Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading the forums and hearing wind of the Southeast screw up as well I decided to call Toyota once again. After about 20 minutes on the phone the lady agreed that there will be no Trail Teams and that they might not even have it at all. She said it is just an upgrade 3 package and if they do come out with the TT it won't be until later this year (and she said it didn't look like they were going to produce it).

I told her this is my first Toyota and that I find it rather poor that I am finding out information on the internet forums rather than Toyota or the dealership. I was told just 1 week ago from Toyota HQ and the dealership that I would be getting a Trail Teams edition. Kind of poor business if you ask me. I asked what kind of compensation could the people who have put deposits down and been waiting. She said there would be none because no one paid for the trail teams package.

Jeez man, at least throw us a free supercharger for this mess:bigthumb: Then just maybe might I turn my frown upside down:mecry:

I'm disappointed like most of you are and I always try to give the benefit of the doubt, but I thought I'd share this information (not that some of you didn't have it already). For those of you that are going to wait, Milton Ruben Toyota thinks they will come out in June, but the lady at Toyota said she don't think they will come out.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Wow I waited all this time for an Army Green Trail Teams and now they aren't making ANY? What a let down.

I don't understand why since they screwed up one batch they aren't gunna do any..

·
Registered
53 Posts
So, I'm not sure who at Toyota you are talking to...the dealer? They know less than we do. After I read this I called my friend at the port (who is a employee of Toyota corporate). She says that as far as the port has been told that the are building the TT in March and we should see them coming in late April. Now, she says "you never know", so she will do a little digging for me and see if there has been a change of plans.

Not that the dealership would lie, but if you were sitting on a few of the "upgrade 3 package" units - it might be helpful if buyers thought that they couldn't get a real TT. I will post whatever I hear and that said, I'm waiting for April.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TTSE Woes continue....

Put a 1K retainer at my local South Florida dealership for a 2011 TTSE last month. I placed the order as soon as they came into inventory thru the web site. I counted 25 with the TTSE package.
Said dealer called today to state that those 25 headed to Florida were not built with the TTSE package, though they were all Army Green, and would be offered as "Special" Package #3. It seems the whole allocation was screwed up, and the inventory has those 25 as Army Green with Grey interior, no TTSE at all. This is what has already been reported in this forum.
Dealer said I should know by next week when a real TTSE will be available.

Does anybody have any info on when TTTSE's will come on line?

Jorge

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I'm not sure who at Toyota you are talking to...the dealer? They know less than we do. After I read this I called my friend at the port (who is a employee of Toyota corporate). She says that as far as the port has been told that the are building the TT in March and we should see them coming in late April. Now, she says "you never know", so she will do a little digging for me and see if there has been a change of plans.

Not that the dealership would lie, but if you were sitting on a few of the "upgrade 3 package" units - it might be helpful if buyers thought that they couldn't get a real TT. I will post whatever I hear and that said, I'm waiting for April.
My dealer was told the trail teams would be available in May but he said June the latest. The woman I spoke with at Toyota Headquarters told me she doubts they will be built. This is the organized info I got. It doesn't matter what your port is telling you because they originally told my salesman the TT was there. They are jacked up

·
Registered
370 Posts

exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP.
I was all nervous about the "limited" availability of the 2010 TT and probably spent more on it than I should have. I later saw one sitting on the lot for weeks. Be patient.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well that is a swift kick in the pants...I ordered my TT two weeks ago in North Central Florida and now I have to call the dealer in order to confirm this. I wonder if I show up when it comes in if they will try and pass it off as a TT. I remember specifically asking if this will be a TT with roof rack, bilstien shocks, etc. If they expect me to buy this "Upgrade Package 3" they better drastically reduce the price.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would've asked her why they are advertising a 2011 Trail Teams edition still on Toyota.com (and in print - I've got the brochure) if they aren't going to (or might not) make one.

The strange thing to me is that many FJ pwners are fanatical about this vehicle yet Toyota seems to take them for granted (inner fender issue, 1st year editions blowing out diffs and not covered by warranty, this TT fiasco etc.). I owned a 2007 that I bought in 2006 and had to get rid of ot for various reasons at the time. I am in the market for one again because I love them, but honestly if a Jeep were more reliable it would be on the table as an option.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well that is a swift kick in the pants...I ordered my TT two weeks ago in North Central Florida and now I have to call the dealer in order to confirm this. I wonder if I show up when it comes in if they will try and pass it off as a TT. I remember specifically asking if this will be a TT with roof rack, bilstien shocks, etc. If they expect me to buy this "Upgrade Package 3" they better drastically reduce the price.
Don't count on it. I have TT on order. The agreed on price is $33k, roughly $400 above invoice. I was supposed to get one of the first TTs, offloaded in Long Beach on Jan 29th. It is one of the 51 original production models missing the TT parts. It was re-designated as an Upgrade Pkg 3 (US). Toyota outfitting it with all the options at the port except the TRD wheels/tires, Bilstein shocks, inverter/AC outlet and multi-ball gauge cluster the dealer invoice is $30,900. It is more economical to wait for proper TT than to replace the wheels/tires and shocks.

I have the same info as 'Zona FJ, the source being the Denver Regional Sales Manager, about the March production being the first run of the TT SE. One other tidbit is that there is an updated pricing on the SE, adding $250 to the dealer invoice. That makes me think that as of last week Toyota was still planning on producing the TT SE.

If not, Toyota may find itself in a PR and legal problem if they advertised, took deposits on and failed to produce the TT SE, instead trying to sell only the Upgrade pkg 3. It may come under 'consumer fraud' as a type of bait and switch. There appears to be more 'mark up' potential in the Upgrade Package 3....hereby christened by me as the 'Not So Special Edition' (NSSE).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you think it would be worth just getting a regular non-NSSE and build-up with TT type mods or will this TT be worth the unknown wait?
I'm willing to wait until 1) Memorial Day or 2) my Tacoma forces me to get something else. If the TTSE hasn't become available by then, I would guess it won't be.

Unless the monotone Army Green is a 'must', the parts and pieces of the TT package (minus the black TRD wheels) are available in the other packages. There is one vendor doing a look alike TRD wheel ($250/wheel).

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Do you think it would be worth just getting a regular non-NSSE and build-up with TT type mods or will this TT be worth the unknown wait?
If you plan on doing any suspension mods in the future just get the standard model with the offroad package. You can put the money towards and ICON lift, some bigger tires and a painted roof (if that is important to you) :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lady from Toyota said "there will be no compensation, or discounts because no one paid for the trail teams package and only put down deposits". You can't really call it bait and switch because you aren't being locked in to the deal. I personally think its foolish to wait out another 3 months that could turn into another 3 months that could not even be produced. For me it isn't practical because I need a vehicle now not in June.

Good luck with your quest

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
cancel your order, buy a stock green 4x4 with rear locker, use the ten grand you would of spent on sub par parts and a hundred dollar badge set off ebay and build it better.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
cancel your order, buy a stock green 4x4 with rear locker, use the ten grand you would of spent on sub par parts and a hundred dollar badge set off ebay and build it better.
Agreed. It seems like the serious wheelers that bought TT’s in the past have replaced the TT specific hardware with better components anyway.

If you like the blackout / steelies / color-matched roof, the #3 package is ideal for you! “TTSE” is essentially marketing, pure and simple. Paint the handles/bumper/mirrors black – hey! More $$ for Toyota! Paint the roof the same color as the body (which actually costs them less) – hey! More $$ for Toyota! There is a lot that we, a humans, pay for with no tangible added value in return.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting....thanks for the input guys. My contact at the dealership says they are holding on to these "upgrade 3" vehicles until the TTSE accessories come in. They then plan to put together the TTSE's together here in the states. In the meanwhile I will think about whether to get a stock off-road package and doing the mods myself or stick it out and wait with my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you want capability beyond the out-of-the-box trail teams, it does probably make sense to buy a different model and do your mods.

I have a strong feeling that the actual TTSE in stock configuration, if well cared for, will be a collectors item in the future. Who knows, 2011 might be the last model year right? (Here we go again with discontinuation speculation...) Maybe 2010 was the last year for all we know!

Personally, I'm going to hold off a few more weeks for my 2011 TTSE 6MT to see if Toyota clears the air on these vehicles. I plan to keep mine stock and relatively "babied", although I also plan to hit the trails plenty. Paradox?! :thinkerg:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts