Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a Jeep Patriot Limited 4x4 with that super cool CVT2 transmission and a screaming 2.nothing liter 4 banger.

Let's just say it wasn't the Jeep I thought I bought, so I'll be trading it in for a shiny new FJ. Should have bought the FJ first, but was concerned about mileage. I'm only getting 24MPG highway with a 4 banger...I'll gladly sacrifice 2 more MPG for a 6cyl.

Patriot is a cost saving vehicle for Chrysler. Their fit and finish are horrible, their mechanical fasteners such as hinges are 40 year old tech and don't work...interior parts spot fading, clunking and creaking from suspension..

It's a piece of junk. Tell me about your FJ. Everyone I've talked to says they absolutely love it...so help me talk myself out of this Heep!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
It won't take much to talk you out of the Patriot. Just go test drive an FJ...

The fit and finish are incredible, and it just feels like the quality is there. Hard to put a finger on it, but I have no complaints in that department.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
<delete - duplicate post!>

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
It's a piece of junk. Tell me about your FJ. Everyone I've talked to says they absolutely love it...so help me talk myself out of this Heep!
I mean really, what can one actually say about a Chrysler and be honest. Heh, the above in bold certainly is tho.

Even the basics like how all the new Jeep vehicles look like hippos on wheels with big "Chatterer" teeth for a grille (Remember Chatterer from Hellraiser - Nasty - I sure as hell don't want a vehicle that looks like that).

Then, move on to the fantastic FJ ride, the durable but cool interior, the sound system, the impeccable Toyota reliability, and especially the offroad prowess. Aw sh!t, just get in one and have a friend take a photo of you in it. Look at the photo, then look at your chatterer hippo-mobile - SOLD

Welcome to the forum, now stop wasting time and get yourself an FJ! :bigthumb:

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am on my 2nd FJ now. The first, a 2007, had 29K miles and ran great and had excellent build quality, fit and finish. It was Titanium Silver and had no modifications done. It never had any warranty work needed on it and only needed routine maintenance. I would still have it, but I saw the 2008 Trail Team SE on-line in December and liked it so much that I ordered one and bought it in mid-April. The TT SE has been just as good! I just got back from Ouray and it did great. I average just over 19 MPG for the trip.

Only disappointment is the OEM front skid plate which did not hold up well off road. It protected the engine, but there are better after market plates out there.

Good Luck with your purchase, you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is a no-brainer! As already stated - drive an FJ and you'll be asking where to sign on the dotted line. The FJ has an excellent ride and ample power. You'll be wishing you bought the FJ out of the gate.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy Moly!

Went and took a brief little test drive today while they were checking out my Patriot for trade in value. Lost 10 grand in a year on the Patriot, only offered me 14 for it.

FJ does ride very nice. Interior layout is pretty sweet compared to the Heep too. Got a look at the trails edition...is that the right name for it? Looks like it'd be fun to drive.

Salesman told me of an aftermarket manufacturer that does up to an 8" lift for this in Riverside California that's factory authorized?!?

So what's the deal with tire sizes and whatnot...I'm afraid to put anything bigger on the Heep because it's got that CVT trans and it really hasn't been battle tested yet. Don't think it will hold up to the strain of extra weight for too long.

Oh man...I haven't been infatuated with a vehicle in a long time...that means trouble.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
You are in the right place for info. Check the "members build up" section.

I'd steer far away from anything over a 3" lift. Some folks have 6" lifts, but a 3" is adequate! Several good lift kits out there but the ARB OME seems to be the hands down favorite... (Flame suit on for comments on lift kits and height :lol:)

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
226 Posts
Man you got to get rid of that Jeep I mean come on you already 1. know about the fourm and 2. test drove it by now you should have already wasted your kids collage fund on mods

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a cherokee which I liked but the fj is a much nicer vehicle. no regrets on mine.

as a side note, there are quit a few used ones out there right now due to gas prices, alot of them were grocery getters and many dealers are looking to deal. value on the jeep will only get worse.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I now have 22,000 miles on my FJ. I have been told that I complain alot, about every/anything. I can't seem to find anything that I don't like. Go for the "TT" you were looking at, I was at the dealer the other day & checked one out & liked the fact they come with much more in the skid plate department. You will not be dissapointed with any FJ.....

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I test drove the FJ, Patriot, and Xterra back to back. The FJ beat the other 2 hands down in ever catagory. The X came in second with the Patriot a distant 3rd. Get the FJ, you won't be sorry.:rocker:

·
Registered
639 Posts
For me when I was looking for a truck my list was 1-Jeep (a real one, not that Patriot thing). 2- The FJ (never drove a Toyota before). and 3- the X (mileage sux).
I drove the X, and a nice Rubicon Jeep, liked them, but I think the Jeep won that one...
I went to the Toyota dealer, and all I had to do was sit in the FJ, and I was done. I took it for a test drive just to make sure (and beat it to hell with the sales dude in it (man, the look on his face was great!)).
When I came back I saw a TRD on the lot, and took it home!
So when are you getting yours?:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
The benefit of the Jeep is that it's very cheap and capable. But it doesn't hold a candle to the FJ when it comes to performance, fit and finish, quality, durability, and reliability.

It won't take much to talk you out of the Patriot. Just go test drive an FJ...

The fit and finish are incredible, and it just feels like the quality is there. Hard to put a finger on it, but I have no complaints in that department.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts