Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so does anyone have the part #s for the blacked out trail edition side mirrors and the bezel?

any supporting vendors selling this stuff yet??

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
ok so does anyone have the part #s for the blacked out trail edition side mirrors and the bezel?

any supporting vendors selling this stuff yet??
No offense brother, but your post count is high enough for me to say "do a search" and you will find a multitude on this topic.
In short, you can't.
Dealers require the VIN# to get these parts and sometimes want proof of ownership. Online vendors don't sell these because of this i believe.

Just paint your stuff. Saves money and helps you get to know the FJ better.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/51533-tt-parts-only-tt-owners.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/parts-sale/48695-wtb-08-trail-team-blacked-out-parts.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/42838-2008-white-se-parts-avail.html

All i did was type in "tt parts"

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no offense dude...I have done a search and have read the other threads, I would like to know if anyone has found a way to get the part #s and get around this somehow......I saw a thread a while ago where another member bought the side mirrors but they were very pricey......have any of the forum vendors gotten any of these parts? are the dealers still being pricks about VIN #s and so on.....any NEW info greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I think they are exact same part, just painted black instead of silver.

You can have them painted for way less than Toyota is going to charge you, is my guess. Other than being able to say the are TT edition mirrors I see no real difference.

But no I have not heard anything about it.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
No, they are not the same part painted black. They are black plastic. As far as I know only one or two people have been able to purchase TT parts and that was only because they got someone at the parts dept to break the rules and use a VIN from a TT on e-bay or something. Im pretty sure the mirrors were over $200 each! So probably the same for the bezel. Over $600 for plastic. In all probability, you won't be able to order the parts.... at least not honestly. You can always just pull a vin number from a TT on e-bay or in the showroom and use that number to order the parts. This will ultimately screw a real TT owner if he/she needs a replacement part because they don't just produce the blackout parts in high volume. If you are worried about painting the parts, take it to a professional. Thats what I did, and they look awesome. I would recommend getting the black tundra handles rather than painting them. They get so much wear and traffic, that I worry the paint would not hold up to well on the handles.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
no offense dude...I have done a search and have read the other threads, I would like to know if anyone has found a way to get the part #s and get around this somehow......I saw a thread a while ago where another member bought the side mirrors but they were very pricey......have any of the forum vendors gotten any of these parts? are the dealers still being pricks about VIN #s and so on.....any NEW info greatly appreciated
In that thread, he said he knew someone at the dealership and that guy hooked him up. The OP didn't want to even give out the dealership or the guys name from where he got it from and it also cost him $420 plus tax. Sorry if that first post came off kind of jerk-ish. Having some lady problems right now.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I had a professional paint mine, and they have a ton of Arizona pin striping on them but have never gotten to the silver below the paint. Door handles the same. Still not showing wear that I can see, but for sure it is a possiblity.

I have never looked at the TT vehicles closely, are the mirrors different in anyway other than the black plastic?. I know the trail team took a bunch of pictures of my truck at Ouray last year, and again this spring in Johnson Valley. I have had the black out going for well over a year now.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
cool. I think someone said that the TT mirrors, bezel, and handles are smooth, not textured the way the Tundra handles are. They just got a TT at the crappership up the street. I'll go check it out and let you know.

·
Registered
356 Posts
No, they are not the same part painted black. They are black plastic. As far as I know only one or two people have been able to purchase TT parts and that was only because they got someone at the parts dept to break the rules and use a VIN from a TT on e-bay or something. Im pretty sure the mirrors were over $200 each! So probably the same for the bezel. Over $600 for plastic. In all probability, you won't be able to order the parts.... at least not honestly. You can always just pull a vin number from a TT on e-bay or in the showroom and use that number to order the parts. This will ultimately screw a real TT owner if he/she needs a replacement part because they don't just produce the blackout parts in high volume. If you are worried about painting the parts, take it to a professional. Thats what I did, and they look awesome. I would recommend getting the black tundra handles rather than painting them. They get so much wear and traffic, that I worry the paint would not hold up to well on the handles.

What kind of proffessional did you go to? like an auto maaco type, or a plastics type?

Thanks, sounds like a good idea, any pics of your rig?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no harm no foul brother :) not to worried I have all my parts actually blacked out......was just wondering what the scoop was on these new parts if there were any updates

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Actually my build thread has the part numbers for the mirrors and no they do not require a VIN# to purchase any part.

They request the VIN to ensure the part is supposed to fit the vehicle and since their search software searches on VIN by default if you get a perts counter person who isn't really adept at what they are doing they don't know how to or maybe are too lazy search any other way.

Since you are putting parts on from different year vehicles the VINs will never be right. I have never had any problem ordering any part. When they ask for a VIN I tell them I'm ordering a part that did not come with my FJ but then my parts girl is very smart ;).

If you get any hassle go to another dealer or order it on-line from here Toyota Parts Center - Genuine Toyota Parts at discounted prices.

And on a side note not really to jab you with a sharp stick but I searched for "trail Team Mirrors" and my post was #3 in the list :shrug03:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I live across the street from a custom Corvette shop. I had them do the painting. They used some special formula for binding to plastic.

As far as the TT parts, I originally tried ordering them from three local dealers and all said they couldn't/wouldn't do it. Then I tried some of the online vendors and got pretty much the same answers. I wrote to the parts dept at Sparks Toyota and the manager responded with the following:

"Hi Jacob,

Right now the only way to get the parts on that FJ is to have a VIN
number to get them with, if you use some ones VIN and they get in an
accident then they can't get the parts you order because they are
registered
to that VIN, so right now Toyota has those parts on lock down so to
say. Let
me know if we can help with anything else.

If they become available I will be up on FJcruisers.com posting about
it
for sure.

Thanks,
Mark"

So, sparks and all the others I called are the ones who said you need the VIN. Unless Toyota has decided to just cave in and start selling the blackout parts, which they should have done from the get go, Someone is breaking rules for you to get those parts. If you want to get the parts from the distributor in the link, I'd do it fast, before the man puts a stop to it.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
No one is breaking any rules to get me parts, that I can assure you.

I have never been asked for a VIN# to buy any part for my FJ and I've bought a number of parts. Some of them Toyota add-ons but a number of stock replacement parts for experiments that didn't go quite right and not once did that parts manager at my dealer ask me for my VIN.

In fact he told me the part numbers for the TT mirrors and told me when they were in the supply chain there wouldn't be any issue ordering them for my non-TT FJ.

Toyota is not restricting parts to specific models. There may be availability issues but Toyota makes parts to sell not to sit around on the shelf.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You're right! It looks like they have changed the policy. Initially they were restricting the sale of these parts in an attempt to keep the TT "special". Here is what mark just told me in a series of messages:

"humm,they may have changed policy on me. let me call and see what the
deal
is on that..........thanks for the heads up on it by the way......"

"just looked it up, and it is showing up in the EPC now, wasn't before,
so it
looks like it's a go on getting them,typical Toyota,
keep that pic to yourself, they get mad when we show that
stuff.......;o)"

"let me know if you want to get some of that stuff,since we can get it
now............"

"just checked the part number for the right mirror and it is not in
stock
anywhere in the states.............."

So you're right about availability being a problem too. My stuff is already blacked out and I'm not interested in paying for the TT parts, but it is good to know that they are available now.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The black trim parts will not need a VIN to order. I've already placed orders on some of these parts for customers (which are still currently on order as the warhouses across the country are still showing they are unavailable) and they did not require the VIN.

TT parts that will require the VIN are the accessories...such as the wheels, floor mats, cargo mat, gear shift knobs and the much wanted TT badge.

I can order the black parts all day long, you're just gonna have to wait a little while though before they actually come in. :)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Outinthewoods,

I have hood, bezel, mirrors and handles done on mine, you can see it in this section under skersfans blacked out hood and roof.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I used the Wurth Satin Black Trim Paint. It is Flexible with a Satin Finish, Equilivant to factory blacked out trim, and renishes steel, aluminum & Plastic bumpers.

I just took off the bezel and Sanded it down, as for the rest of the parts, I taped off and sanded them down before Applying paint. I did exactly as the TT Edition except my FJ is Silver.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have the front bumper wings from mine, that i took off for my prerunnner bumper if anyone wants to buy them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts