Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think that a winch is mandatory for me:lol:

:thinkerg:Or have someone that has a winch, Terry or Matt, with me at all times.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I want to add to the Communication. With it being the 21st century it's easy for us to take the Communication part for granted, since everyone has a cell phone. After going to Harlan, KY & Tellico this year, both areas have very little cell service and very spotting when you did have it. Always let someone know where you are going and when you are planning on being back.

Larry (Uphill) posted in a different thread about a new safety device. It's called Spot and appears to be a nice investment if you plan on being in remote areas a lot.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I saw that spot thing on another website and have been thinking about it for when I ride the motorcycle. I ride a lot of back mountain roads and it'd be nice to have something like this if you end up a few hundred feet down the side of the mountain!

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Show up gassed up, on time, with any food you need for the trip.

It's courteous to report to the meeting place ready to roll, not hoping to have the whole group wait at a gas station and/or food place for you! :)

M

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Show up gassed up, on time, with any food you need for the trip.

It's courteous to report to the meeting place ready to roll, not hoping to have the whole group wait at a gas station and/or food place for you! :)

M
Amen, and if you are going to be late give someone a call.

Get a contact number from someone going with you and give them yours.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Great advice from all who Posted!!!

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
If you got stuck and others are willing to help you, By all means don't just sit in the truck get out and do the hard and dirty work yourself and get back in your truck.
That's a GOOD one! I've seen people sitting like piggies in a mud puddle while someone waded out to them, hooked up, then winched them out. Unreal. :slant:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Anyone have a basic "must have" tool list? I'm set on recovery gear (winch, treesaver, tow strap, snatch block) and have a highlift and compressor, so now I want to build up some tools. I have plenty at home, but I hate robbing the big tool box, I'd rather have a set just for the trail. I was thinking on one of those "box sets", just basic wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers. Anything specific?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts