Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we all know running some of the trails we run can be very hard on your vehicle and could cause damage at any time. We also understand that being stranded out there on the trail alone could really suck. This is why we all try to go out of our way to help out someone stranded on the trail, because next time it might be them.

So please share any rescue stories that you have from your trip to Ouray.

I know there are some that I'd like to know more about. Like the Metaltech FJ assisting a SUV that seemed to make a wrong turn. Or just about anything the Keeper touched this week seemed to fall apart on him.

On my way to Ouray, I passed a FJ towing a trailer along side a smoking Mitsubishi Montero. The Montero was owned by the FJ'ers son and they were on the way to the summit when something went wrong. I'm not exactly sure what happened to the Montero, but we ended up towing it about 24 miles into Pagosa Springs CO. and leaving it there. On my way home, It didn't seem to be where we left it.

If anyone know the rest of this story I'd like to find out how things ended up.

A few more pictures...Picasa Web Albums - Chuck - Towing a Montero
Thanks,
Chuck

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
on the Friday 9:30 Ophir Pass there was a broken down jeep in opposing traffic. Very bad spot for anyone to try to pass. So a lot of us gave him gas, tried to figure out what was wrong (maybe dirt in the carb), but ultimately couldn't fix him. So we ended up towing him to a flat spot, turning him around so he'd be leaning down hill.
Now I know some of the group that I was leading wasn't happy, but I think all in all, after helping the gentlemen who didn't show much enthusiasm, I think we all realized that it could be us broken down and him helping us. It's good to put the karma out there, not to discriminate a person by their vehicle, and realize that it could very well be them helping you on the trail.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
I hit Ophir on the way back from my Black Bear run on Saturday. I saw a white Jeep rental with a flat and the guy was trying to figure out how to get the jack out (you have to lower the jack to loosen it and pull it out). I said, "I've got nowhere to be and nobody will miss me so let's get this done." About five minutes later, it was done.

He asked where I was from and I answered "Indiana". He said, "No kidding, I'm from Cleveland, Ohio." He said he was a contractor and found a job in Telluride on one of those multi-million dollar homes. He commented that there's not much going on in Ohio and you've gotta take the work where you can get it . . . so they loaded up their trucks with tools and hit the road for a few weeks.

Of course I mentioned that I've been known to do a little high-end woodworking and we exchanged business cards. I also happened to have a portfolio of completed jobs with me which we flipped through. I think TiFJ and Cashnutz drove by about this time and then I hit the trail.

I wouldn't mind spending a little more time in Telluride. I saw lots of ponytails there. :lol:

I forgot that all carnage is to be documented until the tire had already been changed.

:)

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Not this year but last year on Alpine loop we ran into a guy that had some how backed over his tail pipe and wrapped it around his axle and couldn't move. Him and his wife were stuck out there.

A couple of us pulled together and got a saw saw and cut it off the truck and he was on his way. He was pretty happy with us!

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
we managed to do that! burnt our body too :rofl:

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,801 Posts
Not this year but last year on Alpine loop we ran into a guy that had some how backed over his tail pipe and wrapped it around his axle and couldn't move. Him and his wife were stuck out there.

A couple of us pulled together and got a saw saw and cut it off the truck and he was on his way. He was pretty happy with us!
Hey I remember that. I was under that truck with you Thanks again for the shirt. I'm glad we got that old guy and his wife rolling again. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
To me it is just like boating, you stop to offer assistance. At some point it could be you on the side of the road or adrift and need assistance.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
not a rescue but a rescue prevention....after exiting OPHIR PASS and airing up a blue little compact sedan pulled up. Two guys in front and a lady in back...all in 20s. They asked if they could get to Telluride on this road....I smiled and said you could as we just came from there but he would not want to do it in that car...as it is pretty rough. We then told them it would be the most fun she had with two guys that she could write home about........and most fun the two guys could have together without be called gay....but we did not recommend it.

They were following mapquest, gps or something and it showed SHORTEST ROUTE...them not knowing that it also must include UNPAVED ROADS. Told them the easier way to go and they were on their way.

There was also an old couple in 70s that followed us at distance in a Ford Escape...bone stock. Luckily they did not puncture a sidewall on the stones and shale as he admittedly froze up on the ledges a couple times. We met a family at summit and they hooked up to go back down together the final part which is not too bad...they had the hard stuff behind them.

People really need to learn to check and use their GPS and map software properly....and I saw more rentals without food, extra clothing, maps, compasses, gps, etc....on Ophir, Immogene and others.....it is a wonder that there are not more accidents each year. I was told by one of the rental places they FORBID riding Black Bear in their Jeeps. LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Our trail leader C5Drvr talked a Jeep driver out of going down Pokipsi Gulch by himself! The warning was heeded and he turned around. BTW we were on the last run of the Summit on Sat P.M.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I winched a couple of guys up a hill that I was about to follow him down...and thats all I am going to say about that!

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I didn't get to rescue anyone.
In fact, even when my friend got a flat, all I could do was stand around taking photos and video of him doing the replacement.
I felt so useless.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
what! the four wheel pro slipped up? :rofl:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had to be pulled away from a tree that I slid into sideways, on my last outing to Texas. The person that helped me out, pulled up, winched me sideways away from the tree and then drove off. I never got so say thanks or even buy him a beer. So I know how it feels to be really stuck out that and have someone offer a random act of kindness.

I really think that everyone has it in them to help out the fellow 4 wheeler, even if they are driving a Hummer. :) So I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has helped someone in need and that everyone should be proud to be part of this type of community!

-C

And I'd like to thank you for saving my ass (actually for saving my vehicles ass)! I have to sheepishly admit that my venture down the side of that mountain was more than a bit foolhardy. :)

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts