Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so heres the deal. I have a manual TT Fj and need to remove the shift knob. I'm used to the typical thread on but this has a top and bottom section. I have removed the top section to find a nut that I cannot seem to remove. I hesitate to torque on the entirety with a wrench however I need to wire in some things ASAP. Any thoughts?

Heres a pic:

·
Registered
308 Posts
haven't seen one of these but have you looked around the knob itself for any set screws? I have seen shift knobs in the past that are placed on the shaft using inset set screws.
Just a thought....
good luck amigo :bandit:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah no set screws just a bolt. If I try to remove the bolt with a wrench the whole assembly twists. I may give a strap wrench holding the rest of the assembly still a try today. If I still cant get it I'll post pics.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
could you post pics anyhow? I am having a hard time visualizing what you are describing. I unscrewed a TT knob at the dealer and it just came right off. I didn't really look close, but I don't remember seeing a bolt. I've changed my knobs numerous times and they just screw right off.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I meant nut I said bolt. I'm no mechanic. Any thoughts. Heres the picture. Again my concern is with twisting the shift shaft in order to remove the nut shown.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I have allready adjusted mine.
It is a "nut" at the end of the gear shift shaft.
Here is how I adjusted mine:

-Remove top half, we will call this piece the cap.
-Set it aside.
-Place a strap wrench around the lower half, loosen the nut.
-Adjust the lower half by turning it on the shift lever a small ammount.
-Carefully reinstall the cap.
-Note the position of the cap's pattern.
-If further adjustment is needed, remove the cap and do so.
-When further adjustment of the lower is not needed......
-Hold the lower piece with strap wrench, tighten the nut, install the cap.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave the strap wrench a whirl this morning and no dice. I'm getting the feeling that it was set with loctite or something.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
WOW!
Mine was tight, but the strap wrench worked.
I hate to say it, but, tape the lower piece very well on the threads.
I mean place about 1/4 inch worth of masking tape.
Use some plyers or vice grips to hold the lower piece.
You may use a soldering iron, say 40 watts, placed on the nut for about 30-45 seconds. If it is indeed Lock-Tight'ed this heat will break the bond.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
yeah you just have to remove the nut that holds to bottom half on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had just the opposite issue. I hard mounted my radar detector and removed the center console to do it. The top half of the gear shift unscrewed and then I used a socket to remove the retaining nut (I think a 3/4") then unscrewed the bottom half of the knob by unscrewing from the shaft. After reinstalling the alignment wasn't quite correct visually, so I unscrewed the knob from the shaft and then couldn't get the top half unscrewed from the bottom half and now had a loose nut between the two halves. I could never get them separated, it does not appear crossthreaded because it matches up nicely and went together smoothly. I think they have a very low tolerance here. So I held the knob at the exact angle it screws onto the shaft and aligned up the the nut with the threaded hole and applied a medical spray light adhesive (for holding on bandages) but this provided a small amount of adhesive to keep the nut in place. I hoped for the best and carefully screwed the knob on to the shaft and low and behold it lined up perfectly and tightly. I have not dared to remove the knob since. I am planning to install a DVD Nav system soon and would like to see a solution to knob dis-assembly prior to undertaking this project. The problem is the cone shaping of the bottom piece and the likelihood of scratching the knob. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had just the opposite issue. I hard mounted my radar detector and removed the center console to do it. The top half of the gear shift unscrewed and then I used a socket to remove the retaining nut (I think a 3/4") then unscrewed the bottom half of the knob by unscrewing from the shaft. After reinstalling the alignment wasn't quite correct visually, so I unscrewed the knob from the shaft and then couldn't get the top half unscrewed from the bottom half and now had a loose nut between the two halves. I could never get them separated, it does not appear crossthreaded because it matches up nicely and went together smoothly. I think they have a very low tolerance here. So I held the knob at the exact angle it screws onto the shaft and aligned up the the nut with the threaded hole and applied a medical spray light adhesive (for holding on bandages) but this provided a small amount of adhesive to keep the nut in place. I hoped for the best and carefully screwed the knob on to the shaft and low and behold it lined up perfectly and tightly. I have not dared to remove the knob since. I am planning to install a DVD Nav system soon and would like to see a solution to knob dis-assembly prior to undertaking this project. The problem is the cone shaping of the bottom piece and the likelihood of scratching the knob. Hope this helps.
Ugh! I feel your pain on this one. As sort of a post update I never succeeded in removing the nut that holds on the lower part. I just worked around what I could get at.

Everyone I've had in the car says that the knobs are sick but I actually must be the first TT owner not to like them:mecry:. In any case new knobs come tomorrow and I'm still looking for solutions so I don't have to go to the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts