Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally installed my brand new Trail Gear rock sliders last night. I love 'em, they look sick, and I'm pumped about my first real mod. Here's a quick rundown of how my install went and things to look out for:

Threading the bolts through the frame before install is a great idea. First, I sprayed some WD40 in the holes and cleaned them out with a wire brush. I greased up the bolt after every couple holes to keep the lube flow'n, ah yeah.

I ended up buying some 6 ton jack stands after an initial failed attempt to install the sliders by propping them up with pieces of wood, stools, buckets, etc. But when I got the jack stands all set up, they were too tall! I couldn't believe it, and did NOT want to go back to autozone last night to exchange them (will do today though). So, I went back to my bread and butter and propped up the sliders with my custom bucket/wood technique to get them at the right height. The gussets or brackets will want to swing down, so moving them close to the frame will help keep them level while you line them up with the holes.

I realized then, I forgot to disconnect the brake line brackets so that the sliders can mount to frame without them getting in the way. I unbolted them and pried them both apart to remove them until after I got done with the slider on that side.

Since my buckets and wood were on the ends, I couldn't get to either of the far brackets to start threading the bolts, so I started in the middle. (side note: I read that some guys prop them up in the middle, hence giving them access to the ends to bolt, but I just didn't do it this way). I had a hard time getting my hands in there to do the top bolts first, so I started with the bottom middle two. Threaded them in about 3/4 of the way and was able to take away my bucket/wood props at that point.

The rest go on pretty easy. A couple get hard to deal with because of the limited space for the ratchet, so those are slow going. Went back to tighten them all up when I had all the bolts in and everything was aligned. I took the two brake line brackets, swapped them, bent them back onto the metal tubes on the line and screwed em back in. Here's a link that illustrates this (scroll down half-way):

Swapping the brake line brackets

And voila! I finished the first side and jumped on them and rocked the FJ as a celebratory dance. Once I had that figured out, the second side went a lot faster. In total the job took me 3 hours. Guys who say they did it in an hour and a half are either master mechanics who've done this before, or just straight lying and underestimating their time.

Props to Trail Gear for fast shipping and solid packaging. And mad props to this forum and everyone's tips and comments. It amazes me, the amount of info this forum provides - too much fun (as I type this at work haha).

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Nice job and congrats on your first mod... be careful they are addictive. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for the write up and the link to the brake line images. I just got mine in the mail and I will be attempting an install soon. Your post will be very helpful!

Keep us up on future mods!

j

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem CobraKai, the more info and minute detail the better (for those who are looking for it).

Thinking about an Arb bumper next - gotta start saving (told the wife last night - she wasn't lik'n it, lots of eye rolling, sorry honey, got the mod bug - they warned me!)

·
Registered
158 Posts
HA! Yeah, I'm getting married in 2 months, so I'm trying to get as many mods done before that as possible! Good luck with the bumper. From what I've read you need to upgrade your suspension to handle the added weight, so don't forget to throw that in there as well!

·
Registered
14 Posts
HEY YOU COPIED ME :lol::lol:
I HAVE A BLACK DIAMOND WITH THE SAME LOOK MINUS THE RED THING ON THE RACK.
I STILL NEED TO DO THE BRACKET RELOCATION YOU DID THOUGH, CONGRATS TO YOU FOR DOING IT YOURSELF, I HAD MY BROTHER HELP ME

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HA! Yeah, I'm getting married in 2 months, so I'm trying to get as many mods done before that as possible! Good luck with the bumper. From what I've read you need to upgrade your suspension to handle the added weight, so don't forget to throw that in there as well!
Haha, quickly quickly! At least if she knows about it now, she can expect this to continue in the future. I'm a big proponent of honesty with my wife.

Thanks for the heads up on the suspension/arb, I have a lot of research to do.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Congrats on your new TG sliders, I luv mine. Here's a little tip in case you need it, you can buy NON-SKID TAPE to provide secure traction and maybe avoid a twisted ankle or other injury. My wife slipped climbing aboard and hurt herself. I bought the tape at Northern Tool. If you don't use it you will slowly wear the paint down to primer in no time. Rattle can works easy enough.

·
Registered
876 Posts
...Threading the bolts through the frame before install is a great idea. First, I sprayed some WD40 in the holes and cleaned them out with a wire brush. I greased up the bolt after every couple holes to keep the lube flow'n, ah yeah....

Gotta ask...

Did you completely clean/degrease the holes after you chased the threads with the bolt?

Did you then apply loctite or other thread locker to the installation bolts?

If not, how long do you expect your install to last and stay tight/properly tourqed with greased bolt threads? A wire brush alone in the procedure you described is not enough, and may have set you up for a bit of failure down the road.

Just my $ .135

A.W.D.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotta ask...

Did you completely clean/degrease the holes after you chased the threads with the bolt?

Did you then apply loctite or other thread locker to the installation bolts?

If not, how long do you expect your install to last and stay tight/properly tourqed with greased bolt threads? A wire brush alone in the procedure you described is not enough, and may have set you up for a bit of failure down the road.

Just my $ .135

A.W.D.
Uh, yeah good question. Before you said it, I had no idea that stuff existed really. I'm a total noob if you can't tell. I did NOT degrease the holes after threading the bolts through the first time. God knows I don't want to uninstall the things again to add some loctite, but if you feel like this could be a serious problem, then maybe I will.

I can tell you though, the holes were not super greased up and I didn't end up using the greasy extra bolt to do the initial threading. Idk, you think I'd be good if I just keep an eye on them, maybe check the bolts every couple months to make sure they're tight?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ive had mine on for about a year and I did everything you did minus the wire brush and brake bracket, couldnt undo the bolt so Im missing a bolt on one side, anyways still tight as ever plus the bolts all rusted so the might be a little frozen dont worry about the tightnes.
See you at nauset there saying only another week:flame:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive had mine on for about a year and I did everything you did minus the wire brush and brake bracket, couldnt undo the bolt so Im missing a bolt on one side, anyways still tight as ever plus the bolts all rusted so the might be a little frozen dont worry about the tightnes.
See you at nauset there saying only another week:flame:
Yeah, I wish. Not sure if I'm gonna lay down the $180 for a non-resident pass for oversand permit at Nauset. I wish they sold day passes - do they?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Negatory on the weekly passes brotha. At Nauset Beach, it's season pass only.

But farther up on the cape at Race Point the passes go for $50 and half the beaches are open. Thats prob what you're referring to.

Headed down to the outer banks - gonna check out offroading up in Corolla on the beach, maybe dodge a few wild horses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts