Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I was wondering if TPMS from a 2011 FJ will work on my 08 TT? Also, I recently put on my TRD wheels and mounted winter tires on them, my warning light is flashing in the dash. Do I need to set it? I havent had the TRDs on for a long time, and the tireshop left the original TPMS on the wheels (unless they are lying and broke them when they were mounting the new tires)

Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Check the pressure in your spare tire. If it's low it will set off the TPMS.

You should be able to have the TPMS from one Toyota registered with another Toyota. The dealership needs the ID# from the TPMS sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
IIRC, the flashing light means there is a fault in the system. When it is pressure related it is a constant on, not flashing.

Looks like you have a problem with one (or more) of those sensors.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, heres the low down. I went from my TRDs to 18s with 33s mounted on them. (without the TPMS) So The light will sometimes flash, and then stay on.

With my TRDs, i went down to a smaller tire. I believe 250/X/R16, is it because the tires are alot smaller its throwing out a fault? (the new winter tires arent that small though.. just compared to the 33s)

If they are compatible, then I was thinking about buying a used set, and installing them on my 18 inch rims/tire setup.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Tire size should be irrelevant - the sensors are based on pressure readings. When pressure is below a certain threshold the light comes on and stays on, until you add air pressure to the tire(s) which are low.

I've never seen a flashing low tire pressure light. You can disable it if you want to, but some people like to have the light I guess.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Are you running two different sets of wheels with sensors?

If so, I believe the computer can only record 5 TPMS sensors at a time, so if you are switching back and forth between wheels you may have to have the computer reloaded each time you swap out wheels.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you running two different sets of wheels with sensors?

If so, I believe the computer can only record 5 TPMS sensors at a time, so if you are switching back and forth between wheels you may have to have the computer reloaded each time you swap out wheels.
No I went from TRDs (with sensors) to aftermarket (without sensors) and now I have the TRDs on again with the sensors.

The dash will be fine, then it will flash (dont know how many times) then the light stays on.

Could it be the psi is too low? these tires are smaller. Stock was 265s, these are 250s

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I messed up one of my TPMS stems on a rock. Went to Toyota and found replacement cost at $115 each. So I had all 5 removed and went with regular valve stems. Now the light flashes for a while then goes steady. As some else posted that is saying system fault and low pressure. Eventually after a few minutes it goes to solid on. I did not like to look at the light so I just put a piece of black tape over it. Don't want to cut the wire as it could cause some other computer fault.

A tire shop told me it is a federal offense to tamper with the TPMS system and refused to replace mine. Another shop said no big deal and did the job.

Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts