Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the Link:

Toyota in $3.4 Billion Settlement Over Corrosion in Some Trucks and SUVs - WSJ

I have a 2010 FJ. This article has me now wondering about my future build plans. When I got my FJ the frame had quite a bit of rust on the frame. The FJ was purchased originally in Missouri by a car rental company. I am the second owner. I attributed the rust to this. Based on the threads of this website (thanks for that!) I wire brushed, treated the rust with an inhibitor and then repainted. I plan on making this a yearly chore in spring.
My questions: Since the frame issue is spread out over a few models large and small. Is the FJ/4runner Frame manufacturing process different? Does anyone know if Toyota made changes after 2009 to the manufacturing process of frames? Is it possible for the frame to be rusting inside out? Thanks again to anyone who can drop a little knowledge on me about these topics.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I have to create an account to read the whole article, but I wouldn't worry about it on the FJC, especially since you already have a plan to stop it.

From what I've seen it's the tacomas and first gen tundras that had the rust issues. ALOT of those had frames replaced.

FJ's were made in Japan, tacomas and tundras in Mexico and US if I'm not mistaken...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Here is the Link:

Toyota in $3.4 Billion Settlement Over Corrosion in Some Trucks and SUVs - WSJ

I have a 2010 FJ. This article has me now wondering about my future build plans. When I got my FJ the frame had quite a bit of rust on the frame. The FJ was purchased originally in Missouri by a car rental company. I am the second owner. I attributed the rust to this. Based on the threads of this website (thanks for that!) I wire brushed, treated the rust with an inhibitor and then repainted. I plan on making this a yearly chore in spring.
My questions: Since the frame issue is spread out over a few models large and small. Is the FJ/4runner Frame manufacturing process different? Does anyone know if Toyota made changes after 2009 to the manufacturing process of frames? Is it possible for the frame to be rusting inside out? Thanks again to anyone who can drop a little knowledge on me about these topics.
The FJ frame is built in Japan while the Sequoia and Tundra are built in Indiana (USA) while the Tacoma is built in California, Mexico, and Texas, though I believe all new Tacomas and Tundras are built in Texas.

I imagine they share the same manufacturing process, but done by different people with materials from different origins.

If you caught the rust early enough (before it turns to rot) and keep up on rust prevention, then the frame will be fine. One extra thing I like to do, is spray wd40 inside the frame rails where the holes are, a few times a year

Fortunately, if frame rust becomes a widespread problem, like it has for the Tacomas, Tundras, Sequoias, it's likely Toyota will fix the problem, since this is the second time they have. It's how I got my FJ in 2008, because Toyota bought my 99 Tacoma from me because of frame rust recall.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The FJ frame is built in Japan while the Sequoia and Tundra are built in Indiana (USA) while the Tacoma is built in California, Mexico, and Texas, though I believe all new Tacomas and Tundras are built in Texas.

I imagine they share the same manufacturing process, but done by different people with materials from different origins.

If you caught the rust early enough (before it turns to rot) and keep up on rust prevention, then the frame will be fine. One extra thing I like to do, is spray wd40 inside the frame rails where the holes are, a few times a year

Fortunately, if frame rust becomes a widespread problem, like it has for the Tacomas, Tundras, Sequoias, it's likely Toyota will fix the problem, since this is the second time they have. It's how I got my FJ in 2008, because Toyota bought my 99 Tacoma from me because of frame rust recall.
2 things: should you try to clean out the interior of the frame before spraying the wd40? And don't FJs and Tacomas share frames? In my mind that would make it just as susceptible to rusting.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
2 things: should you try to clean out the interior of the frame before spraying the wd40? And don't FJs and Tacomas share frames? In my mind that would make it just as susceptible to rusting.
Yes, you should try to clean any dirt out of the frame rails before spraying.

FJs and Tacomas do not share a frame. The FJ frame is full boxed w/ coil spring/link rear suspension, while the Tacoma is only boxed from front to the back of the cab and has a leaf sprung rear suspension. They share the same design front suspension and drivetrain, but the frames are not built the same. Even the 4runner and Lexus GX470 have different frames from the FJ and each other, though they all have the same chassis design (J120 or J150), where the main differences are body mounting and length/wheelbase

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
the key to the recall was the local supplier wasn't following the process at that time so the coating wasn't applied properly, leading to rust far worse than normal

As already pointed out, FJ frames were made in Japan, so there should be no overlap with that issue.

In any case, treating the rust on yours, and keeping the frame rails (and the whole rest of the underside, for that matter) well protected with a good quality undercoating fluid like Fluid Film, or Boeshield, will make it last the very longest. WD40 is deigned to help prevent surface rust, but it is very thin compared with those other two, so it might rinse off too quickly make it all of the way through an entire winter (the other two do need touch up each year).

One of the key areas to pay particular attention to, on any truck frame, is inside of the rail box, in the downward curved portion just behind the front wheels.

N

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
A friend of mine had his '02 Tacoma recalled for rust. Toyota paid him book value plus one half. It was more than he paid for the truck used, and he drove it about 3yrs. Not a bad deal...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
An old Land Rover trick was to use old engine oil to spray liberally inside the frame rails. No need for expensive stuff.
This definitely works too, but it's obviously very messy

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
"An old Land Rover trick was to use old engine oil to spray liberally inside the frame rails. No need for expensive stuff.
This definitely works too, but it's obviously very messy "

Using old engine oil as rust preventative is very bad for the environment and for whoever is doing the spraying because used engine oil not only has carcinogenic compounds in it (both as made and even worse after reaction inside of the engine) it also has heavy metals and other things bad for you in it.

Those things are VERY bad for living organisms. Exposing yourself to them by a spray could make it an exposure not only through your exposed skin, but also via breathing, or mucus membranes. It is not recommended to do this, especially if you have pets or children, or care about yourself getting cancer or heavy metal poisoning.

N

·
Registered
3 Posts
YES. The FJ frame is scrap metal. I own a 2007 FJ that I love(d). Yesterday I failed safety inspection due to a big freaking rust hole in the frame and once the mechanic pointed it out I notice that the entire frame is rusting all over the place. I guess I should be glad to be alive. This is obviously due to crap material/construction/production because I have extremely low mileage and don't live anywhere near salt air. There is no reason for my rusted frame other than it was garbage to begin with. I guess they did not expect anyone to keep an FJ for more than 10 years. And I will never buy another Toyota despite having been a really big fan in the past (original 4Runner lasted 11 years and I sold it - probably still running). FJ made about the same but is now not safe to drive. Other than the frame, it's in great condition.

Anyone know a body shop in the Northern VA area who can do a frame replacement at an affordable price? I can't afford to replace it before my inspection grace period runs out, and I certainly cannot afford to buy a new car.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
You don't need to be near salt air for rust to start.

Hope you find a solution.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yesterday I failed safety inspection due to a big freaking rust hole in the frame and once the mechanic pointed it out I notice that the entire frame is rusting all over the place... Northern VA area
Do they use road salt in your area? I hear that stuff is nasty. I wouldn't know, not sure it even got below freezing this past winter.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
According to VA DOT- "The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) uses liquid magnesium chloride, calcium chloride and sodium chloride for anti-icing and pre-treatment. ... Salt is sometimes mixed with sand before it is applied to the road."

If you don't rinse that crap off it is like a death sentence for metal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Luckily my truck has lived in Mississippi its whole life. Only salt it has ever known is from beach trips. 110k miles not a spot of rust. :grin:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check under your plastic bumper covers folks! Evil may lurk beneath! May not have caught this if I hadn't finally started modding and been putting a real bumper on 'er...🙄

1 - 19 of 19 Posts