Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question is sub-par, but Im not the electrical guru(Ive been getting by with help from guys here)...I have the TT that came with the bumper mounted Hella 500's, they are connected with a quick disconnect right behind the bezel.

Question is, can I just replace the Hella light with a PIAA 540(light only), the way I want to do it is snip the quick connect off the Hella, solder it onto my pos and neg wires coming off the PIAA light and just plug it back up and roll out. Will this work, will the Hella relays and everything work just fine with the PIAA? I believe they are identical with power requirements, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help:cheers:

·
Registered
671 Posts
As long as the power requirements are the same, then I see no reason why it won't work.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes you can piaas are just composed of a positive and ground ive done it before with my ghetto-mockup-hellas-attatched-to-the-grille-with-zipties-mod

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yooookay, guess what I am doing soon? Yep, brushing my teeth and going to bed..kidding, swapping lights. I want PIAA's cause I have 4 on my rooftop, might as well be uniform:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yooookay, guess what I am doing soon? Yep, brushing my teeth and going to bed..kidding, swapping lights. I want PIAA's cause I have 4 on my rooftop, might as well be uniform:)
hahahaha run to sears and buy craftsman 2 light spotlights on a stand for 20 bucks, i recall good times using those in the driveway after 10pm working on the fj

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahahaha run to sears and buy craftsman 2 light spotlights on a stand for 20 bucks, i recall good times using those in the driveway after 10pm working on the fj
Oh yeah, I have made that run before:)

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I'll buy the Hella 500's and will upgrade them with H3 HID bulb.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The stock circuit is 15amps so you don't want to exceed this. The calculation you need is watts divided by voltage=amps.

So if the two PIAA lights are 55W each you would calculate it like this this;

(2x55W) = 110 Watts / 12 Volts = 9.2 Amps

9.2amps is well within the 15A rating of the circuit. But, it gets better, you should use the actual voltage output of your FJ. For example my FJ runs right at 14V so for the example above the calculation is;

(2x55W) = 110W/14V=7.9W

This gives even more head room, you can use the extra head room to install a higher rated bulb which is what I did I have 100W bulbs;

(2x100W) = 200W / 14V = 14.7Amps

I don't have much room at all on this circuit. Which is why I plan on replacing the stock Hella 500's with Rugged Place HID's.

For my roof lights I used the stock wiring/circuit/switch/fuse and four 7" Rugged Place HID lights which are rated at 35W ea. The roof is also a 15A circuit so;

(4x35W)=140W / 14V = 10A

I am well within the safety margin and I have lights that are three times brighter than stock and twice as many!

Had I gone with four stock Hella 500's or PIAA or CIBIES I would have been in trouble -

(4x55W)=220W / 14V = 15.7A I would be in real danger of blowing the fuse.

Hope this helps

Hugo how are things...my washer is holding up 100% on my rig, no leaks, no deterioration...just lots of OEM connector goodness! How is yours holding up?

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll buy the Hella 500's and will upgrade them with H3 HID bulb.
I will do that for you. It will be a little while. I have a few things going and need to find a good deal on some 520's.

Hugo how are things...my washer is holding up 100% on my rig, no leaks, no deterioration...just lots of OEM connector goodness! How is yours holding up?
Hey man how's it going. The washer was perfect, I used 2 and my stuff is super-sealed with zero problems. They worked great. I am glad you got yours done. Hope you are liking it. By the math, it appears I could actually do a 85watt PIAA set light set...watta you think?

For the price, you can't beat a Hella HID swap. They're awesome!
Cool, is it a straight bulb swap?

·
Registered
671 Posts
There's a little more to it than that. I'm replacing the bulbs in my Hella 700s right now. I'll make a write-up or something in the next few days. It's pretty simple.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I will do that for you. It will be a little while. I have a few things going and need to find a good deal on some 520's.

Hey man how's it going. The washer was perfect, I used 2 and my stuff is super-sealed with zero problems. They worked great. I am glad you got yours done. Hope you are liking it. By the math, it appears I could actually do a 85watt PIAA set light set...watta you think?

Cool, is it a straight bulb swap?
Hey yes, you should be more than fine with 85W bulbs, you could probably do 100W, just check your voltage.

Glad to hear your washers are doing well. I was actually suprised just how easy the install went, took me about an hour, next day we had a hell of a rain storm, not a drop got in the cabin!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey yes, you should be more than fine with 85W bulbs, you could probably do 100W, just check your voltage.

Glad to hear your washers are doing well. I was actually suprised just how easy the install went, took me about an hour, next day we had a hell of a rain storm, not a drop got in the cabin!
Yeah my install was easy, and I had the same thing happen, after the install, all it did was rain, rain, rain. I got the test out of the way quick. I may clean the area around connecter periodically and put down a new bead just to keep her tight. Glad you are doing good. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know of any good deals going on right now for a set of PIAA 520's?
(Foggers)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts