Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any body know the turns ratio to inches eg. one complete rotation is equal to 1/4 inch of travel up or down the shaft. looking to install these today and i want to pre set them before i put them in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
found this
3. As an estimation - the coilover collar moves up and down on the shock at a 2 to 1 ratio to the lift height. Trying to clarify my statement - If you move the collar down 1/2" the FJ lowers 1".
but what about extra weight like ARB bumper and 9000lb winch? should i add an extra 1/4 inch to overall hight? i would like some actual numbers on this, not just guesses.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK so its done! their on. here is a before pic ( remember that there was already a 3" oem spacer kit in the front and back )

and here is an after

i think that i adjusted them too high. im running 285/70R17's GY wranglers with 80K on them. i'm calling all FJ owners with a 3" lift to come forth with your measurements. from the ground, directly up in line with the center of the hub, to the level bottom of the stock wheel flair. so not the edge of the wheel well but the bottom of the black flair. need help. i dont want to drive it cause im getting a knocking or popping noise. i thing cause im to high. here are some more pic's

They come pre set at 2.5" and from what i read earlier
3. As an estimation - the coilover collar moves up and down on the shock at a 2 to 1 ratio to the lift height. Trying to clarify my statement - If you move the collar down 1/2" the FJ lowers 1".
i should have added 3/4 of an inch, but as you can see, its alot more. i will be greatfull for any help and advice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did you put UCA's on also? I am at 38 1/2 with 285's from the ground to the bottom of the fender flare measured in front of the hub. I have a 3" Tuff Country but I want your Coilovers. You look taller than 38 1/2". How much taller can you go? Were they easy to adjust?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
After they settle, I'd bet you'll be just about level.

Took mine about 2 weeks, but they settled around half an inch. I then had to go raise them up which sucked.

One bit of good news for you though (if it comes to that) is that lowering is MUCH easier than raising with them installed.

I can't be of assistance on the measurements though, as I don't have the stock flares, so my numbers wouldn't help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm getting these installed on Monday. I have the daystar spacers lift in the back now. Should I just get them installed all the way up since it's easier to adjust down? and when you adjust it does it mess up your alignment?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the Toytec coilover with the stock TT bilstein shocks. Not sure if this the same configuration as yours.

I am 23 1/4" from the middle of the hub. This should be a more accurate read than from the ground given tire differences. I have 1 1/2" of thread showing below the adjusting nut. That gave me a 3" lift in front and the super flexes gave me 2" in the back. They are very easy to adjust on the vehicle. The biggest pain is removing the tires and loosening the sway bar.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Measure in the center of the tire from the ground to the bottom of the flare. I need another 3/4" of lift to have a slight "Bull Dog" look

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
here is what i thought of. measure from the bottom of the top collar to the top of the bottom collar. right now i'm set at 2 and 7/16 from inside to inside ( of the collars ) what do you 3" guys have? 3" with and without bumper and winch, if that makes a diff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Measured from the middle of the "R" in TRD to the bottom edge of the flare. That's the middle of the hub.

When I did the lift 1 1/2months ago I was 38" from the ground to the flare. I'm running the tire lower than I was then and it is sitting in dirt. I also have the Trail Teams tires/wheels.

I have the stock bumper as well. FYI, the 2010 is about 300 lb heavier than previous years.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just took a trip to the local liquire store and stopped on the way back on some freshly plowed road. the measurement i got was close to 39". so i could be a 1/2 to an inch off (too high). this is bad for my drive shafts isn't it! thanks to everybody who chimed in, but i think the true way to go is by measureing the distance between the collars. i hope one of you guys has a toytech lifted FJ in your gerage and can measure that for me.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
thank for the reply Tray, but what is this knocking coming from the drivers side, ball joints? it wasn't there before 6 hours ago.
Do you have stock UCAs?

If so, they could be fully extending and hitting the coilovers.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
here is what i thought of. measure from the bottom of the top collar to the top of the bottom collar. right now i'm set at 2 and 7/16 from inside to inside ( of the collars ) what do you 3" guys have? 3" with and without bumper and winch, if that makes a diff.
With stock front bumper, mine is at 1 15/16" from the top of the bottom collar to the bottom of the top collar.

I'm guessing the bumper/winch wouldn't compress enough to make up for the 1/2" difference on the coilovers (1" difference in lift height).

I've been waiting on my bumper since Thanksgiving, or I'd have a apples vs. apples comparison for ya.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes, but it sounds more like a popping. i think its to high. i noticed it while driving on some of alberta's unplowed residential streets. so there isn't alot of up and down motion going on there. but if your right than droping it should fix that problem. right?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I'm on stock UCA, and have 1 11/32" between the collars. Currently my front sits 1/8"-1/4" higher than my rear. I'm at 23" from the center of my hub to the bottom of my stock flares.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With stock front bumper, mine is at 1 15/16" from the top of the bottom collar to the bottom of the top collar.
well i'm WAY OFF, by like half an inch. that would explaine it. thanks Tray thats what ill dial it down to in the morning. CASE CLOSED! someone should sticky those measurement.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

I'm guessing the bumper/winch wouldn't compress enough to make up for the 1/2" difference on the coilovers (1" difference in lift height).

I've been waiting on my bumper since Thanksgiving, or I'd have a apples vs. apples comparison for ya.
Wow, you're almost 5/8" more than me between collars. I've got an older kit with the silver eibachs, so maybe that's the difference.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts