Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to go out for a run this Sat. the 26th. Open to suggestions, thoughts, and comments. I would like to do something moderate (not to hard or easy).

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'll have to see. I might be taking my wifes car in to get fixed. I will probably know more into friday.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
If it's up here somewhere, I might go, but can't go very far. I'm cashing in most of my chips already by getting to go ice racing again on Sunday :)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
If it's up here somewhere, I ight go, but can't go very far. I'm cashing in ost of my chips already by getting to go ice racing again on Sunday :)
I think your M key is broken :)

Depending on what time and where, I may be able to get out this weekend. Won't know until tomorrow night though.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I think your M key is broken :)
:rofl:
Indeed......actually, it's me that's broken....it happens all the time....no matter where I'm at or which computer I'm using. For some reason, I guess I just don't press down hard enough on that key.....I'm constantly going back through stuff and retyping the freakin M key.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would love to but unfortunately my FJ will be on a lift saturday and sunday

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I was thinking Bill Moore lake to Red elephant hill. I am trying to look at the snow report, but can't access the site for some odd reason. I don't want to drive up there only to find three feet of snow.

If I can't find out or it is too snowy I am thinking of running Mt Baldy and Eagle Rock.

Here they are on trail damage.
TrailDamage.com - Bill Moore Lake
TrailDamage.com - Red Elephant Hill
TrailDamage.com - Eagle Rock
TrailDamage.com - Mount Baldy

Thoughts? Also if any can access the snow report site let me know. The web address is National Snow Analyses - NOHRSC - The ultimate source for snow information.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'll be doing homework, writing papers, finishing up assignments...oh wait that still falls under homework.

dang

HAVE FUN!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am not for sure if I am going yet or not, but I think eagle rock doesn't get any sun so I am not sure if you want to do that one. And I also think OCR14a and FJINCO did bill more in april and had to do some shoveling. But don't take my word for it I haven't been around to terribly wrong. I hope some veterans could chime in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right about Eagle Rock, but if it is impassable there is plenty of trails up there. Ya, it would be helpful if you'll chimed in.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Moody hill is covered right now in alot of snow. Some jeep buddies were up there the other weekend. You can not make it to the very top at the towers due to one area that is slanted to a bad drop of resulting in destroyed vehichle. but they made it through the whole trail exept the peak but did a lot of winching and shoveling. Eagle rock is covered in tree's and can be pretty bad to navigate even when you can see the rocks, because they randomly go up there and take a dozer to it. So one week it can be ok and the next weekend can look like a complete different trail.
As for trails I know are usually passable, Rainbow Falls can be fun if you play around on Moab Hill, Longwater and metberry gultch are pretty open to sun, so they might be passable if they are open. Slaughter house is pretty open to sun as well, but I have heard stories of people winching the whole way through some of these because of the snow.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
...And I also think OCR14a and FJINCO did bill more in april and had to do some shoveling...
Ya, and actually, it was not April, or even May, but June....the 19th (here's my page for that event).

Although things can vary widely from year to year, depending on weather conditions, etc, I can almost guarantee that Bill Moore Lake is impassable right now.

When we went in June last year, it was just getting to the 'possible' point, but was still not passable without a lot of work. We had to do a lot of shoveling and winching to get to the lake.

Even if everyone had their own winch, we still would have had to shovel a lot at some points where the snow drifts caused slanted slopes 4-5' high right over the trail from one side to the other....we cut through them with a tiny shovel too (kind of embarrassing that we both forgot to bring real shovels that time, but we got the job done).

Right now, after all of the snow we've had in recent weeks/months, even though we've had some very recent melty weather, I don't think I'd even want to spend the ga$ to get there and check.

If someone else goes up there to scout it out though, and it's not too crazy, I might be up for a snow bashing day.....just be prepared....we were on the trail for 8 or 9 hours....so, if it's anything worse than when we were there, plan on getting there early and not getting back off trail till after dark (I mean...that is, if you intend to do what we did....which was, agree that we're just going to get to the lake, no matter how long it takes).

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
I just went up to Mt Baldy and it was fine. It was actually nice and sunny up there. There was some snow on the trail but I went past the clearing with the mud holes and was doing fine. It started to get to be a little deeper snow so I turned around since I was by myself. Mt Baldy would be a definite possibility. We could see how far we got. Eagle rock meets up with it so depending on condition we may even be able to come down Eagle Rock. Anyone want to try?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes I am down for Mt. Baldy. But I am also considering Longwater and Metberry Gulch. So who is going to go out tomorrow, and what is the majority thinking?

Also thanks for the info Army Cruiser too bad you can't be out here with us.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Ok, I was thinking Bill Moore lake to Red elephant hill. I am trying to look at the snow report, but can't access the site for some odd reason. I don't want to drive up there only to find three feet of snow.

If I can't find out or it is too snowy I am thinking of running Mt Baldy and Eagle Rock.

Here they are on trail damage.
TrailDamage.com - Bill Moore Lake
TrailDamage.com - Red Elephant Hill
TrailDamage.com - Eagle Rock
TrailDamage.com - Mount Baldy

Thoughts? Also if any can access the snow report site let me know. The web address is National Snow Analyses - NOHRSC - The ultimate source for snow information.
Top of Red Elephant will not be passable, nor Empire Loop, or Bill Moore lake.. those trails are all across the street from my house. Father's day is usually when these open up. USFS doesn't like folks to go up until then also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, so I am thinking Mt. Baldy. Meet at the bottom of Gold Camp/Old Stage (where it transitions into dirt road) at 8:30am. We can just go up there and possibly come down Eagle Rock.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts