Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow FJ'rs, need help. Purchased the FJ trailer hitch and harness and the harness kit has 0 intructions. Normally would have thrown them away anyways, but a couple of the included parts have me concerned. Kit included main harness (pretty straight forward), but the other parts?

questions:
1) does anyone have an instruction sheet they could get a picture of?
if not ...
2) item in upper left of top picture and in second picture, what is it and where does it go? (h/d turn signel?)
3) foam pad things and tie wraps, what and where?
4) fuses and relay, I assume these are spares?
5) I assume the main harness just plugs into the tap located underneath the vehicle at the drivers side rear of the vehicle?

Any help greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
260 Posts
The way its mounted on the vehicle is for ease of use, it won't last 4 wheelin, my friend said, it would be worth it to raise the plug up out of the way behind the bumper when you install the bracket, so it won't get ripped up or off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
SwissArmySuv said:
Fellow FJ'rs, need help. Purchased the FJ trailer hitch and harness and the harness kit has 0 intructions. Normally would have thrown them away anyways, but a couple of the included parts have me concerned. Kit included main harness (pretty straight forward), but the other parts?

questions:
1) does anyone have an instruction sheet they could get a picture of?
if not ...
2) item in upper left of top picture and in second picture, what is it and where does it go? (h/d turn signel?)
3) foam pad things and tie wraps, what and where?
4) fuses and relay, I assume these are spares?
5) I assume the main harness just plugs into the tap located underneath the vehicle at the drivers side rear of the vehicle?

Any help greatly appreciated...

This should be what you are after.

http://www.fjcruiserownersgroup.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=28

Good Luck
Jay

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Jay the instruction sheet is great! Here is a picture of the converter that is installed under the dash above the drivers kick plate.

A little closer.

Here is what the underside of the FJ looks like with the wire harness installed.

Good luck with the install!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man oh man ........ absolutely perfect!
thanks a million to all who responded. everything I needed and more.
also, I was looking at the less than perfect mounting position of the 4-pin socket, good idea at moving the location.

1 last tip or thought ...
if I had to do it over, I probably would have still gotten the factory harness, but I may have opted for a non-factory hitch. liked the looks of the hidden hitch brand that mounts to the side rails vs. the rear cross member. hangs a little lower (why I bought the factory version) but you would not have to go through the mickey mouse crap of taking all the bumper "facia" stuff off and it would have been about $20-25 less.

thanks again everybody. great forum.

·
Registered
137 Posts
bigbill25 said:
Excellent first post Jay! Mine comes Monday and I hadn't found that one yet...

--Bill
Bill,

I think all the instructions over at fjcruiserownersgroup are supplied by Matt, just seems like he doesnt have the harness install pdf's up on trdsource. I found it by accident, and almost couldnt find it again. I have been lurking, reading, and waiting for my dealer to get something I can live with. My closest dealer doesnt preference:( so it is a waiting game. If it doesnt happen reasonably soon, I will start looking elsewhere, but had a bad experience not buying my wife's 2005 Mustang from the local dealer, god forbid! We dont have the luxury here in WV that I had when I lived in NJ or even in central PA with high dealer density. Biding my time for now.

Later
Jay

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jay, I understand the local thing, but if you want to reconsider, I really was pleased with the dealer I used in Northeast Indiana. I know they currently have a blue one available. Sell at list.

·
Registered
791 Posts
SwissArmySuv said:
Thanks RenoMan, however, had that one (it is just for the hitch). Need the one for the harness.
Oops, sorry. But it looks like you got the answer. Welcome to the madness.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: trailer hitch harness (done ... with custom mods)

Harness is done. Help supplied by the forum did the trick.
Did not like the stock location of the plug. Would have to lengthen the
harness from the trailer to fit and also would have to get down on knees
to plug it in.

Here's what I did:

Fabricated a new aluminum bracket to mount to an existing frame hole

Rerouted the harness wires slightly to make them long enough to
reach the new location.

When you stand back, the bracket is the same as the gray facia. Now it's
easy to use!

·
Registered
249 Posts
nice job!

I'll have to wait and see how mine comes. It sure seems to make sense putting it where you did. I might have to twist the arm of a buddy to build me a bracket like that one

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Very nice!

By the way, did you like the piece of styro-foam inserted between the bumper and the frame? It's even stamped with the Toyota logo. How long will it take for the styro-foam to degrade, break then fall out?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts