Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'm kind of in a pickle.
When I bought the FJ a year ago, I had no intentions of towing anything so did not get the tow package. I ended up getting a hitch from a forum member a few months ago for recovery purposes.

Now, I am having an off road trailer built that will be ready before Summit, and I don't have the trailer hitch wiring.

What's the most cost/ time efficient way to get a wiring harness back there for the trailer?

I've been told that I can just pick up the wiring at Pep Boys, etc. and splice it in to an existing pigtail or something like that.

I'm on a time/ budget crunch with Summit nearing.

HELP!

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Get the Toyota wiring - it's a very easy plug-in install < 10 to 30 minutes depending upon how quickly and easily you find the plug under the dash - search for instructions and pics in forum threads. I can't remember the cost, but believe that it would be worth the extra cost to not have to splice into wires.

·
Registered
104 Posts
no go to the toyota dealer that sells on ebay and get the whole kit with all the fuses and relays, and the whole kit is not expensive and has all the wiring diagrams and can be put in by a moron. Took me a total of 15 min. And it is all factory with factory sealed connectors.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no go to the toyota dealer that sells on ebay and get the whole kit with all the fuses and relays, and the whole kit is not expensive and has all the wiring diagrams and can be put in by a moron. Took me a total of 15 min. And it is all factory with factory sealed connectors.
Do you happen to have a link?

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is it sparks toyota that is a supporting vendor? I think they are associated to a dealership but I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
TRDparts4u is of toyota of dallas. Talk to either jacque or gerone and i am sure they could hook you up.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thats the one! I was scrolling through the vendor list trying to put it together. Thanks for the correction Layonn.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Thats the one! I was scrolling through the vendor list trying to put it together. Thanks for the correction Layonn.
No probs!

They are good people so i buy from there anytime i need toyota stuff. I'd much rather give a dealership that supports the FJ and people that use it the way it was designed for rather than my lame-o dealership.

I am going to pull a small hi-jack real quick.
Anyone know an easy way to have a 7-pin round connector installed rather than the 4pin? Or at least a 5 pin? All wakeboard boat trailers have surge brakes and MOST have a 7 pin connector.
I looked at Wal-mart but couldn't find a way to attach it without pulling out the soldering iron.
hijack over.

·
Registered
382 Posts
No probs!

They are good people so i buy from there anytime i need toyota stuff. I'd much rather give a dealership that supports the FJ and people that use it the way it was designed for rather than my lame-o dealership.

I am going to pull a small hi-jack real quick.
Anyone know an easy way to have a 7-pin round connector installed rather than the 4pin? Or at least a 5 pin? All wakeboard boat trailers have surge brakes and MOST have a 7 pin connector.
I looked at Wal-mart but couldn't find a way to attach it without pulling out the soldering iron.
hijack over.
These guys are good - they helped me out when we had our UK balloon trailer shipped over.

Try these:

West Marine: Trailer Connectors and Adapters Product Display

Or an uber-convertor . . .

Innovative Products Of America Trailer Adapter - 7 (Spade) To 6 Rounds and 4/5 Pin (IPA8000)

·
Registered
478 Posts

That one is not nearly as plug-n-play as the factory adapter. It looks like you'll be plugging inline to rear lights probably on both sides to get Turn and Brake. And you'll have to run wire to a switched plus up front. It costs more but; just get the factory kit. It has everything, it plugs in to factory installed connectors and has the bolts/bracket to mount the connector on the bumper. You don't have to disassemble anything, splice any wires or run additional cable. The factory kit will make this a 15 minute install.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I went to the toyo dealer two days ago and purchased the factory kit directly from the dealer it was 106 dollars comes with everything u need including the module and wiring and instructions everything is plug in so i would reccomend a trip to the nearest dealer!

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
There were some that tried to do the do-it-yourself
type kit and not the toyota factory setup way back
in mid 06', and found that they were causing a code
to come up, since they change the voltage flow by
adding the additional wires and such, without the
factory components that the Toyota kit includes...

be safe and get the factory get, whether direct from
a toyo' vender here, or through ebay...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'm gonna give my local Toyota dealer (Claremont) a call. They're forum vendors and I'm sure they'll hook me up!
That's the way I did it. Got the hitch and harness from them during the M&G - had it installed in an hour or so the following day - harness pretty easy to install - the only problem I had was that one of the installers on something else had already used the pre-drilled hole on the side of the wheel-well where the convertor box goes for an earth point. Had to do a bit of standing on my head to get it fitted.

Be prepared to spend some time upside down under your steering wheel!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I got the one like the one from EBay and it cost me somewhere around $45. The instructions that came with it were for a Mazda and I was not sure what to do. I went to the manufacturers website and they had the instructions for the FJ. I printed them off and went to work. The setup up was pretty easy and works just fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts