Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have in my 2008 FJ the blue connector for the Traction conntrol switch. It was plugged into the blank cover.
I bought a traction control switch, plugged it in but it doesn't work. It only lights up along with the other switches.
Is there a "hack" to activate the switch ?

thanks !

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
You pushed and held it for ~5 seconds while the vehicle was stationary and at least "ON" (doesn't have to be started), and your dashboard did not light up with an orange indicator icon that matches the picture on the switch?

In my 2013 FJ, pushing the traction-control button causes the words "TRAC OFF" to illuminate on the dashboard, and pushing it again removes them. But if I push and hold it, after a few seconds the "car skidding" icon from the button joins the "TRAC OFF" indicator on the dashboard.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I'm pretty sure I have the right plug, it's on the drivers side of the panel.
On the passangers side there is a plug with two wires, it doesn't fit the switch, it's probably for the subwoofer.

Why isn't it working :) ?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You pushed and held it for ~5 seconds while the vehicle was stationary and at least "ON" (doesn't have to be started), and your dashboard did not light up with an orange indicator icon that matches the picture on the switch?

In my 2013 FJ, pushing the traction-control button causes the words "TRAC OFF" to illuminate on the dashboard, and pushing it again removes them. But if I push and hold it, after a few seconds the "car skidding" icon from the button joins the "TRAC OFF" indicator on the dashboard.
I tried, it doesn't do anything :(

·
Registered
416 Posts
OK, just wanted to make sure. I frequently forget about the "push-and-hold" mechanic for some of the FJ's switches (or the "can't do it while driving" mechanic) and end up thinking that last off-road jostle broke something.

My 2013 FJ did not come with fog lights, and my TRAC/VSC switch is in the upper-left corner, like in your photos. The harness in the left picture is absolutely the correct one for TRAC/VSC. I was just messing with my own and (in case you're interested), the wires are used as follows:

• White/Black: Ground
  • White/Green: Dimmable Ground (for illumination)
  • Green: Power
  • Red/Black: Switched Output
Sorry I can't be of any more help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, just wanted to make sure. I frequently forget about the "push-and-hold" mechanic for some of the FJ's switches (or the "can't do it while driving" mechanic) and end up thinking that last off-road jostle broke something.

My 2013 FJ did not come with fog lights, and my TRAC/VSC switch is in the upper-left corner, like in your photos. The harness in the left picture is absolutely the correct one for TRAC/VSC. I was just messing with my own and (in case you're interested), the wires are used as follows:

• White/Black: Ground
  • White/Green: Dimmable Ground (for illumination)
  • Green: Power
  • Red/Black: Switched Output
Sorry I can't be of any more help!
Thanks !

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently bought a 2008 4 wheel drive and i am running into the same issue. I bought the subwoofer and to the button goes on the top right on the top left and subwoofer works as its suppose to. I installed the traction control button on the top left and it doesn't do anything. I've been doing a good amount of research but haven't got no luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't know if these will help.

Read post 11. https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/641938-traction-control-switch.html Describes the switch layout for changes made to each model/year. Top left on your console should be roof lights, no VSC disable wiring going to the console.

These will give you instructions on how to do it but not through the console. If you read both threads you'll see that if you disable VSC you also disable ABS and possibly TRAC. Parking brake and ABS lights will stay lit.
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/8018-install-vsc-cancel-switch.html, https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/8018-install-vsc-cancel-switch.html

Happy modding!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Don't know if these will help.

Read post 11. https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/641938-traction-control-switch.html Describes the switch layout for changes made to each model/year. Top left on your console should be roof lights, no VSC disable wiring going to the console.

These will give you instructions on how to do it but not through the console. If you read both threads you'll see that if you disable VSC you also disable ABS and possibly TRAC. Parking brake and ABS lights will stay lit.
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/8018-install-vsc-cancel-switch.html, https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/8018-install-vsc-cancel-switch.html

Happy modding!
Reading this thread I was thinking the same thing. Mine's an '07 and I am not sure when the VSC switch was added. And wasn't it standard? No need to add it on after, like the early A-TRAC was an option.

·
Registered
145 Posts
And wasn't it standard? No need to add it on after, like the early A-TRAC was an option.
If the first link with the console descriptions is correct, it's been standard that all models come equipped with VSC (at least the automatics) but it wasn't until 2014 that you had the option to turn it off with a button on the console.

In one of the last 2 threads I linked, the discussion goes fairly in depth as to why you would or would not want VSC on your vehicle. I tend to agree with the side that thinks a lot of the safety features designed into current vehicles is an attempt to make them stupid-proof, thus taking away the ability to learn how to actually control your vehicle. With things like VSC and ABS, gone are the days of doing donuts in a parking lot after a fresh snow in order to hone your steering recovery skills.

Then again people can't be expected to learn to actually drive anymore, they might miss something on social media.:|

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for those 2 threads Phunksoulbroth. I did run into that post with the console wiring layout just haven't seen many fj's with roof lights so didn't think it was accurate (I am a new fj owner and I'm slowly picking up on things). I did open the other thread it's 11 pages long. I didn't read every page but I did see there is a few ways people got it done. Just not sure what way to go about it. I could find time to read all 11 pages and see what can maybe work for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m pretty certain that the pigtail behind the blank button on driver’s top is the AUTO LSD. It’s only available on 2WD , so plugging into the pigtail will give you nothing on a 4WD model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts