Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just really starting to think about doing a straight axle (probably a couple years away, but thinking!). After taking to a few later model land cruiser owners and checking them out, I was thinking on looking for a set of land cruiser 80 series axles with elockers. They seem pretty stout. Anyway, I'm trying to just get an idea what good used one cost. Anyone know of some good toyota salvage yards online?

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Just really starting to think about doing a straight axle (probably a couple years away, but thinking!). After taking to a few later model land cruiser owners and checking them out, I was thinking on looking for a set of land cruiser 80 series axles with elockers. They seem pretty stout. Anyway, I'm trying to just get an idea what good used one cost. Anyone know of some good toyota salvage yards online?
Is there a "Pull Your Parts" salvage yard in you area? If so, give them a call to see if they have some Land Cruisers on the lot. Then you can practice putting it on, by raking it off.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I got the name wrong. It is called Pick-A-Part and there are two in North Carolina
Here is the contact info.

Charlotte
6024 N. Tryon St.

Charlotte, NC 28213
Phone: 704-596-6800

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Winston-Salem
4125 N. Patterson Ave
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-2250
Phone: 336-661-1110
(Under Construction)

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
The FJ80 axles are stout, but there are a few things you should think about. The front axles use a low steer steering arm that mounts to the bottom of the knuckle and doesn't allow a lot of clearance for the tie rod. Slee Offroad and OTT make a high steer conversion, but it ain't cheap and I don't think there are a lot of people running them high steer arms yet. With regards to the rear elocker, there have been a few cases where the splines on the axles shafts will get twisted when locked, thus preventing the locker coupler from sliding back to the unlocked position. The only way I have heard of to disengage the locker one the splines get twisted is to pull the locker motor and cut the axle shaft. Then you need to replace the axle shaft and fix any damage you might do to the diff while cutting.

I run a rear 9.5" land cruiser third member and opted for an ARB air locker. In the front I run the high pinion FJ80 third member with the elocker. Good luck with your SAS project. I would also recommend that you go spend A LOT of time reading on Pirate4x4.com and TTORA.com. Both sites have a lot of information that will help you out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.