Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I E-mailed Trailgear to let them know all three of the cross members on my passenger side rock rail is very rusty. They asked to see photos which I sent to them and they replied.
"We have no guarantees against rust, but when did you order them?

John Robertson
Sales Manager
559.252.4950"

I called them back and they just kept repeating that they couldn't help me out. I let them know that I would let 48,000 people know that their powder coating was no good. ........:flame:
This rail has NEVER touched a rock. Their powder coat just falls off for no apparent reason. So if you like to do unnecessary maintenance on your equipment buy TRAILGEAR sliders. ............:flame:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I E-mailed Trailgear to let them know all three of the cross members on my passenger side rock rail is very rusty. They asked to see photos which I sent to them and they replied.
"We have no guarantees against rust, but when did you order them?

John Robertson
Sales Manager
559.252.4950"

I called them back and they just kept repeating that they couldn't help me out. I let them know that I would let 48,000 people know that their powder coating was no good. ........:flame:
This rail has NEVER touched a rock. Their powder coat just falls off for no apparent reason. So if you like to do unnecessary maintenance on your equipment buy TRAILGEAR sliders. ............:flame:
In my opinion, I think Trail Gear sliders are great...FOR THE MONEY. If you think you are going to get top notch sliders for $200 you will be disappointed. My thought on these is that for the price that you pay for other sliders, you can repaint these black a few times until they fall apart and then buy another set that you repaint a few times again until the new ones fall apart. I figure that no matter how great other sliders are, they won't outlast two pairs of Trail Gear sliders...time will tell. I have had mine for a year now.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
In my opinion, I think Trail Gear sliders are great...FOR THE MONEY. If you think you are going to get top notch sliders for $200 you will be disappointed. My thought on these is that for the price that you pay for other sliders, you can repaint these black a few times until they fall apart and then buy another set that you repaint a few times again until the new ones fall apart. I figure that no matter how great other sliders are, they won't outlast two pairs of Trail Gear sliders...time will tell. I have had mine for a year now.
I have to agree. Trail Gear sliders are now selling for $215.00 a pair. I can barely buy the steel for that. It would cost more than that for a good powder coat job.

So if you buy TG sliders, strip the powder off them, prime and paint them with a quality paint and be happy you got such a great deal.
My OPINION:wave:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yep yep. Mine are rusting in the corners.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
So if you buy TG sliders, strip the powder off them, prime and paint them with a quality paint and be happy you got such a great deal.
My OPINION:wave:
Yep, there's your answer. Then just spray over any trail scrapes. Same with skids.
You can do a perfect prep job and powder coating will eventually still fail.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
mine haven't rusted yet. ive had them for a little over a year now. trying to sell them now though to get something with a kickout and that goes further back. keep the little pine trees off my rear panel.

·
Registered
729 Posts
All things made of steel will rust... Sorry but why have rock rails if your not gonna use then maybe try side steps next, if you need help getting in...

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I've had no complaints...they get sandblasted by my big 35's...I spray bomb them with Rustoleum....

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All things made of steel will rust... Sorry but why have rock rails if your not gonna use then maybe try side steps next, if you need help getting in...

I don't go rock crawling intentionally but I do go over washed out roads at times and I want the extra protection.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
They should really offer them bare. Get rid of the powder coat, and drop $20 off the price. I get all of my steel bare if I can. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
They should really offer them bare. Get rid of the powder coat, and drop $20 off the price. I get all of my steel bare if I can. :cheers:
They use to do that. Mine was like that. Mine was like $50 less, but powdercoating cost me $130ish.

·
Registered
920 Posts
You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just bumping the warning during the "Group Buy" They are NOT worth the money!!!!............:flame:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
You get what you pay for.
I should have learned my lesson a long time ago!:mecry:

My used TG sliders have become rust buckets!!!

Just bumping the warning during the "Group Buy" They are NOT worth the money!!!!............:flame:
They are worth the Mula...just not the way they powdercoat the sliders.....
I hope TG just Man's UP to this situation before... :bigthumb:

Live and Learn!!! I guess???

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I don't even want to ask where they are made in. Lots of people here put the stock rock rails down but they are made of stainless steel tubing and no rust for six years of abuse.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i don't understand what the problem is here to require starting a thread. Yes i agree their customer service sucks balls. A can of paint is under $5. You don't even need to take the sliders off to paint them. Given their function you don't even need to prep them for paint. I use a piece of cardboard to shield the doors and spray the tubes.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i don't understand what the problem is here to require starting a thread. Yes i agree their customer service sucks balls. A can of paint is under $5. You don't even need to take the sliders off to paint them. Given their function you don't even need to prep them for paint. I use a piece of cardboard to shield the doors and spray the tubes.
I asked them nicely what I should do and they just didn't care about my problem. I told them I'd let 48,000 people know about it and I am doing that during their group buy to warn people of their $hit powder coating.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
It seemed to work. They do not powder coat any more. I think that sucks; I don't want to have to paint the rails myself. No paint, powdercoat or linex is going to hold up to rocks hitting your skids with 5,000 pounds behind them.

$200 for good, but not great, sliders is a solid deal to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts