Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tpms light is staying on even though all 5 of my tires are the correct air pressure. The light is not flashing its just staying on as if it sees a low pressure in one of the tires. Has anyone figures out a hack to disable the tpms light besides electrical tape and removing the bulb from the cluster?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I think the black electrical tape over the display is the only hack available.

Seriously, I would try two things:
1) Disconnect the battery for around 3 minutes, to reset the ECM, or
2) Take it into the dealer and find out what's broken (it could just be one TPMS module in a tire that's bad)

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I just starting having this issue on my 2011. First cold day, light came on. In the past, this happened to my 4Runner and it was always the spare. I checked the FJ spare and it was a little off.

I verified the air pressure in all 5 tires probably six times over the last week, they are all at 36 PSI and the light still won't go out. I tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes as suggested above, no luck.

Any other tricks before I take in into the dealership? It is under warranty, just a pain to take in...

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
FJNewb,
I think they both will work. I don't even have my rig yet (2013 TT SE). My salesman at the dealership says it has an ETA at the dealership of 1/7/2012...THAT'S TOMORROW!!!
I ordered a Shrockworks front bumper from Justin early December. He speaks very highly of you. Congrats on becoming a moderator.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
FJNewb,
I think they both will work. I don't even have my rig yet (2013 TT SE). My salesman at the dealership says it has an ETA at the dealership of 1/7/2012...THAT'S TOMORROW!!!
I ordered a Shrockworks front bumper from Justin early December. He speaks very highly of you. Congrats on becoming a moderator.
Just saw a 2013 TT today when running errands. Looks great in person :bigthumb:. Post up pictures when it does come in!

Justin and the folks at Shrockworks make a great product with clean lines. The attention to detail is quite impressive when you look at it up close and in person. A very high quality product that I'm sure you'll be pleased with.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I don't really know how the TPMS works but I think my buddy had his calibrated at a higher value and I am not sure why he did. He runs quite a bit more air pressure in his Nitto Trail Grapplers than I run in mine he has to, to clear the light. I am not really sure what value mine will light/clear up the indicator but I do know its less than 32 PSI. I think he is running over 40 to clear his light.

I guess thats my way of saying I would take them in and have them checked /calibrated.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Check the door jamb sticker for the correct pressure.

There was a recall or TSB that reset the pressure settings for the TPMS system.
It should have only included certain wheels/tire combinations.

Your 36 PSI may not be enough.

I was able to avoid it by not running the stock tires, so the dealership ignored the recall/TSB.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I had to bring my truck into the tire store so they can re-register the TPMS's with the ECU with a special TPMS hand-held computer that they connect to the ECU and then put 35psi in the spare. My TPMS light when off after that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts