Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother just bought an 07 FJ Cruiser - yeah!

Here's the weird thing. It has rear diff lock and A-trac.
Everything works as expected.
4hi and 4lo turn on all the trac lights as expected.
2 high turns all the lights off but it doesn't work.
He can do toasty donuts ( not that he wants to ) in 2 hi.
Remember the 07 ( at least to my knowledge ) didn't come with a switch to turn it off
and if you did turn it off the indicator lights come on.
even the grey wire mod ( yes I did some googling before my post and searched this forum ) turns the lights on.
Normally a bad abs sensor would even turn the lights on.

Its used so who knows but it looks completely unmolested. Daily driven its whole life w/ no off road use.
No fender bulges no scratches in the stock skids nothing looks like brand new.

Im at a loss and looking for someone with more knowledge than me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

--Ryan

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Your wording is a bit confusing here. A-trac and there's VSC/skid/(trac)tion control.

2Hi still keeps the VSC/traction control on. If you did the rear locker hack, that's the only way you could have VSC/traction off. Rear diff and A-track do not engage in 2Hi, it seems from what you're saying and that's exactly what it's supposed to do. Your toasty donuts are probably half crusted. Rear locker (and A-trac as far I remember) only in engage in 4Lo.

Edit: Seems like what @Iconic_ pointed out that you're VSC/traction control isn't setting off? I never paid attention during slow driving/stand still/donuts but pick up the speed a little in the dirt and see if VSC light kicks on. I've ever only noticed it when past 15mph on the trail and hitting soft patches in the turns.

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you are basically saying in 2WD no traction control lights come on but he can spin the tires? Traction control is not functioning and for some reason the dash does not indicate it.
Exactly! Sorry for poor explanation.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Exactly! Sorry for poor explanation.
Haha no worries. Yeah I think you are right to suspect something is wrong. Under normal operating conditions (as I'm sure you've experienced) in 2WD you should be able to spin the tires slightly (especially on gravel or something) and then the light comes on the dash and the engine limits itself and slows itself down to stop the spinning. Also the beeper comes on the dash when you get too far sideways and redirects power to correct a drift.

I honestly have no idea why it doesn't work right on his. It's night and day when you turn it all off on a dirt road though!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the reservoir harness doesn't work, then I'd suggest checking the fuses and relays under the hood. Sometimes people will pull those to cut the ABS and Trac, although I believe they light up on the dash to indicate something is wrong when that's done.

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
The weirdest part is that he says all the lights go off in 2wd....

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,493 Posts
It has to be hacked, I can burn em all day long but only because I accidentally stretched one of my rear sensor wires while changing the suspension. I liked it so much I never repaired it! Only thing is this keeps the traction light lit at all times and the ABS works just fine, makes me think his has been hacked.

Test the ABS and if it works fine I wouldn't worry about it, just remember you've got all your power available all the time now so watch the slick surfaces if he's not used to driving without traction control.

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You mentioned 2HI, is the truck a manual?
Nope Automatic.

He's coming over tomorrow after work. Ill try to get pictures and videos.

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
It has to be hacked, I can burn em all day long but only because I accidentally stretched one of my rear sensor wires while changing the suspension. I liked it so much I never repaired it! Only thing is this keeps the traction light lit at all times and the ABS works just fine, makes me think his has been hacked.

Test the ABS and if it works fine I wouldn't worry about it, just remember you've got all your power available all the time now so watch the slick surfaces if he's not used to driving without traction control.
FYI... I don't think a-trac will work without all those wires working.

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
Works perfectly on my ride, trust me it's tested regularly :wink, the wire that was stretched was a rear sensor wire so that probably has something to do with it.
:cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts