Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With other cars I've owned swapping a full set of winter and summer wheels has never been any big deal as long as each set of wheels has TPMS sensors.

But apparently with FJs to make TPMS happy I would have to have my dealer reprogram the system each time I do a wheel changeover?

How do others here who have dedicated snows handle this? Do you just ignore the TPMS light all winter? Do you have your tires mounted and remounted on the same set of wheels rather than having dedicated wheels?

I can't believe Toyota designed their TPMS system this way and didn't just have a way for the system to train itself to the new sensors like most other systems. :(

Thanks in advance…

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think (but may be wrong) the CPU can only handle 5 TPMS codes at one time. Therefore, if you have multiple sets of wheels and TPMS sensors you will have to reprogram the computer each time you swap out the wheels.

I'm not 100% sure this is correct, so others might chime in. For me the biggest P.I.T.A. with the sensors is the fact Toyota designed 2 different sets of TPMS sensors (one for steel wheels and another for alloy wheels). You have to be careful when buying new rims to make sure the sensors you have will work with them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts