Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this PM from ToyTec the other day:

"We have our coils and ome; ours are softer and with the Matching OME shock will add 2" flex per side in the rear. The OME coils need to use a stock length rear shock because the coil is stock length with heavier wire, so no additional flex in the rear...."

I called and they said that OME shocks are stock length and suggested not to use OME rear shocks with the TOYTEC springs.

Other forum Vendors have given me different info.

Could anyone clarify for me, ARE OME SHOCKS STOCK LENGTH?

IF SO, WHAT SHOCKS ARE YOU USING WITH TOYTEC REAR SPRINGS?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
After reading this I went and checked my rear setup. I am running ToyTec springs and OME shocks. The shocks were given to me by another forum member. Guess what? They are the stock length N141s, not the longer ones! So I may have to buy the longer ones to get full use out of this.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
636 Posts
There are two types of shocks. The stock length ones are the N141's and the ones for the toytech springs are the extended N71's by ome. That is what I have on mine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm getting my ToyTec Rear coils & OME front coils installed tomorrow. Toytec kit FJ3-FRCC-885:

- Front OME 885's
- ToyTec top plate spacers for use with OME 885's
- ToyTec RCC2.0 / 37202 "Custom" rear coils

...with this kit, I was told emphatically by ToyTec that there will be no compatibility issues with my stock TT Bilstein shocks (not sure of the model # or length on these).

I will definitely let you know if there are problems with the install tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I'm running the Toytec coils in the rear with TRD Bilstein shocks. The results are fabulous. Adds about 2.5" in rear height and rides like stock; smooth as can be.

BTW, in front I also run Bilstein TRD shocks with OME 884 coils. Equally great results. It added about 3.5 inches in front and still smooth as can be. I also used the thin spacer on the driver's side to counter the driver's side lean effect.

I was told emphatically by ToyTec that there will be no compatibility issues with my stock TT Bilstein shocks
Yes, I will personally vouch for that

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'll update here as promised and then move this over to a new thread so as to not hi-jack this one.

Got the OME/ToyTec springs (see earlier mentioned kit) installed today.

Rear - No problems
Front ... Highly summarized version:

- Installation tech had problems breaking tools on the "overly-stiff" OME's
- Installation tech thinks the OME's are too stiff to be used with the stock TT Bilsteins and that the Bilsteins are now over extended.
- Alignment shop indicated it is mechanically impossible to get my wheels/tires aligned with this lift installed. :mecry:

...like I said this is highly summarized, but basically...as I understand it at this moment...once I get the RA Stealth/Titan + winch (~200lbs) installed, the OME/Bilstein combo will show better compatibility traits and I should be able to go for another alignment after bumper install and get the camber back within spec.

For details of whole ordeal with an image of the alignment sheet and pictures of the results, see post "ToyTec OME 885 Kit with Stock Bilsteins", which will be posted shortly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful.

MIGZ, how do you like that setup?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
i've got the toytec rear coils with donahoe racing shocks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you look in the ome catalog under FJ.. You don't see n71e.. they are listed for the Fj80.. But the valving is the same.. They are a true 2" longer shock.. For maximum flex.. Bilstein was listing the c514 to be 2" longer for the rear.. Which I have been wating for.. I ordered a set and they were the same length as the stock ones.. I called shane @ Bilstein.. He told me allpro does thier testing. and he didnt' know they are the same length as factory.. They should have a longer shock out for the rear of the fj by the end of the summer .. For now I am going to go with toytec's .. They have that adapter on them to make them the 2" longer..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts