Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I've Googled around trying to find this product and maybe it doesn't even exist, but I figured I would ask here and being the newbie forum area I hopefully won't get too badly made fun of. :rofl:

What I'm looking for is some form of light that I could plug into the trailer hitch electrical connection and would mount in the trailer hitch that would come on when in reverse and light things up. Now, I admit I don't pull a trailer (hitch came as part of the FJ and I was fine with having it since it did no harm), so I don't even know if the electrical connection provides the necessary info to make this work.

I came across this:

Amazon.com: Light Buster Trailer Hitch Light: Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more

But it doesn't go into the square receiver, I'm not even sure what round hole they show it going into, but it pretty much is what I'm looking for.

"Dual function lets you use it as a utility light for setting up camp, trailering the boat or whatever, or set it to back-up function and you'll have more than enough light to avoid backing over your kids' toys as you pull out of the driveway."

So knowing that people here have just about every neat toy out there on someone's rig, I figured it was worth a shot. :wave:

Thanks in advance!

Ok, something like this:

Amazon.com: Bully CR-025 LED Hitch Brake Light: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more

except with white lights and that came on with reverse instead of brakes would be basically what I'm wanting. Yet can't seem to find. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
that plugs into the electrical hookup for the trailer. The light in the picture is going into the electrical connection.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had a Whitenight receiver mounted light for a few years now on my 2000 Ford Expedition. It works great. Also works nicely in my front receiver. Mine slips into the 2" receiver and plugs into my trailer plug. Though if I had to buy one all over again, I'd get the model that doesn't mount in the receiver but mounts around it so you can still use the hitch.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
on your FJ do you have a 7pin round connector that is illustrated. I haven't ordered my hitch yet, but there should be a connector there for the reverse lights.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had a Whitenight receiver mounted light for a few years now on my 2000 Ford Expedition. It works great. Also works nicely in my front receiver. Mine slips into the 2" receiver and plugs into my trailer plug. Though if I had to buy one all over again, I'd get the model that doesn't mount in the receiver but mounts around it so you can still use the hitch.
*steeples fingers*

Excellent. :bigthumb:

I'm sure I could hook up my own lights using the mod thread but I'm not sure it would end up being cheaper and would almost certainly end up being a lot uglier. :lol::rofl:

I think Whitenight is going to end up on my Xmas list.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ive put the visionx solo LED in the trailer hitch. Fits perfect as its a 2x2 square and the hitch is 2x2 inner dimensions.

And unfortunately, there is *NO* plug and play to the trailer hitch for backup lights. The 4 pin connector only has parking, brakes, and turn signals. I put the little asterisk on no because you can make a wireless remote relay to turn on backup lights.
See what I mean here http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/50872-back-up-lights-3.html#post1221764 (3rd page, post 30).

Its actually pretty simple to do, but, and heres the big but, its easier, cheaper, simpler, and more reliable to just use a 3ft wire, snaked through the big huge body grommet by the jack, to turn on a relay with the reverse lights. You can use the trailer hitch for power if you want, but remember, trailer lights only come on when your parking lamps are on. Its great for me... stock backup lights normally, and if I want my aux backup lights, I just turn on the headlamps before or while backing up (which I do when its dark anyways).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And unfortunately, there is *NO* plug and play to the trailer hitch for backup lights. The 4 pin connector only has parking, brakes, and turn signals.
:mecry: In that case this looks like it will have to be put off for about 7 months until good weather returns. :cowfrown: If there is no way to just plug it into the 4 pin harness and I'll have to tear into things I won't be doing it in 40 degree temps. It'll just have to wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ducky previously said:
And unfortunately, there is *NO* plug and play to the trailer hitch for backup lights. The 4 pin connector only has parking, brakes, and turn signals. I put the little asterisk on no because you can make a wireless remote relay to turn on backup lights.
See what I mean here https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/50872-back-up-lights-3.html#post1221764 (3rd page, post 30).

Its actually pretty simple to do, but, and heres the big but, its easier, cheaper, simpler, and more reliable to just use a 3ft wire, snaked through the big huge body grommet by the jack, to turn on a relay with the reverse lights. You can use the fastest writing service for wiring tutorials of the trailer hitch for power if you want, but remember, trailer lights only come on when your parking lamps are on. Its great for me... stock backup lights normally, and if I want my aux backup lights, I just turn on the headlamps before or while backing up (which I do when its dark anyways).
Hi,

I still can't decide on a trailer hitch for my truck. What should I pay attention to in the first place, if I want to use the trailer hitch for power? I found a couple of reviews and quite positive comments about the LEDTH-30X5W trailer hitch mounted work light. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

·
A-Team Moderator
8,200 Posts
@grahamexl

This thread is 9 years old and ducky hasn't been on here in almost 3 yrs.

OEM trailer hitches are available at Amazon and I'm sure you can find a light.

NestahEdition = forum member made bumper wing lights, you can use the Search for those. There's numerous options available.

I'm really curious as to the want/need for a Larson LEDTH-30X5W $1700.00 USD 150 watt, 15K lumen light on an 8 foot pole off the back of an FJ?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts