Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my ToyTec FJ3-FRCC-884 lift installed today at a local shop. One problem - the right rear came out 1.75" taller than the left rear. (Measured from center of hub to lip of fender: RR = 24.75"; LR = 23") This is enough difference in height to make it noticable when viewing the vehicle from the rear.

The right front is only about .75" taller than the left and that doesn't seem to be a problem. But the 1.75" difference in the back doesn't look quite right. I suyppose I can live with it, but I'd rather not.

I discussed this with the shop and we decided I will drive the FJ for about a month and see if it settles in and corrects itself somewhat. (They offered to switch the springs now, but I have to bring the FJ back in a month to have everything re-torqued and I decided to wait until then.) If there is still a noticable difference after a month, the shop said they would switch the rear springs and see if that will help.

Have any of you had this problem? How did you fix it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Could be that one spring may not be set in the saddles fully. That will adjust over time, as the spring will walk itself into the saddle eventually...

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Could be they only switched out one spring by mistake in the rear, did they give you the old springs? If so, compare the height of the old ones. Thats not right!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Ive had a lean to the left since day one and it gets worse with a full tank of fuel. if it were the other way I would say you got lucky because it will eventually settle and srtaigthen out. but if it's that noticable now it will only get worse. that is if it is installed correctly. I'm actually looking for one heavy OME spring for my tank side and leaving the medium on the right.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can see it being a couple of different problems. Either the shop didn't put the spring in the saddle to where it sits against the stop to prevent it from spinning. Easy fix there: lift the rear of the vehicle and let the rear end hang and just simply spin the spring into place.
Also, the compression rate of the two springs may be different but that hopefully isn't the case. Visibly, I'm not sure how to tell the difference unless you remove the two springs from the vehicle.
Bottom line, in needs to be resolved and you shouldn't have to wait a month to see if it settles. Did the shop order the set up for you as well? If so, they should be held responsible!!!:simmadown:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts