Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
You guys suck. You don't choose from Toyotas list, you let Toyota SURVEY the consumers. Its up to the consumer what he/she wants to buy, not the manufacture. 90% of the people on this forums that have 4x4 FJ-Cs all want front locking diffs. Toyota shouldn't be asking DEALERS what we want, they should ask the consumers just like they did when they built the new TUNDRA. The new Tundra has almost everything the consumer wanted.

Toyota should make a thread in this forum and ask what do we want. Then group all of our opinions and even it out. There should be a hardcore FJ that comes stock with a solid front axle with 35s, dual lockers, Atrac, removable top whether it should be hard top or soft. Stock should be heavier duty full skid plates. Real damn bumpers and options should be winches, shackles, and fog lights. First aid kit should come standard.

Toyota, stop joking with us on the plastic crappy skids you got on the damn gas tank. 2WD 4Runners came with real skid plates to protect the front and gas tank, why cant the hardcore FJ have real skid plates?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
while at toyota training, toyota big wigs were talking about a TRD offroad fjc.
i dont know what that would have and wouldnt have but i like the idea of more hard core off road stuff.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
fj guru said:
I just took a survey from toyota and they want to know if we want one of three diff configurations. Toyota is talking about expanding the fj cruiser line!

what one do you want and why?​

fj guru said:
1- a 4 door version, fj with 4 doors that open from the outside.
So it can be a cheaper, cooler looking 4runner? No thanks.
fj guru said:
2- a SUT, like the hummer h2- suv w/bed on back
i never got the point of an SUT, personally i think they are fugly, and really whats the point? if somebody wants a truck bed that much they should just get a d-cab short bed tacoma. again, they would be competing with themselves.
fj guru said:
3- convertable, like jeep wrangler and old fj40

Um, Hell Yes! I'm biased because i love my 1st gen 4runner so much, but there are few things cooler than open-air wheeling. Like sex, and maybe air to breathe. thats about it. If they do a convertible version the should offer a factory soft top and bikini top. Thats one of the things that drives me nuts about my 4runner, the difficulty of finding a decent soft top for it that doesnt require drilling holes into the body like many of the aftermarket tops do.

Toyota coud pretty easily do both a convertible and a SUT-like configuration in the same model. It would simple be a matter of building a bulkhead into the body of the truck right behind the rear seats and offering a second, or optional, half-length hard top that fits into the hole and some trim bits to clean up the rear where the full top would bolt on. alternately it would be pretty cool to see a fj45 style pickup version, but again they would be competing against themselves so i doubt it would happen.

EDIT: Finished reading the whole thread.:eek:

engine optionsDiesel, diesel, diesel. Did i mention Diesel? hands down. no question. However, pause for effect, if thats not feasible for whatever reason i would rather see a 4 cyl gasser (3RZ maybe?) than a V8. The V6 has pleanty of power, and bad enough mileage that what we need now is a more economical version for those of us who care more about how far we can go than how fast we can get there. V8 torque is great, dont get me wrong, but moderately tuned 3RZs make almost 200 horses and with the proper gearing would be more than sufficient off-road. which brings me to the second point.

Gearing. 4.0:1 low range, at least. 5.0:1 would be even better, and certainly not overkill in a single t-case. alternately, a "granny" gear for the tranny. keep it a 6 speed, but gear it like a 5 speed and add a super low 1st gear, say 6:1 at least. ideal for crawling. most people wouldnt even notice the difference since they would simply start out in second during normal driving.

pretty much everything else i would like to see has already been mentioned... more working windows, better utility oriented options packages, decent factory (33") tires (i dont care about wheels though, i like steelies), etc.

Stuff i would like to see that probably wont happen, but ill mention it anyway just in case.
*Manual locking front hubs; better fuel economy, less wear on parts, especially after a lift.
* Manual everything; Windows, door locks, mirrors, etc. Just my personal preference, i wont be too butt-hurt if this doesnt happen.
* part time 4wd with the manual transmission. full-time 4wd with the automatic. the Mandigos and the lazy people will both be happier with those configs being available.
* a truck-style tailgate with roll down window and swing away tire carrier. or even clamshell or ambulance doors. the current back door sucks. I didnt like it on my wifes Rav4, and i dont like it on the FJ.

and finally, the solid front axle (with front locker). much as i would like to see it, its not going to happen unless you do it yourself. toyota has come right out and said in plain english that they will not build a SFA 4x4 for the american market. Im sure they could sell every FJ they built with one, but realistically they wouldnt make any money off the deal unless they charged a substantial premium for it. would you really want to pay 35-40 grand for an FJ just to get a SFA? it could even be more than that, as this is a limited production vehicle and on top of that there are no factories in the world setup to build SFA 120 platform vehicles. Why would they go the time, effort, and expense of setting up a seperate assembly line to build 50,000 vehicles that sell for 25-30 grand? it doesnt make sense, financially.

Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
i love the fj45.
i use my 4x4 for hunting, thats why i like the SUT style fjc the best. when i am using it it is cold and snowing in the moutains.
and i could put the deer in the small bed and drive home without having to do a full detail on the inside after getting deer blood all over the floor and seats.
toyota fjc is the best! but it would be cool to have a toppless or sut version.
ben

·
Registered
702 Posts
removable hard top for sure!

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Topless I guess. Really I'm with Lawdog on this one, where a moon roof and rear opening windows would suffice. I would add to the rear door and C-D pillar windows opening (ala' a power switch like in my dads old Caravan so you don't have to get back there), a power roll down rear window like on the 4 Runner.

As for the engine...........gimmie the friggin' diesel already!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm with yukonron...literally, in Anchorage
Topless, preferably removable hardtop. At the very least, a moonroof.
Diesel would be great (engine, not moonroof--although that might be cool, too).

·
Registered
22 Posts
duh! a removeable top.

Why dont they survey the Current FJC owners?!!!

hopefully, ben will relay our choice as well.

duh! a removeable top.

if you want a truck drive a tacoma.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Although I have another car that is my convertible so it's not a big draw for me, I am with the majority that a removeable hard top would be a huge winner.

I'd love to have a diesel option, mainly so I could convert it to run on french fry grease :)

As much of a speed freak as I am, I'm not really keen on the V-8 idea - just bring out the freaking supercharger already!

·
Registered
444 Posts
1. FJ with sunroof and windows in the rear that open (all of them including the rear window without moving the spare).

2. Make the FJ user friendly to serious offroading! Make it so running a serious suspension lift with 35" tires doesn't require grinding off factory parts!

3. ATRAC standard on all 4x4's or as an inexpensive factory option.

4. Removable hard top with:
A. factory installed rollcage,
B. drop-down windshield
C. soft top.

5. Diesel motor with adequate power and torque to facilitate offroad prowess.

6. Dual battery option,

7. Front locker,

8. Electrically operated (from instrument panel) disconnectable sway bars,

9. Adjustable suspension,

10. Full, real skid plates!

11. Real bumpers!

12. Lights - fog lights, driving lights (on bumper) and offroad lights above cab,

Last but not least: Serious offroad version of the FJ with solid axle, dual lockers, ATRAC, and most/all of the above list as standard equipment.

I'm waiting to see what the TRD version will be (probably a few cosmetic features including logos/graphics) and I'm hoping for a serious offroad version (the "MOAB?") next year so I can buy one of these an not have to modify the hell out of it.

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
fj guru said:
I just took a survey from toyota and they want to know if we want one of three diff configurations. Toyota is talking about expanding the fj cruiser line!

1- a 4 door version, fj with 4 doors that open from the outside.
2- a SUT, like the hummer h2- suv w/bed on back
3- convertable, like jeep wrangler and old fj40

what one do you want and why.
I am a salesman at a toyota dealership in idaho and I just wanted to see what you guys think. I voted for the SUT. I am a hunter and would like to put a deer in the bed of the fj. then i could leave my trailer at home:)

Hmmmmm......Mrs. 5150 is home and she didn't get, or isn't aware of, such a survey. What Toyota region do you work for?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Reomovable top for sure. But I am happy with the way it is also.

However, could someone run the current FJ thru a photo editor of some sort? so all of us can actually see how these different options would/could eventually look like and then we call could vote again.

Perhaps toyota can have their graphic department do this for us professionally and send out the survey to the OWNERS not the dealer. I am sure they have enough resources. After all they charged me $90 for passenger side armrest and $60 to install.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Toyota really blew it IMHO. I love the FJ, but have not purchased one, for the following reason...

I am waiting for the removable top, with factory soft top and bikini available.
If not, I will just have to buy a restored 40 or (gulp), buy an Icon.

I told Toyota in a survey after I bought my '99 LC, that Toyota could "blow Jeep away if they would bring back the FJ 40". Did they listen? Maybe. The latest incarnation is a step forward, but not the final product the way I prefer it.

Toyota, will I get my wish??

Be well,
Chaz

·
Registered
791 Posts
Jim_D said:
5 more gallons in the gas tank would make me ecstatic.

Jim
1 step further, and optional 2nd gas tank - there is definitely room for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It sounds like alot of us will be trading in our first year fjc's for the next years upgraded versions. And don't forget a better selection of colors too!!!!

41 - 60 of 396 Posts