Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past few days myself and FJDesperado installed a new suspension on my FJ. Due in large part to reading favorable reviews on this forum I decided to install the Bilstein 5100s along with the Toytec coil over front springs and Toytec Super Flex rear springs. The fronts are adjustable to at least 3" of lift, but after following the instructions we ended up with a 4" increase at the front. The rear springs added a 2" lift. After letting the springs settle for a couple of days we dropped the front to slightly lower than the rear. Another 1/4" of lift is needed at the left front to even out the sides.

I'm very happy with the improved ride, firmer, but still soaks up rough pavement as smoothly as stock. The cornering is improved, no longer sloppy, and the large nose-dive when braking is gone. I won't be testing it off-road until this weekend when I join other FJ's for a trail run near Tucson. We also installed a 4 piece set of heavy skid plates from Expeditioneers, made by Man-a-fre. I'll feel much better now when I hear a loud crunch on the trails.

I'll try to give more impressions and photos after the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Looking tough! Welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great! I would give it about five hundred miles to settle, make final adjustments and take her in for alignment. :)

I can see bigger tires coming in the nearest future, right? :)
Thanks. The weekend trail run in Tucson requires a 330 mile round-trip, plus 6-7 hours on the trail. That will be at least 500 miles since the mod.

Having just spent over $1,000 on these tires I won't be in a hurry to replace them, but that might depend on what someone would pay for them slightly used. Specifically, what size would be a good upgrade?

Nice! What size tires are you running?
They are BFG All Terrain T/As in 285/70/17.

Time to update that profile picture! :bigthumb:
Yes, I've thought of that, but since I'll have a chance for some off-road trail pics this weekend I figured I would get a photo in the FJ's natural environment. This will be the first real off-roading in the FJ although I've have two 4x4 Tacomas in the past. Looks like the trail run will have 6-9 FJs and should be a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, 285s are just fine! Don`t change them :bigthumb: I thought you retained stock ones, now that i opened my eyes wider i can see they are perfect! :bigthumb:
Good morning! These tires look big when you stand next to them but they're only 1.12" taller than stock. I like the looks of the taller tires (33/35") but figured the 285's would be good without making the mileage any worse.

Are you 4x4?

If so, how were your CV angles with 4" of lift?
Yep, 4x4. Sorry, I didn't think to look at the angles during the 48 hours it was higher.

Just for general info, these are the measurements taken at bottom of fender at center of wheel:

RF - 38.5"
LF - 38.25" no driver
RR - 39.25"
LR - 38.75" full tank

After the weekend I'll raise the LF up at least .25" to match the RF. First I'll get another measurement with my 185lbs in the driver's seat. I'm guessing that raising the LF might drop the RR slightly, like shimming an uneven table.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what was your total cost for the springs and shocks?
Less than $1,000. The Toytec coil overs were $415, with a forum discount, but can cost less if you have a 2007-2009 FJ. The rear Toytec Super Flex springs were $169. I forget the cost of the front Bilsteins but the rears range from $152 (Shock Warehouse) to $180.

I took it off-road last night for the first test of the suspension and loved it. I was with a group of 12, mostly FJ's, had a great time. It soaked up the rock hits very well while still being comfortable with smaller studder bumps. Very happy with this set-up. I'll be on another trail tomorrow in the daytime and should get some good photos. :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the past few days myself and FJDesperado installed a new suspension on my FJ. Due in large part to reading favorable reviews on this forum I decided to install the Bilstein 5100s along with the Toytec coil over front springs and Toytec Super Flex rear springs. The fronts are adjustable to at least 3" of lift, but after following the instructions we ended up with a 4" increase at the front. The rear springs added a 2" lift. After letting the springs settle for a couple of days we dropped the front to slightly lower than the rear. Another 1/4" of lift is needed at the left front to even out the sides.

I'm very happy with the improved ride, firmer, but still soaks up rough pavement as smoothly as stock. The cornering is improved, no longer sloppy, and the large nose-dive when braking is gone. I won't be testing it off-road until this weekend when I join other FJ's for a trail run near Tucson. We also installed a 4 piece set of heavy skid plates from Expeditioneers, made by Man-a-fre. I'll feel much better now when I hear a loud crunch on the trails.

I'll try to give more impressions and photos after the weekend.
Love the look. BTW, did you have any front tire rubbing with new lift kit / new tires?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,786 Posts
The thread is nine years old and he hasn't been on the forum in four years.

Reactions: BrewsterII
1 - 18 of 18 Posts