Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you folks: How often do you have to strap up your front suspension to get a tire off the ground without having your hi-lift at a sketchy height?

Assuming I could run a ratchet strap under my lower control arm and up to around the frame to limit the travel?

Or possibly carry a block of wood to have a little bit extra on a bottle jack?

What I have in mind is being prepped for broken CVs and tie rods.

Thank you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It might be useful to have. I usually have several in my recovery bag in case I need to put something on my roof rack. Honestly, catastrophic failures on the trail with Toyotas are not very common. If this was a Jeep forum, I'd give you a different answer :rofl:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Block of wood for the OE bottle jack.

Or start carrying a decent floor jack.

That is gonna take some incredibly strong ratchet strap to be able to compress a coilover IMO.

Would a 48" hi lift be able to lift up an LT rig up completely from the front bumper? I'm thinking in cases of breaking tie rods in a rock garden and having to turn the wheel to full lock on the broken tie rod side to get a pipe wrench around it.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Would a 48" hi lift be able to lift up an LT rig up completely from the front bumper? I'm thinking in cases of breaking tie rods in a rock garden and having to turn the wheel to full lock on the broken tie rod side to get a pipe wrench around it.
It could probably do it, but I've never used a hi lift. Consider lifting from a slider too, they make attachments for that.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I don't use my hi-lift unless I absolutely have to. It won't get my rear tires off the ground until it's near max lift height, which is really unstable and dangerous.

I would Never crawl under the vehicle to perform repairs with just a hi-lift holding it.

Like @Iconic_ , I use the oem bottle jack and a couple blocks of wood.

More recently, I've used my buddy's oem scissor jack from 1ton pickup, that he modified to work with an impact gun. Goes up/down in a few seconds. I want to make one too, but haven't had time to go to the junkyard

I carry a piece of chain (w/ hook) to limit the suspension if needed, but I've never needed it. A ratchet strap would also work, but don't expect to ratchet the suspension up, it's not a come-along

·
Registered
562 Posts
I use my hi lift in a very simple method. Using rail adapter I open the door so if something goes wrong it won't dent the door.(Experience) I jack it up a get the job done. 3" lift & 35" tires. Easy. Once the tire is off I slip it under the frame just for safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking -- if you had long travel front with limit straps couldn't you carry a smaller limit strap so that when you're at ride height swapping the strap would be able to limit your downtravel a bunch?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts