Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to gauge the level of interest in doing trail runs/camping overnighters in the area.
Not extreme: mud bogging or rock crawling but rather getting out of the city limits and seeing some nice scenery with like minded folks.

Our brethren South of the border (specifically SW USA) seem to be able to mobilize regularly - so I am just wondering if there is enough interest locally....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in for sure.

In fact just tonight I accidentally found a road from 66 out of Bragg Creek towards highway 40 in Kananaskis. I think the road/trail was called Powderface. I didn't go all the way cause it was getting dark. It was a good first adventure though. Can't wait to find more/better.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm in for sure.

In fact just tonight I accidentally found a road from 66 out of Bragg Creek towards highway 40 in Kananaskis. I think the road/trail was called Powderface. I didn't go all the way cause it was getting dark. It was a good first adventure though. Can't wait to find more/better.
The powerderface trail is a good, mild run. What I did was picked up the backroads map book for southern Alberta and go exploring the tons of trails that this book has. Did one in the crowfoot pass on monday called Alison Springs Creek road. Very nice trail, but lots of ruts. Their are a lot of old, abandoned mines in the area as well, so be careful if back country hiking. The mapbook is available at Chapters and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to find new areas to explore. They have back roads map books for Alberta and BC. :)

Here is a link:

Southern Alberta [978-1-897225-29-5] - $24.95 : Backroad Mapbooks, Fishing Mapbooks, Recreation Maps, TOPO Maps

Looks like they're adding GPS coordinates to their books as well.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You know I'm in targa, I'd love to explore some of the back roads around town. It would be a good precursor to Ouray!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Out of Medicine Hat and am looking for some activities as well. I have a nice little trail that I found near out local Provincial Park that I found last year with my 4-Runner. I made it partway then found a hill I didn't want to try. Now I have my FJ, I'm heading out again sometime soon to do a recce. I'll re-post if I feel it's worth some time for someone else to come visit for. Drop me a line if you are planning anything around the area for a weekend. Glad to have met you, and I'm looking forward to doing some dirt with you.

Peter

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I would guess you're a little farther west than what targa was talkin about Joel... but you never know, maybe we could meet halfway :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm game. Be nice to see a few more FJ's getting out in the woods.
The notion is to get past Waiparous and McClean creek....
So a couple of days into BC would be great.

Someone mentioned "Whipsaw"?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm going to Fernie June 12-15 does anybody know of anything in that area??

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've just bought my FJ and I live in the Shuswap area. (use to live in Airdrie AB).

I would be interested in doing something like this.

·
Registered
273 Posts
hi all, Just found this thread, I'm in Lake Louise and would be interested in hitting some trails. The only area I know of at the moment is Mclean Creek but I'm going to pick up that back roads book and see where it takes me. Please add me to any notice that is given about trail runs in this area. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts