Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I am finally ordering my FJ and saw a Trail Edition..Love the White and black wheels...I will mostly be using the FJ for city roads..is the Trail edition with the Bilstein ride quality very different from stock?

Can't wait to finally get one...

!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
It isn't a dramatic diff. Even less so if you don't plan on taking it off road. I love the look of those black wheels too, but when I looked at them in person, they seem to be very prone to rock damage. They need to recess the spokes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had been going back and forth on color...Finally had decided on Silver and went to order it...When I got to the dealer today they were taking delivery and I saw a Trail Edition on the truck...That was it! Love the white..Hope to get it by the weekend!

Glad the ride difference is not that substantial..have to read up on it now..

Photos: 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Price

·
Registered
161 Posts
I own the Trail Teams and did an extended road test on a regular FJ. I think the ride has a little more bounce in the TT. I guess it's the combination of higher profile tires and more performance oriented shocks.

That being said, I like the ride. It's still an improvement over my old '99 Range Rover, which could be harsh at times.

·
Banned
338 Posts
TRD Shocks handle FAR better than the stock ones. Problem with the stock ones is the FJ's nose dives like crazy, the TRDs fix this problem quite a bit, and make for a much sturdier ride.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm constantly amazed at the ride quality in my stock TT FJ. I test drove a couple of non-TT's and thought they rode extremely well also. Couldn't really tell a difference. Compared to the Tundra that I traded in for my FJ, the ride is much, much better.

P.S. - As a comparison, I rode in my cousin's Liberty a few months back and thought I was going to need a kidney transplant by the time we reached our destination.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TRD Shocks handle FAR better than the stock ones. Problem with the stock ones is the FJ's nose dives like crazy, the TRDs fix this problem quite a bit, and make for a much sturdier ride.
I was hoping someone would post this...I had a Land Cruiser and the nose diving was very pronounced..I changed the shocks to Bilstein and it tightened it up and made quite a difference..This was a 2001 model..

It would be nice if it's a similar difference in the FJ..regardless I am excited about the TT..never expected to order this one..was not on the radar at all..

·
Banned
338 Posts
I was hoping someone would post this...I had a Land Cruiser and the nose diving was very pronounced..I changed the shocks to Bilstein and it tightened it up and made quite a difference..This was a 2001 model..

It would be nice if it's a similar difference in the FJ..regardless I am excited about the TT..never expected to order this one..was not on the radar at all..
Well, it'll have the same effect on the FJ as it did your land cruiser, want it stiffer and more leveled? Shell out 160$ for a Daystar 2.5" leveling kit, completely eliminates brake dive and it still drives GREAT, and of course, looks bad ass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it'll have the same effect on the FJ as it did your land cruiser, want it stiffer and more leveled? Shell out 160$ for a Daystar 2.5" leveling kit, completely eliminates brake dive and it still drives GREAT, and of course, looks bad ass.
:lol: Well, that's great news..the difference in my LC was major...as you can see in my sig, I like sports cars and don't mind a firmer ride..Why am I more excited about this truck than I was with my last lux sedan? I can barely get up my driveway in my gt3...will be nice to not have to worry about that...Can't wait for the next major flood...lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
F.E.A.R. called it perfect, The combo of the off-road pkg. and the Daystar spacers is almost perfect! Love it boyh on and off-road. 2nd FJ, first had stock susp., just doesn't match up.

·
Registered
213 Posts
:DI can feel the difference too. Im on on FJ number 2 and the 07 TRD's have the same shocks/suspension as the TT and there is a better ride with the Bilsteins. The TRD is louder thanks to the exhaust but thats ok with me.
Larry

07 TRD SE

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
FJDave said:
Well, quick report....

Last Friday Wrigman and I installed a full set of front/rear 2008 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams suspension (shocks/springs in front, shocks in the rear). The donor vehicle was FJ-Piper, and man, is his TT FJ looking SWEET!! He got the full Fox Adjustables.

Anyway, even with a little trouble getting one of the rear shock top nuts tightened, the install went smoothly. Well, if you count hammered threads on one of the knucle bolts....

After the install, I measured the front and rear spacing from the top of the tire to the bottom of the plastic wheel well edge. The fronts were 4 3/4" and the rears were 5 3/4". So, it's just 1" different. I'm happy with that. And the Bilstein shocks that are part of the package are 1" longer than the standard shocks for 1" more articulation. I'm even happier with that.

Now, the drive with these is MUCH better than the standard 4X2 and 4X4 suspension. It's a bit stiffer of a ride, with less body roll, lean, and brake dive than standard. Now THAT I'm VERY happy with.
This is my post from today in this thread----> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x2-discussion/55417-trd-4x4-suspension-pics-2.html

Says it all (from my perspective, anyway).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts