Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First timer for Moab, and looking for possible trail selections for Cruise Moab. I have an FJ on stage 2 Icon lift (roughly 3") 285/75R17s, front and rear Metal Tech tube bumpers, and belly skids less the tank. I do not have rear diff protection or lower shock mounts. I am a relatively decent driver, but want to get through Moab with little to no damage as this is my daily driver, but also want to get the full experience and challenge myself.

If y'all have any suggestions on fun and challenging trails, throw some suggestions my way and i will be picking trails for Cruise Moab on 3/23/19!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
First you need to decide if you want to try and get on an overnighter. Slots for those fill up fast. If not then you need to pick day trips for T, F, S. If your worried about damage pick trails with ratings no more that a 5. Then read over the CM descriptions as they are accurate. Watch out for length of trip, no dogs and any other precautions. The scenery in Moab is simply amazing to that’s there for all runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You'll be fine for any moderate trail, even more than moderate depending on how adventurous you want to be. You could even do Golden Spike if you don't mind some scrapes on the left front and right rear corners while crossing the Golden Crack. Here are the trail ratings for Easter Jeep Safari, I would say you are good for 6 for sure, maybe 7 https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

I wouldn't worry about the diff, that is a chunk of cast iron, you have to work pretty hard to wreck it at the speeds you will be crawling. Most of Moab rock crawling is "ledgy" as opposed to bouldery, so you are usually climbing with both wheels on an axle at the same time and the diff is not at risk anyway.

Any first timer should do Hell's Revenge, the quintessential Moab trail.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,755 Posts
If you’ve never been, and you have a reasonably prepared rig, here’s my list for best moderately challenging trails with amazing scenery and a great variety of terrain: Poison Spider, 7 Mile Rim, Fins n Things, Top of the World, Elepahnt Hill, Lockhart Basin (not necessarily in that order :wink). Have fun!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You can not do Lockhart Basin, especially heading south as they plan, without some damage. You did not mention if you have sliders. If not, many of the more difficult trails could eat your rocker panels. But know that it’s easy to change trails at the event, even daily if desired. Something else to know about CM is that leaders are professionally trained and will take good care of you and your FJ.

This will be my eleventh Cruise Moab. I know how it works quite well.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Agreed, sliders are important.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
There are only a few trails you can /should not do with your set up . Sliders are pretty important . 7 mile is fun . Kane Creek is fun and challenging . You kinda have to do Hells Revenge just to do it . Poison Spider would be good .

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,755 Posts
You can not do Lockhart Basin, especially heading south as they plan, without some damage.

I ran Lockhart Basin 3 years ago (none in our group came close to damage) and did not see any obstacle that could possibly have eroded enough to cause every single driver some damage...regardless of direction traveled. Has it really changed that much? Kane Creek is a different matter - on Hamburger Hill erosion between boulders has made the ascent much more challenging and quite possibly dangerous on the cliff-edge portion. And I would assume OP has sliders :thinkerg:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I ran Lockhart Basin 3 years ago (none in our group came close to damage) and did not see any obstacle that could possibly have eroded enough to cause every single driver some damage...regardless of direction traveled. Has it really changed that much? Kane Creek is a different matter - on Hamburger Hill erosion between boulders has made the ascent much more challenging and quite possibly dangerous on the cliff-edge portion. And I would assume OP has sliders :thinkerg:

Three of us did Lockhart Basin last May. It had changed so much I kept questioning if I was on the right trail even though I had done it twice before. All trails in Moab are changing rapidly because of the thousands of SxSs swarming all over the place. Low weight, high HP and lead feet are tearing up trails. Sand roads that were fast and fun are now endless whoops that a heavy 4x4 can barely do ten mph without risk of damage. This opinion is shared by nearly all regular Moab drivers. Some who have been going there for 30+ years.

The OP listed his armor but did not mention sliders. I think it’s safe to say he doesn’t have them.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Deb is Correct . Kane Creek is difficult in spots . You 100 percent use your sliders on that trail .

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Lets see Deb thinks the OP has sliders . Pretty common and considering the other mods the OP has i think it SAFE to say he has them . ACE on the other hand Thinks it is Safe to say the OP does NOT have sliders Given his vast knowledge. . Lets see the loser has to run a I wish i was a Jeep sticker ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lets see Deb thinks the OP has sliders . Pretty common and considering the other mods the OP has i think it SAFE to say he has them . ACE on the other hand Thinks it is Safe to say the OP does NOT have sliders Given his vast knowledge. . Lets see the loser has to run a I wish i was a Jeep sticker ?
Well......... Looks like I forgot to mention I DO have sliders. Lets see the sticker>:D

Thank you and i appreciate all the suggestions. I have been going to the FJSummit for the past 3 years, but wanted to try something different this year.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Well......... Looks like I forgot to mention I DO have sliders. Lets see the sticker>:D

Thank you and i appreciate all the suggestions. I have been going to the FJSummit for the past 3 years, but wanted to try something different this year.

Good we settled the question about sliders. You very likely will take some paint off them. But if you do, it’s a sure bet you will be banging on your lower control arm mounts. They are weak and will suffer. Mine got badly torn up once. It didn’t have any great effect on drivability, but it did cost me to get them straightened out and armored.

I will be at Cruise Moab leading the Rimrocker and just absorbing more vast knowledge. Look me up.

Ace

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Got my trails selected this morning:

Rimrocker (leading) Tues/Weds
Fins and Things Thursday
Cameo Cliffs (new) Friday
Hells Revenge Saturday

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Me too. Exact same trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surprise, surprise.

BTW I’d like you to run tailgunner on Rimrocker.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts