Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Toyota Motor Corp. agreed to pay two fines totaling more than $32.4 million for failing to promptly inform regulators of defects in its vehicles, instead allowing millions of potentially dangerous vehicles to remain on the nation's roads.

The record penalties, resulting from months-long investigations by the Transportation Department into the automaker's handling of safety issues, were related to floor mats that could entrap accelerator pedals and for a flaw that can cause total loss of steering control.

They come in addition to a $16.4-million fine levied against Toyota in April for delaying a recall of gas pedals that could become stuck, bringing the Japanese company's total penalties to nearly $50 million this year.

Prior to this year, the largest penalty against a car company was $1 million, paid by General Motors in 2004 for delaying a windshield wiper recall.

The fines, announced by the government late Monday, were the latest blow to a company that was long heralded as the worldwide leader in safety and quality.

Toyota to pay record fines for disclosure delay - Los Angeles Times

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Instead of getting on the case of American car/truck manufacturers and beating them up for the level of design and quality... much easier to beat the competition into submission with bogus fines and bad publicity. And who suffers the most? Consumers - us :simmadown: How pathetic.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Toyotas are built like crap. Cheap clips hold everything together. Reminds me of a snap together model car!
America cars are built better now a days. After owning both I can say I'd much rather buy a gm next. Well next car on the list is a Mercedes for the wife.

Besides Toyota won't fix my inner fenders! I hope they get more fines:rofl:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
There were two different scenarios: 1) those gas pedals that got stuck on floor mats and 2) the sensational "I stomped on the brake and my Prius kept going". The floor mat issue was acknowledged, but not handled well. (Kinda sounds like the FJC ring and pinion, huh?) The other "stuck" gas pedal phenomenon was vindicated, but very few heard about it.

Then along came this under-sensationalized headline - you can bet it didn't make the six o'clock news this past summer.

Toyota says data show drivers stepped on the wrong pedal - AutoWeek Magazine

Toyota says data show drivers stepped on the wrong pedal
By DALE JEWETT on 7/14/2010
Recommend (3)
Print

Toyota Motor Corp. says data from black boxes it has inspected show that many drivers were pressing on the throttle, not the brake pedal, during unintended-acceleration events.

Over the past four month, Toyota has investigated about 2,000 reports of unintended acceleration. It has reviewed the data from recorders when a car was in a crash, spokesman Mike Michaels told Bloomberg News.

Michaels said the causes of unintended acceleration include pedals being trapped by floor mats and sticking pedals--issues that prompted Toyota to recall more than 8 million vehicles globally to fix. There also have been issues with other objects in the car, and the wrong pedal being pushed, Michaels said.

Asked by Bloomberg to describe the number of crashes that were caused by the wrong pedal being pressed, Michaels said it was "virtually all."

Toyota has not found any electronic problems with its cars' "drive-by-wire" throttle system.

A report on Tuesday by the Wall Street Journal said that the National Highway Safety Traffic Administration had found that in many cases of unintended acceleration, drivers were actually pushing on the throttle pedal, not the brake pedal. NHTSA declined to comment on the report.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Instead of getting on the case of American car/truck manufacturers and beating them up for the level of design and quality.
That's not the governments job, it is the consumers.

And in that marketplace,, Toyota is going to lose a lot more money to Hyundai-Kia than in any of these fines. Because Toyota is stupid.

Besides the FJ, their two best looking vehicles, the Fortuner and the Prado, aren't available in USA, their biggest marketplace.

And even with the FJ, they don't offer the colors most want, or to get the colors/roof colors you have to get a "limited" edition.

Toyota was arrogant, lazy, and stupid, and now they're gonna pay.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Toyotas are built like crap. Cheap clips hold everything together. Reminds me of a snap together model car!
America cars are built better now a days. After owning both I can say I'd much rather buy a gm next. Well next car on the list is a Mercedes for the wife.
Thanks for the best laugh I've had in a long time.

I've driven a string of GM cars via rental agencies, and each time I'm amazed at what a piece of garbage they are - rattles, trim falling off, and other miscellaneous nasties and a whopping 3500 miles or so on the clock.

That and I'll never even consider buying a GM in the future because I won't buy from Government Motors.

Meanwhile, Mercedes has had their share of issues as well; certainly they're not known for the build quality they had ten or more years ago.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

I've driven a string of GM cars via rental agencies, and each time I'm amazed at what a piece of garbage they are - rattles, trim falling off, and other miscellaneous nasties and a whopping 3500 miles or so on the clock.

That and I'll never even consider buying a GM in the future because I won't buy from Government Motors.
In the same thought, i recently had to drive a new Jeep Liberty while my FJ had it's window replaced.

The engine was crap, seats were crap, ride was crap, quality of materials crap, all crap.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Folks Toyota brought his on themselves. We have a point that falls close to home.

Call a dealer and tell them you have fender bulges and let me know what response you get.

Political or not this is something that Toyota brought upon them elves and if they did not agree with the the find they could still appeal the fine. That's why we have a court system.

Once again Toyota fuct up and they have to correct it.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Banned
1,667 Posts

Meanwhile, Mercedes has had their share of issues as well; certainly they're not known for the build quality they had ten or more years ago.
Glad I came make you laugh.
I know this is a Toyota forum and most here are anti everything except Toyota. I've owned several America cars and they have held up well.
I've had the most complaints with the Toyota and have given up with warranty issues. I had my last gm till 60k and it never saw a dealer for any problems.
Toyota has a good reputation but I think American cars are great now a days.

Back to topic
How the fuk do people step on the wrong pedal? I think that is bs, if not we have some stupid people on the roads

1 - 20 of 31 Posts