Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 TTUE Recall?

I was at the dealership the other day getting some parts, and I saw two 2014 TTUE's in the service lot (1mi down the road from sales lot). On the hood of one of them, written in sharpie on the plastic covering, says "Stop Sale For EOX Recall". I asked the service manager, he didn't know anything about it, didn't even know it was there. Anybody heard of this?

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: 2014 TTUE Recall?

I was thinking of getting the TTUE but when I drove down 2hours to drive one they were like this. I was told it had to do with a mislabeling of the air press on the spare tire and it would take about a week to get new stickers and make sure the spare was safe?? I guess. So I drove an Army Green one and pulled the trigger on that one.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts

The only recall I can ever remember them actually halting sales was the one for the drivers side seat belt thing.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts

Campaign E1X. Look it up in your Toyota Owner's account.

They'll probably just change the door sticker, not the tires themselves.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts

My owners account doesn't show anything. But I had already noticed the patched door sticker. I picked mine up over a month ago though.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts

What was the recommended tire pressure before the new stickers were issued? My 2008 says 32psi and I always thought the pressure was more related to the weight and weight distribution of the truck, not the tire.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

It depends on the tires. I believe the TT's with A/T tires are pumped to 46 PSI where the normal All seasons are 32PSI.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

Yeah, the dealer and Firestone ALWAYS put 46 in mine (2013 - BFG AT's) because they are load range E rated tires.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Here's what the dealer sent me about the recall

Hello District J,

Make sure to check with your service depts to see if any of your vehicles are impacted by this SSC, we will not be getting a affected inventory VIN list for this one. Below/attached is all the info on this SSC, it is also available on TIS.

Thanks,

Safety (Noncompliance) Recall E0X (E1X) - Preliminary Notice
Certain 2008 through 2014 Model Year Tacoma and FJ Cruiser Vehicles
Tire and Loading Information Label–TRD Accessory Wheels and Toyota-recommended Light Truck Tires

On August 4, 2014, Toyota filed a Noncompliance Information Report (NCIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency that certain 2008 through 2014 model year Tacoma and FJ Cruiser vehicles equipped with TRD Accessory Wheels and Toyota-recommended Light Truck (LT) tires do not conform to the requirements of FMVSS 110: Tire Selection and Rims and Motor Home/Recreation Vehicle Trailer Load Carrying Capacity Information. As a result, applicable new vehicles in dealer inventory must not be delivered until the Safety (Noncompliance) Recall is corrected.

Toyota is currently preparing the remedy for this condition.

Condition

The above listed vehicles equipped with TRD Accessory Wheels and Toyota-recommended Light Truck (LT) tires could have an overlay label installed on the original Tire and Loading Information label with the incorrect cold tire pressure inflation value for the spare tire. If these wheels and tires were installed on a vehicle prior to first retail sale with this incorrect label, the vehicle fails to meet the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 110: Tire Selection and Rims and Motor Home/Recreation Vehicle Trailer Load Carrying Capacity Information. A tire inflated to the improper tire pressure could increase the risk of a crash.

Involved Vehicles

Toyota estimates that approximately 20,000 vehicles equipped with TRD Accessory Wheels and Toyota-recommended Light Truck (LT) tires prior to first retail sale could have an overlay label installed on the original Tire and Loading Information label with an incorrect cold tire pressure inflation value for the spare tire.

In order to assure that the owners of vehicles equipped with TRD Accessory Wheels and Toyota-recommended Light Truck (LT) tires involved in this Safety (Noncompliance) Recall are notified, it will be necessary to send letters to owners of approximately 449,000 total vehicles as follows:

Model Name

Model Year

Production Period

Appx. UIO
Tacoma

Certain 2008 through 2014

TBD

FJ Cruiser

TBD

Owners of vehicles known not to have vehicles equipped with TRD Accessory Wheels and Toyota-recommended Light Truck (LT) tires at the time of first retail sale will not receive notices.

Dealerships should always verify vehicle applicability in TIS prior to vehicle delivery.

Status

· Toyota is currently preparing the remedy for this condition.
· Dealers with New Vehicles in Dealership Inventory will be directed to follow the Preliminary Notice instructions provided below.
· E0X (“E1X” until the remedy is launched) Preliminary Notice documents will be posted on TIS starting the morning of Monday, August 4, 2014.
· VINs included in this Safety (Noncompliance) Recall will be searchable on TIS starting the morning of Monday, August 4, 2014.
· The attached Dealer Daily Message will be sent to all dealerships informing them of the NCIR filing shortly after the region notice early Monday, August 4, 2014.
· Toyota anticipates it will take several days to complete the remedy preparations.

New Vehicles in Dealership Inventory

Under Title 49, Section 30112(a) of the United States Code, a dealer cannot sell, offer for sale, or introduce or deliver for introduction in interstate commerce a new motor vehicle when it is aware that the vehicle does not comply with an applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. In addition, 49 Code of Federal Regulations §577.13 requires us to provide the following advisory: it is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.

New Vehicles in Dealership Inventory that are applicable under for E0X (E1X) in TIS and equipped with TRD Accessory Wheels must not be delivered until the Safety (Noncompliance) Recall is corrected. Use the information below to determine if any New Vehicles in Dealership Inventory are affected by this Safety (Noncompliance) Recall.

Inspection Reminder Mirror Hang Tags for Covered Vehicles

To easily recognize vehicles involved in this Safety (Noncompliance) Recall, each dealership should utilize Inspection Reminder Hang Tags. Inside the vehicle’s glove box are stickers containing the VIN. Ask the dealership to apply one of these stickers to the hang tag and install the hang tag in the vehicle. A sample copy of the Inspection Reminder Hang Tag has been included for your reference.

Note: Dealerships can order Hang Tags from the Material Distribution Center (MDC).

Part Number

Description

Qty.
00411-140003

Inspection Mirror Hang Tag

(25 Per Pack)

Media Contacts

It is imperative that all media contacts (local and national) receive a consistent message. In this regard, all media contacts must be directed to Cindy Knight (310) 468-2170 in Toyota Corporate Communications. (Please do not provide this number to customers. Please provide this contact to only media associates.)

Customer Handling

If you are contacted by a customer who has questions or concerns, they are requested to contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center. The Toyota Customer Experience Center can be reached at 1‑888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday 7:00 am to 4:00 pm Pacific Time.

Dealership associates that have any questions are requested to contact their District Service/Parts Manager.

Please review this preliminary notification with your staff to assure that all relevant personnel have been briefed regarding this subject.

Thank you for your cooperation.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

That'll be interesting, considering I bought mine with the OPTIONAL TRD wheels and BFG ATs (ended up with the stock and the TRDs).

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
In aproximatley 1800 of the 2500 TTUE the two bolts attaching the front lower ball joint to the steering knuckle might get loose and fall out you will lose steering.

This is only the TTUE and potentianally happened when the front shocks and springs were being installed..

The recall says we will get a letter in September by first class mail..

My buddy owns a dealership and just through this at me its from Toyota Fast facts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
In aproximatley 1800 of the 2500 TTUE the two bolts attaching the front lower ball joint to the steering knuckle if they get loose and fall out you will lose steering.

This is only the TTUE and potentianally happened when the front shocks and springs were being installed..

My buddy owns a dealership and just through this at me its from Toyota Fast facts
Good info, thanks for passing it along!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
In aproximatley 1800 of the 2500 TTUE the two bolts attaching the front lower ball joint to the steering knuckle if they get loose and fall out you will lose steering.

pending Toyota's official recall on the matter if any :frown, any recommendation from your buddy's end? thank you. :smile

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info!
I ordered my FJ TT back in May, it got to the dealer this week and I cannot pick up the vehicle because of this issue.
Dealer couldn't even tell me details, says he is waiting to hear what TMS tells him what the remedy or repair is for the issue. Dealer also says that after they torque the bolts properly, they have to wait for a repair sticker to arrive before I can receive the vehicle.
It has been a very frustrating experience to say the least.....

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns by VIN

Please scroll down to see any applicable but not yet completed Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for your vehicle. Recent visits to your dealer for recall or campaign completions may not be reflected for several days.

This information was last updated on August 29, 2014

Results for VIN:
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Look Up A Different Vehicle

Safety Recalls:

Title
Safety Recall E0Y - Remedy Notice - Certain 2014 Model Year FJ Cruiser Vehicles - Trail Teams Ultimate Edition Package – Lower Ball Joint Bolts

Status
Remedy Available

Description
Certain FJ Cruiser vehicles are equipped with an optional “Trail Teams Ultimate Edition” package, in which the front shock absorbers and springs were replaced at Vehicle Processing Centers. In some of these vehicles, the two bolts which secure the front lower ball joint to the steering knuckle might have been tightened with insufficient torque when the front shock absorbers and springs were replaced during the installation process. In this condition, one or both bolts could become loose during driving and fall out. If both bolts fall out, the front lower ball joint could detach from the steering knuckle causing a loss of steering control, which could increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy
Any authorized Toyota dealer will inspect the lower ball joint bolts and related suspension components. If a bolt is found to be loose, it will be properly tightened to specification. If a bolt is found to be missing, a new one will be installed. The inspection and remedy procedure will be performed at No Charge to the vehicle’s owner.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts