Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,373 Posts
Nice choice of FJ! Though most on here will stray away from 20" wheels due to them not being the best for off-roading, it does look to be lifted just from the appearance.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
The front has a cheap spacer lift, looks like 3". A spacer lift is a 'cosmetic' lift for appearances only, and has multiple negative functional effects. I would be very concerned about the areas where the protective coating has been knocked off the front springs, as that will allow localized corrosion and pitting that may eventually result in a fractured spring.

It's not clear from your photos what was done at the rear, but it is obviously also lifted. Some photos of the springs would help.

The 20" wheels and spacer lift indicate that the PO was more interested in cosmetic appearance than functionality and off-road capability.

A general recommendation would be to get rid of the spacer lift and replace it with a functional suspension lift. This will make a phenomenal off-road vehicle if you chose your mods to enhance the off-road performance.

I've got a '14, and here's what the 'stock' upper strut mount should look like:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The front has a cheap spacer lift, looks like 3". A spacer lift is a 'cosmetic' lift for appearances only, and has multiple negative functional effects. I would be very concerned about the areas where the protective coating has been knocked off the front springs, as that will allow localized corrosion and pitting that may eventually result in a fractured spring.

It's not clear from your photos what was done at the rear, but it is obviously also lifted. Some photos of the springs would help.

The 20" wheels and spacer lift indicate that the PO was more interested in cosmetic appearance than functionality and off-road capability.

A general recommendation would be to get rid of the spacer lift and replace it with a functional suspension lift. This will make a phenomenal off-road vehicle if you chose your mods to enhance the off-road performance.

I've got a '14, and here's what the 'stock' upper strut mount should look like:

View attachment 1179772
Thanks for that info. I did see that spacer on the front, but it looked (from age) that it was part of the stock assembly. I don't off-road and don't plan on it, but I do plan on setting it up to do so just because I like the look. So, suspension will be the first performance modification I do. Thanks again for pointing that out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed looks lifted. Wheel well pics might help to see better.

Btw- if I may ask- what seemed to be the issues that put the GWagen in the shop so often? They seem hearty.
Mine was a maintenance nightmare. It was in the shop more than on the road. I spent 12K in repairs this year alone. I finally threw in the towel. I drove it straight from the shop to the dealership to trade it in.

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,554 Posts
Welcome to your new FJ life!
You wallet may still hurt a little, but it'll be for 'fun' stuff now 😉

Reactions: debFJVT

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
If you’re not planning on off - roading, bring it back to stock configuration.

Your vehicle will thank you for it in the long run.

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,221 Posts
Welcome.

As FJTest confirmed yes a spacer lift up front. If the Bilsteins are stock then you must have the OR pack with CRAWL? (or is it stick shift). I too recommend either returning to stock or putting on new suspension to give you a proper lift that won't let you down.

I am surprised the G gave you such issues, they are usually bulletproof. I hope you enjoy many trouble free miles in your FJ.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Voodoo Blue, 6 Speed Manual w/Full Time 4WD, Fully Loaded, ORIGINAL OWNER
13 Posts
Hey Guys, got tired of the Mercedes G55 always being in the shop so I picked up a 2014 FJ in Cement Gray. I have a few questions, but first off. It came with 20" fuel wheels and to me, it looks like it possibly has a lift compared to others. Can you guys tell just by looking at it?

View attachment 1179765

Definitly lifted. Not a good setup for offroad, too much wheel not enough tire meat. Really nice looking FJC though!! Enjoy it, beat it up, they love abuse!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts