls Five 2008-'11 Vehicles for Tire Failure Risk

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I have a 2010 FJ and when I air down to 20 psi for offroading my TPM indicated low pressure. I'm old school and always check my pressures daily when I'm on adventures. I also carry a powertank and tire repair kit.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had my 2011 TRD for wheel balance at 500 miles (problem occurred at 150 but I could not get it in until yesterday). That is when I was notified of the recall. Strange that a new vehicle with an active recall was delivered to me without notification or remedy. Anyhoo, the service manager then explains that it will take 3 weeks for the part (no biggie), and part of the fix is a recommendation to inflate tires to 47 PSI.

Apparently the current driver's side sticker (which now reads 35 PSI) will be changed with the sensor control to read 47 PSI recommended. The dealer filled the tires to 47 yesterday per the recall. Now I am no engineer but this is a significant change in recommended pressure, and I have never heard of tire with a PSI that high. Even the Michelin PAX run-flat - one of the biggest tire flops/rip offs in history, complete with class action suit - only goes to 38 PSI. I have made a decent effort to search for the full recall bulletin on the Toyotas but cannot find the detail. From a distance it looks like the tire pressure was changed for no better reason than to get the sensor working properly (as opposed to having the sensor work properly at the recommended tire pressure).

When it was all said and done, wheels were rebalanced and alignment checked, the FJ still has a slight pull to the right. Slight= constant left wheel pressure required to track straight; 3 seconds hands off the wheel and the right tire is on the line/divider; 4-5 seconds off the wheel and the car would be in the ditch or the left lane (@ 30 MPH). I am not buying the explanation that this is due to "road crown". If that were true, my other vehicles would drive the same and so I would not notice it in the FJ, unless this should be more pronounced in a 4WD or off road tire configuration.

·
Registered
291 Posts
pvtexas: depends on the brand and type tires you have. I have the BFG AT's and they are 8 ply rated and dont have it here to read the specs. i looked up on their website and found the specs for the 10 ply (next one up) and it says the tire's max load is achieved at 80 psi. I think the 8 ply was about the same pressure. The 8 ply tires are no longer available from BFG.

Now i have not read the bulletin, but i have seen GM have a similar issue that they called for inflating the tire to 45 lbs and then dropping the pressure in 5 lb increments till 15 or 20 psi to set up the sensor's threshhold.

Now leaving it at that pressure sounds a bit fishy unless they BFG said they are running the tires to low for their warranty to pay for a bad one. With the entire Ford/Firestone thing: Ford was saying to run them at 28 lbs to make them ride good and smooth. Firestone said their tires needed 35 lbs to be able to cool properly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
pvtexas: depends on the brand and type tires you have. I have the BFG AT's and they are 8 ply rated and dont have it here to read the specs. i looked up on their website and found the specs for the 10 ply (next one up) and it says the tire's max load is achieved at 80 psi. I think the 8 ply was about the same pressure. The 8 ply tires are no longer available from BFG.

Now i have not read the bulletin, but i have seen GM have a similar issue that they called for inflating the tire to 45 lbs and then dropping the pressure in 5 lb increments till 15 or 20 psi to set up the sensor's threshhold.

Now leaving it at that pressure sounds a bit fishy unless they BFG said they are running the tires to low for their warranty to pay for a bad one. With the entire Ford/Firestone thing: Ford was saying to run them at 28 lbs to make them ride good and smooth. Firestone said their tires needed 35 lbs to be able to cool properly.
I have the BFG AT/KO's E rated 10 ply came on my FJC. I run 30 psi's in all 4 tires. That puts all the thread on the ground. More pressure only puts part of the tread on the ground. These tires are a huge over the top tire for a 4300 lb vehicle. I use to run E rated tires on a Dodge dually 1 ton 4x4. Any thing smaller should be running C or D rated tires. I will say one thing these E rated BFG AT/KO's should be good for 100K plus miles on the FJC :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts