Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: the newly posted info from the upcoming press release, it says All FJ Cruiser models are equipped with Toyota's Star Safety System which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist.

My question is....if TRAC is standard, why does it say it comes on the upgrade pack as well?

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump for me!! :) can we discuss this a bit? Is there a difference between the Star Safety traction control that comes standard and the upgrade pack traction control, or are they being redundant?

Ie, does the star one just do the rear wheels and the upgrade package give you four wheel traction control?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
i am VERY curious about this as well. if i have to guess id say boston guy is on the right track, rear vs front. i think that's lame if it is the case. im not buying the upgrade package. im going to shoot for a manual base with convenience to get the lock dif without having to pay 4500 extra in both conven and upgrade. the traction is one thing i am still curious about.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you look at the RAV4's Star Safety demo (it's a pretty good flash demo of each feature), they show the TRAC working by the 4Runner BACKING UP onto a snowpile, and having the traction control kick in. It could just be coincidental, but it might also indicate that the TRAC works for the rear wheels only....check it out...

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/rav4/key_features/star_safety_system.html

·
Registered
124 Posts
caliFJ said:
im not buying the upgrade package. im going to shoot for a manual base with convenience to get the lock dif without having to pay 4500 extra in both conven and upgrade. the traction is one thing i am still curious about.

My thought exactly!

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trainwreck said:
My thought exactly!
mine too except I'm a sucker for info (compass, temp, etc)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's something that kinda worries me about the Traction Control on the FJ. Edmunds reported that you cannot turn off the VSC resulting in "severe understeer" in their slalom. Anyone have any experience/knowledge on whether this system is independent enough to be modified and turned off?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
mine too except I'm a sucker for info (compass, temp, etc)
dude, save your money and just add stuff later. no doubt if this thing is the hit all of us think it will be, there will be a ton of stuff out there for you to add on and play with. for now just go to rei and buy one of those $5 plastic compasses, baby thermometer and tape them to the dash

·
Registered
552 Posts
To each his own, I'm all about the clean look of an integrated thingie it brings back memories of my old 1983 Toyota Tercel it's almost a match and just as low tech.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mappelman said:
To each his own, I'm all about the clean look of an integrated thingie it brings back memories of my old 1983 Toyota Tercel it's almost a match and just as low tech.

I like the integrated look too. But I have to say.....there's nothing "clean" about the look of this one or the FJ one...they're clunky at best! :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Here's somethin to think about. This is from an official dealer letter. The diff lock and traction control are included in the UPGRADE PACKAGE...NOT the Conv. Package. Sorry to dissapoint the fellas that want the Bare Bones Package, you're gonna have to spend that 4,500 to get the 4 wheelin goodies. I agree with you though, to hell with all those bells and whistles, like keyless entry and rear backup sonar. I will probably have to get the UP, and maybe the brush guard and rock rails.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Tone said:
Here's somethin to think about. This is from an official dealer letter. The diff lock and traction control are included in the UPGRADE PACKAGE...NOT the Conv. Package. Sorry to dissapoint the fellas that want the Bare Bones Package, you're gonna have to spend that 4,500 to get the 4 wheelin goodies. I agree with you though, to hell with all those bells and whistles, like keyless entry and rear backup sonar. I will probably have to get the UP, and maybe the brush guard and rock rails.
The locking rear is both part of a package and an individual option. Those wanting it will not have to select a package. The same can not be said for the traction control.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hmm...how awesome is the traction control then? I am really lookin for a bone stock model, and it's gonna be the full time 4wd 6spd manual...so doe sthe traction control make a huge difference both on and off road? Keep in mind that I LOVE to shift, and I know how to handle a vehicle in any condition. Thanks for the info granger. You da MAN!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sweet! Now I know I really don't need the VSC, all I need is the rear locker for those tricky situations in the woods. Trying to save a few bucks, but you already knew that. Thanks Granger! =)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Tone said:
Sweet! Now I know I really don't need the VSC, all I need is the rear locker for those tricky situations in the woods. Trying to save a few bucks, but you already knew that. Thanks Granger! =)
I thought that VSC was standard...the ATRAC system is the option...and no I can't give you details on the difference. all I know is VSC is a safety feature for slick surfaces and ATRAC is apparently a system for off road that they used on the Rubicon trail.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Well whatever it is, I don't need it. I don't plan on conquering the Rubicon any time soon. All I want is the rock rails, the roof rack with the lights on it, some aftermarket limb risers, a snorkel, 31" BF's, and the rear diff locker. I just wish I could order all that fun stuff straight from Toyota.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Toyotaman said:
I thought that VSC was standard...the ATRAC system is the option...and no I can't give you details on the difference. all I know is VSC is a safety feature for slick surfaces and ATRAC is apparently a system for off road that they used on the Rubicon trail.
ATRAC = traction control

VSC = Vehicle Stability Control

I agree, it is wicked confusing. VSC is part of the Star Saftey System, ATRAC is an option. (I think)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts