Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anybody on this forum has experience with any late model toyota SUVs; specifically relating to the STARS safety garbage they all come standard with.

Specifically, Can if be turned off?

there was a pic posted in another thread here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38 that shows a button labelled "trac" next to the "diff lock" button. for turning off the traction control maybe?

Soap Box
Vehicle Stability control, Traction Control, ABS, Electronic Brake-force distribution, and Brake assist are all fine and dandy as standard equipment for the PR department, but I am kind of fond of actually DRIVING. As opposed to pointing the vehicle in the general direction I would like to go and letting it decide how to get there....

I am a Diehard Toyota guy, but that kind of garbage e.g. (trying to make the vehicle able compensate for people who lack the skill necessaryto drive a Truck (such as 95% of soccer moms who drive tahoes)) makes me more inclined to invest in a transplanted import toyota diesel for my '88 4runner than buy anything new from them.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm with you on this topic. Especially in the area of ABS. I had never been in an accident until I bought a 99 S-10 that had ABS, I had two accidents inside of two years with that truck. It simply would not stop. I called GM who told me that it was designed for dry flat ground and people with NO driving ability. I ask you, when have you experienced a dry, flat road?

I have driven a huge amount of vehicle styles and types. I was trained to drive 5-ton trucks in the Marine Corps. I have owned vehicles ranging in size and ability from a 1980 Mazda RX-7 (riding on rails - absolutely awesome) to a 1970 Buick Electra Limited. I have owned and driven trucks from little 84 Toyota Trucks to mid 80's Ford Full Size vehicles and NEVER had an issue until I owned some hunk of crap with ABS brakes.

Catering to people who cannot drive is all fine and dandy, as long as you never expect them to improve their driving skills. Personally, I think they should have changed the requirements for driver's licenses all together rather than making vehicles that drive themselves.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldnt agree with you more, though since moving to California i have started to see why manufactures think these things are necessary. The people out here (for the most part) havent the first idea how to actually drive their vehicle, they just go along for the ride. and god forbid it ever rain! Going 40 on I-5 because it is drizzling is not my idea of fun; i have driven faster (without any accidents) than that in a blizzard back home in Michigan.

To keep somewhat on topic though, do you know if it gan be turned off?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not a fan of those things personally, it is just more expensive crap to go wrong. I have no objection to those things being available though because the average driver here in the U.S. well, can't drive. Driver skill is pretty sad in this country. I didn't even have to take a drivers test to get my license here in Va.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts