Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished up the 1" body lift this weekend.... I said last time I did a body lift I would never do another one and this time I really mean it.

That was quite a bit of work for 1". Plus mine is a 2012 and the kits are only for 09 and older, so there was some hurdles to over come. The good news is the fan shroud did not need to be cut! But every body mount and pipe spacer did below the frame mount. I had to take 1" out of them to get the bolts to go through. Longer bolts would have been best, but worked just the same. I am also pleased that there are no body gaps in the front or rear bumpers. Front was moved up one set of holes and I added a bracket to bridge the inner hole. The rear moved up with no issues as well.

On to the suspension. I bought the toytech ultimate with LR UCA's. There are several setting in the paper work for the upper control arms, and if I recall correct setting "D" is close to factory. What did you use for your intinal setting before the alignment? I plan to run +/- 400 miles or about a week before alignment and don't want to eat 2000 miles of tread since Discount will give tire trade in credit to the new Nitto's.

Also did you measure and crank yours up to the full 3" or leave at the factory 2 1/2" setting? I know you need measure, install, drive to settle, measure and crank up if desired untill you reach the max of 3". I would like the front even to a little higher then the back.....

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I used the "D" with the ball joint pulled all the way to the outer end of the oval for my initial setting and I don't think they had to be move to get it back to factory specs.

As for the coil-over adjustment, a friend of mine "loosened" them prior to installing them and I don't know the exact setting he went to, but the front was still lower. SO, recently, I adjusted them and I now have 1.75" of threads showing and I am sitting level and I have an aftermarket bumper with a winch.

I forget what toytec says, but I don't think it is a 1":1" ratio of threads showing to actual lift.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doxdozer - I will come drink beer and give moral support :)

captinmo - Thanks. I figured that "D" would work. The plan is to make small adjustments until get there on lift.... I was very suprised at the size of the control arms. Looking at pics on line is one thing, when you open the box they are huge. I am thinking the same for the lift. I have searched through 100's of pages of lift pics, but when your done and standing beside it, that is when you get the full effect...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Congrats on the body lift being installed! Fun huh?

I cranked my Toytecs to the full 3" which left my front ~1/4" higher than the back in the end. When I added my ARB on the front, it dropped about 1/8" so I'm pretty close to level now.

On my LR UCAs, I pulled the ball joint all the way to the outside and then back towards the engine 1/8". This is the setting I found that most recommended. The alignment guy was impressed since both ended up at 0.00 degrees of camber. It's also very easy to adjust once on the truck. If the tires look like they're leaning in or out compared to the back tires, just jack up the truck, loosen the 1.25" nut on top and push or pull the wheel in to where it looks right, then re-torque.

Also, don't forget to update your signature for the new body lift! You don't want all that work going unnoticed...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a 3" body lift on my old 2001 Ford F150 with a Fabtech 7.5" suspension lift few years ago. Said I would never do another, but in the name of modification fell prey to the FJ body lift :)

Just a note to the fellow FJ owners out there. The tail pipe on your truck is sharp as hell! Was laying on the ground under to truck and went to get up by swinging my leg up when it went across the end of the tail pipe. 4" gash over 1/4" deep in my knee.... needed stitches, but did not want to stop working on the truck due to time limits.

If I am replacing the UCA's, do I skip un-bolting the LCA's as per the instruction and do everything from the top?

·
Premium Member
16,625 Posts
Congrats on the 1" body lift! When I did mine, it took half a day and I had to cut my fan shroud. Enjoy the body lift and the new suspension!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts