Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the most common requests that comes up every year in the weeks and months leading up to the Summit. So, I figured I'd add it to the mix of 'All-Years' Summit threads.

There are lots of trail maps, guidebooks, mobile apps, websites, tools, etc out there.

Here are some ideas for the various categories...

Official FJ Summit Event Guide
Every year, the organizers put together a nice, full-color, bound guide for the FJ Summit. It gets distributed once you get to Ouray for the Event (included as part of the 'goodie bag' that's usually handed out when you register on-site at the registration booth at Summit headquarters). This guide, while not exhaustive, has nice 'overview' maps and descriptions of all of the main trails that are part of the 'official' trail runs at the Summit.

Primary Trails used for FJ Summit official Trail Runs
(Including the Alpine Loop, Poughkeepsie Gulch, CA/Corkscrew, Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass & Ophir Pass)
Official FJ Summit web page
My post below with links to maps, descriptions, photos, videos, etc

Maps
Colorado Atlas and Gazetteer (very handy; includes public/private land indications. I have this in both paper format for the vehicle and electronic format for viewing on my computer)
MVUMs (Motor Vehicle Use Maps; these are very important, especially if you will be doing any extracurricular exploring during your time in the area)
....MVUM for Gunnison National Forest
....MVUM for Rio Grand National Forest
....MVUM for San Juan National Forest
....MVUM for Uncompahgre National Forest
Latitude 40 (Recreation maps for Colorado and Utah.
....(They have two maps that are great for a wider view of this area)
....Telluride-Silverton-Ouray
....Southwest Colorado

Guidebooks
Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails
Colorado Trails Southwest Region

Websites
Trail Damage (trails, map)
Composite list of TrailDamage.com links for the trail that we usually do for the FJ Summit
GPS Tracks from IntrepidXJ's Adventure Blog

Mobile Apps
My Tracks (free from Google) - I download the GPS Exchange Files (.gpx) from Trail Damage and import them to My Tracks. They're not as 'good-to-go' as a product like Every Trail (below), but it's all free.
PDF Maps Mobile App (free from Avenza) - My new favorite maps app on my Android phone.
Every Trail ($3.99 with limited free version)
BackCountry Navigator ($9.99 with a free trial; haven't tried it yet)
Trimble Outdoors Navigator ($4.99 with limited free version; haven't tried it yet)

Tools
GPS receiver (any late-generation Android or iOS phone should do the trick)
Compass (ya, even this might [and has] come in handy if batteries are all dead)

Responsible OHV
Stay The Trail
Tread Lightly
Leave No Trace
Post in this thread with links to Ouray/Region-specific rules, regulations, city ordinances, etc

Forum Threads
(you can browse some of the threads from past Summit years, and glean a lot of good info in this area)
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/national-summit-discussion/31188-summit-trail-maps.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2011-fj-cruiser-summit/132090-summit-maps-colorado-trail-guides.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/national-summit-discussion/20010-great-trail-guide-fj-summit.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2009-fjcruiser-summit/81638-guide-books-information-summit-trails.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2012-fjcruiser-summit/149558-ouray-area-trail-guide.html
www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2013-fjcruiser-summit/163240-best-trail-maps-online-summit.html

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
An Android app that I've found very usefull for trail navigation is BackCountry Navigator. I believe it is $10 from Google Play Store.

This app has lots of map choices to choose from both free and paid and works when your not in cell coverage. Of course in order to work when not in cell coverage you must due your prep work and download the maps before hand.

BackCountry Navigator is also great for hiking and other outdoor activites.

You can load gpx and kml files from places like Trail Damage and others and be good to go.:bigthumb:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! Great maps, indeed. I have some from them and love them. Thanks :bigthumb:

An Android app that I've found very usefull for trail navigation is BackCountry Navigator. I believe it is $10 from Google Play Store.

This app has lots of map choices to choose from both free and paid and works when your not in cell coverage. Of course in order to work when not in cell coverage you must due your prep work and download the maps before hand.

BackCountry Navigator is also great for hiking and other outdoor activites.

You can load gpx and kml files from places like Trail Damage and others and be good to go.:bigthumb:
Cool. I will be checking that one out sometime soon. Thanks for the tip.

I have added both of these to the OP. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Unfortunately, this 2010 version map is being updated and available at the END of July according to Latitude 40 via email.
:rofl: It's not as though any of the trails have been moved and the old mine relics are still in the same place. I'd say same map with a new stamp that says "updated July 2013".

The National Geographic/Trails Illustrated maps are also great.

One can also find maps by searching Google images.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
: It's not as though any of the trails have been moved and the old mine relics are still in the same place.
While that may or may not be true, I understand your point. My point was it's too bad the updated version is after the event. It can, but may not, encompass minor changes due to rock fall, public or private land changes, new or closed trails, etc. I'm not sure about the Indiana mountains, but the Colorado mountains have a lot more movement in them than the Texas mountains.

Guess we will find out in July. If it's the same, I may write 2013 on mine.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
While that may or may not be true, I understand your point. My point was it's too bad the updated version is after the event. It can, but may not, encompass minor changes due to rock fall, public or private land changes, new or closed trails, etc. I'm not sure about the Indiana mountains, but the Colorado mountains have a lot more movement in them than the Texas mountains.

Guess we will find out in July. If it's the same, I may write 2013 on mine.
hehehe Indiana mountains :D Things can change but I don't believe anything has changed since we've been having Summits (2007). :cheers:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I've been running those trails for over 20 years and they're pretty much the same as they were when I first started doing them. There are the occasional trail closures due to blockage (sometimes man-made, sometimes Mother Nature) but at some point that always gets resolved.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since this came up in another thread, I figured I might as well paste it here too...

Below are the Trail Damage pages for the trails involved with each trail run.

On each one, it includes a link to a modified map of the route (marked in red), as well as links to download data for use on the trail, such as GPS Exchange File (this is what I download and use in the Google app named 'My Tracks), Google Earth Track, Trailhead Google Earth Placemark, etc. Each page also has photos and sometimes videos.

Alpine Loop
Mineral Creek
....-Google Earth Track
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
Engineer Pass
....-Google Earth Track
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
Cinnamon Pass
....-Google Earth Track
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
After the Alpine Loop, I usually take County Rd. 2 (following the Animas River down to Silverton)
* jimmy-buffett's Alpine Loop GPS+Photo Track from 07/23/11

Poughkeepsie Gulch
Mineral Creek
....-Google Earth Track
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
Poughkeepsie Gulch
....-Google Earth Track
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
Hurricane Pass
....-Google Earth Track (we don't do the trail to the peak)
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
Corkscrew Gulch
....-Google Earth Track (this is our way out of the complex. So, note the direction of travel may be different)
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
* jimmy-buffett's Poughkeepsie Gulch GPS+Photo Track from 07/19/12

California/Corkscrew
Mineral Creek
....-Google Earth Track
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
California Gulch
....-Google Earth Track
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
Hurricane Pass
....-Google Earth Track (we don't do the trail to the peak)
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
Corkscrew Gulch (this is our way out of the complex. So, note the direction of travel may be different)
....-Google Earth Track
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
* jimmy-buffett's Cali./Cork GPS+Photo Track from 07/21/11

Imogene Pass
Imogene Pass
....-Google Earth Track (we go Ouray-to-Telluride; starting on Camp Bird Rd.)
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
* jimmy-buffett's Imogene Pass GPS+Photo Tracks from 07/22/11 and 07/20/12.

Black Bear Pass
Black Bear Pass
....-Google Earth Track
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map
* jimmy-buffett's Black Bear Pass GPS+Photo Track from 07/20/12

Ophir Pass
Ophir Pass
....-Google Earth Track (we use this as a route for going back to Ouray after going to Telluride via Imogene or Black Bear)
....-GPS Exchange File
....-Map

I am very sleepy, and did not take long to paste this here. If I missed anything, let me know...

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Responsible OHV

About this post:
This post will be for a list of links to resources for responsible OHV use, as well as a place to point out odds-n-ends and little-known tid-bits of info about this-or-that which may, in some way, be related to or have some level of bearing on our use of the public lands in and around the greater Ouray area...

[There are many more things that need to be added to this list. I'm just putting this stuff here now as a placeholder. Whatever else you think should be here, go ahead and post up] (based on the start and end dates on the page linked here, I think it's interesting to think about how many days of work it takes to open some of these trails)

Ouray/Region-Specific
4-Wheel Drive Road Schedule - 2013
Camp Bird Road Slow and Quiet Zone Brochure
Alpine Loop OHV Brochure
OHV Regulations
County Ordinances
Land Use Code

General
Stay The Trail
Tread Lightly
Leave No Trace

·