Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all, I’m mid install on my toytec blistein 5100 on my 07 FJ.. After a struggle to get the new coilover in, I detached the UCA from the steering knuckle to allow more downward room to get the bottom seated and the bolt through. I got the coilover instlled, but now I’m left wondering how to get the UCA and knuckle close enough to put the bolt on and reattach. I thought I’d jack the lower a arm up but the coilover is too loaded and this only raises the entire car. What are my options here? Remove the coilover, reattach the UCA and steering knuckle, and somehow thread the coilover in there? I couldn’t find a way to do this. Alternatively can I compress the springs and then jack up the lower arm? Where’d I go wrong? Appreciate any feedback!

Some additional info, sway bar removed and also had the lower arm detached from the spindle. That also helped get the coilover seated without putting too much pressure on the wiring coming down the knuckle. I read the OME install here in this forum too which didn’t mention needing more room. Hope I didn’t mess this up too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Loosen the long through bolt that attaches the upper A arm to the frame and pivot the upper A arm down to connect with the top of the spindle. When the truck is back down on the ground re-tighten that through bolt. I just did mine today like this....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loosen the long through bolt that attaches the upper A arm to the frame and pivot the upper A arm down to connect with the top of the spindle. When the truck is back down on the ground re-tighten that through bolt. I just did mine today like this....
thanks for the help! Do you think that will allow 3” downward? I can push it down a fair amount but there’s still like a 3” gap to close. I’m out at dinner fueling up for the final push on this installation so appreciate the quick reply!

·
Registered
258 Posts
NorCalFJ07,

As MajorMiner stated, loosen the upper control arm bolt until the UCA is free moving. You'll also need to place a jack under the wheel hub. Jack up the hub while aligning everything up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. Waiting for a buddy to stop by to help. I tried jacking up the wheel hub underneath the LCA but all it does is jack up the entire vehicle. 🏻
NorCalFJ07,

As MajorMiner stated, loosen the upper control arm bolt until the UCA is free moving. You'll also need to place a jack under the wheel hub. Jack up the hub while aligning everything up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Waiting for a buddy to stop by to help. I tried jacking up the wheel hub underneath the LCA but all it does is jack up the entire vehicle. 🏻
I just noticed that you only have 5 posts so if no one has said it yet, welcome! :cheers:

I finished up my install today and took it for a ride. NICE! I have dual batteries up front and will put a RTT on as soon as I win the lottery or work more overtime either way.....I already had a 2" lift so another 1" doesn't seem to be too much different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well got the coilovers in and complete with my buddy’s help and a handful of really long pry bars. Didn’t need to disconnect anything else thankfully. Definitely a two person job.

Only problem now is the rear is about and inch lower than the front. Will be researching adjusting the fronts to get it leveled. Was told when buying the coilovers and the rear shocks from Toytec that this package would achieve the level look with the factory set coilover setting.

Thanks for the assistance!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys another question here, it appears I’m on the lowest perch on the shock, yet I achieved a significant lift (much more than stock height)? Does that seem right? Unfortunately I didn’t measure before height. Does this seem right? In this pic you can see it’s set at the first bottom ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did 6112(highest notch)/5160 rear with stock springs this weekend and same height variance, 1” higher in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
258 Posts
NorCalFJ07,

The 5100's, set on the bottom notch, are advertised by Bilstien as providing stock ride height "When using Stock Springs". Apparently your setup has taller than stock springs. A simple solution to raising the rear 1 inch is to simply add a 1 inch spring spacer. I would however also recommend an adjustable pan-hard bar if you raise the rear otherwise your rear axle will not be centered.

·
Registered
92 Posts
are you planning on putting in new springs in the rear? Or adjusting the coilover?

I have a new set of Sway A Way springs I picked up with the Bilsteins that should raise it 1-2” though I won’t know till I install.

I hadn’t read about making additional adjustments for the rear axle

·
Registered
92 Posts
NorCalFJ07,

The 5100's, set on the bottom notch, are advertised by Bilstien as providing stock ride height "When using Stock Springs". Apparently your setup has taller than stock springs. A simple solution to raising the rear 1 inch is to simply add a 1 inch spring spacer. I would however also recommend an adjustable pan-hard bar if you raise the rear otherwise your rear axle will not be centered.

The Toytec kit he has is a 3” lift set by them, it’s not adjustable

·
Premium Member
377 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, toytec recommended the following springs to bring the back up level or slightly higher than the front which would be fine with me. Any down side to this?

https://www.toyteclifts.com/rcc2-0-p-toytec-superflex-rear-coils-fj-03-4runner-03-gx.html

NorCalFJ07,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup that’s the kit. Sadly I was too anxious to get the kit on and failed to measure before. Thanks

Is this the 5100 kit you used.

https://www.toyteclifts.com/ttafcs-ha-toytec-bilstein-5100-coilovers.html

if it is it has the 600lb springs that provide 2 1/2" of lift. that would be why they are set on the lower notch.

https://www.toyteclifts.com/521600-kit-toytec-3-lift-front-coil-spring-kit.html

also they will settle some after you drive it. did you take any before and after measurements?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sway A Way were the other rear springs recommended by toytec. Any reason you went with these over the toytec 2” lift rear springs?

are you planning on putting in new springs in the rear? Or adjusting the coilover?

I have a new set of Sway A Way springs I picked up with the Bilsteins that should raise it 1-2” though I won’t know till I install.

I hadn’t read about making additional adjustments for the rear axle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts